trading draft picks Topic

Posted by caesari on 1/25/2012 9:54:00 PM (view original):
Oh nordiq- I mean, uh, nauds.... Nothing to say?
What should i respond to? Don't see it
1/25/2012 10:29 PM (edited)
OK fine.

Nauds do you share the ratings of draft prospects that you download with your friend nordique at any time?

Did you tell him who to rank in what order when you made a draft pick trade with him?
1/26/2012 8:10 AM
I've already answered this question many times. The answers no. And like I said submit a ticket and have CS check our trade chat
1/26/2012 8:48 AM
I'm sure you have other means to talk to your BFF than a weak trade chat system on this website...
1/26/2012 8:54 AM
Seriously.  If I were going to give someone a list, I'd get an email address and send them a spreadsheet.  Since this is your 5th season there and you traded picks a few seasons ago, the TC exchanging email addresses is long gone.
1/26/2012 9:00 AM
You've basically said that you two are buddies outside of WIS.  You admitted that the trading of draft picks was something that didn't happen in that league until you entered it, which tells me that it was either your idea, or nordique brought you in because he knew you two could do it together.  You admit that you have 20/20 in scouting and keep spreadsheets of draft boards.  And you admit that you have done a draft pick trade with nordique in the past.  All signs point to collusion, and your best defense is "no, have CS check our trade chats?"  If the new commish doesn't kick both of you out at rollover, then you guys might as well have kept the absentee commish for another few seasons. 
1/26/2012 9:24 AM
Posted by nauds3000 on 1/26/2012 8:48:00 AM (view original):
I've already answered this question many times. The answers no. And like I said submit a ticket and have CS check our trade chat
Since you are friends there would be no reason to use trade chat so that is just silly to keep saying that. If I have a friend I play the game with I don't communicate with him through trade chat or site mail.
1/26/2012 10:07 AM
I'm not sold on kicking them out and frankly there are 30 other people who should have more say in that than me. I think the league just needs to set up rules about if they want to trade picks. Other than the fact that they may have shared info (nauds even you have to admit it looks pretty suspicious) they have not broken any hard and fast rules. Now the league chat got pretty heated but hey that stuff happens.
1/26/2012 10:13 AM
To me the issue with trading picks is pretty simple. If I were to trade for a pick I would want control over who was picked. That means if you pick 25th I am telling you who to rank in at least your top 15-20 players. That is where things get sticky.  A simple rule saying you can not share info would be impossible to enforce.

What is to keep me and another owner from trading picks say the 102nd for the 134th and then sharing all our draft information? No one could prove we did because we would obviously send the lists through e-mail.

Taking it a step further if I am smart I set my budget to 0/0 and trade at least 1 pick between 50-100 every season so someone else can do my scouting for me.

The only way I can see trading picks working is if everyone has to set their scouting budgets to 0/0 or 20/20 so that you can be reasonably sure that everyone has the same information and that there is very little incentive to share lists.
1/26/2012 10:25 AM
it just makes sense to me to make it a rule that draft pick trading is not allowed period. 
1/26/2012 12:43 PM

If it's done behind the scenes, no one knows.   Someone spoke up about the picks they were getting.    That's what started this.  

1/26/2012 12:54 PM
Posted by greeny9 on 1/26/2012 12:43:00 PM (view original):
it just makes sense to me to make it a rule that draft pick trading is not allowed period. 
   There would be no way for Admin to enforce it as an automatic rule. You can not trade the player the year he is drafted and you can not really trade picks. This really is a trade that says player A for player B and a player to be named later. I can not see where I would want to be in a world that allows that even if I knew every owner in the league. Heck even in the tabletop games that I played with my best friends years ago we would not allow things like that.

What Admin has said is that you are not supposed to do it unless your world has a rule that specificly allows it but even that can only be loosly enforced.  The problem with allowing it is that there are just too many ways for the rule to be abused.
1/26/2012 1:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/26/2012 12:54:00 PM (view original):

If it's done behind the scenes, no one knows.   Someone spoke up about the picks they were getting.    That's what started this.  

Yup and this is how in any world with active owners these get exposed and vetoed because someone will post "Can somebody explain this trade to me before I veto it?"
1/26/2012 2:14 PM
And that's the way to do it.  If a trade cannot stand up to scrutiny on it's own merits because of unequal value, then you can (and should) veto it.
1/26/2012 2:16 PM
Expanding on this a bit, and I know we don't really care for the whole idea of trading picks because of the obvious collusive activity that is likely to occur, how does HBD Nation feel about a PTBNL?   Say a draft pick, already chosen, for a current player on a BL team?   You can't trade a draftee in his first season.  But, if one wanted to deal a player and couldn't find a good match with available players, he could make a deal with available players and a PTBNL(the draftee) that could be completed before ST next season.

There's still the chance of collusion("rank these guys and we'll make a deal right after the draft if you get the one I want") but you are dealing current, visible to all players.
1/27/2012 8:57 AM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...32 Next ▸
trading draft picks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.