World Rankings- Updated Topic

Posted by robusk on 4/19/2012 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dmurphy104 on 4/19/2012 8:18:00 AM (view original):
if you have something constructive to add, go ahead. Or if you have a better method or truly give a ****, come up with your own rankings. Averages were taken because thats what is available. Show me a better method with data that can quickly be captured, and I'll be all aboard.
Well, given what you are trying to do, I have no understanding of what the value of using averages is.  Why not something simple and useful, like median absolute deviation?  Wouldn't that tell you a much better story between the haves and have nots?  I just have a great dislike for people trying to pawn themselves off as an expert on stuff they don't know anything about...  especially in this case when you have such an exceedingly poor reputation as an owner.
I am in no way passing myself as an expert. It's an internet game that I enjoy. I came up with my rankings for the hell of it and opened it up for debate and criticism to try and drive improvements. It has generated some good discussion and people seem interested in it whether they agree or not. Maybe someone else shares your opinion and is working on an improved system. I hope that does happen.

The intenet superiority from you has really been old since the moment it started.
4/19/2012 2:39 PM

His worlds are genrerally highly ranked. He just likes to feel superior.

4/19/2012 2:54 PM (edited)
Posted by raidersfan on 4/19/2012 12:35:00 PM (view original):
curious if you used season 21 or 22 for cochrane?  we are in the playoff in season 22 so the reg season is finished.  i am finally getting a handle on the league after 5-6 seasons private.  we were initially a public league with high turnover, shoddy ownership, lopsided deals, etc.  This past season we returned everyone from season 21.  Albeit there is some parity, Florida is incredible and San Diego is really bad, but I won't as commish remove a guy from the league who has been there for 13 seasons (from before we were private) because he enjoys the game but is not very successful at it, that is just wrong IMHO...  The most important statistics in a league to me are owner enjoyment and turnover.  As a commish if the owners in my league enjoy being a part of it they return season after season and that continuity makes it a lot of fun.  That is by no means a stab at you dmurph as we appreciate the work you put into this.  At the end of the day if my owners return ranking are irrelevant because noone else is joining!  
I used season 21. I just plugged in season 22 and it moved Cochrane up just 1 spot.

The rankings arent really a measurement of owner enjoyment. I know Ive been in worlds that are not competitive, have major tankers, and 120+loss teams and every body is happy as a clam.

These are meant to be more a ranking of comptitiveness (measured by looking at the top and bottom teams) and overall quality (pitching and fielding measurements)

The criteria seems to be really good at measuring the very top worlds and the very worst. Theres alot of room in the middle for debate amongst the worlds. I feel my next update will be an improbvement at measuring the teams in the middle.
4/19/2012 2:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/19/2012 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Sounds like somebody is in a world or three that didn't do so well.
Actually, I don't really care.  I play in the worlds where I know a lot of people.  However, I first hand saw dmurph ruin franchises and disapprove of people paying attention to what he has to say about HBD because he is a 'tard owner.  That is all.
4/19/2012 3:04 PM
Posted by dmurphy104 on 4/19/2012 2:54:00 PM (view original):

His worlds are genrerally highly ranked. He just likes to feel superior.

This is the first factually correct thing you have posted in this thread.
4/19/2012 3:05 PM
Posted by robusk on 4/19/2012 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Actually, I don't really care.  I play in the worlds where I know a lot of people.  However, I first hand saw dmurph ruin franchises and disapprove of people paying attention to what he has to say about HBD because he is a 'tard owner.  That is all.
you saw me ruin franchises? Yeah there was a time when I was inactive and I had asked to be replaced in Shtickless and bot never found a replacement. I take the blame for that. But if you look at the team I had, I didnt ruin the franchise--I ran it poorly--was absentee--partly because of personal **** at the time and partially because its a bad world from a pure gameplay standpoint--the last straw was when a trade wouldnt get vetoed after an owner blatantly said hed trade x player if someone signed his type B. Look at the record after I left--the franchise wasnt in shambles, I admit I let it go and spent no time on it.
4/19/2012 3:22 PM
You have 6 franchises right now and only one of them has a winning record.
4/19/2012 3:31 PM
i took over the worst turd in HBD in Guiness and have them at .500

I was a mid-season replacement this season in Ripken Jr. Owner didnt hire coaches or anything and team was completely fatigued.

46-49 in HIGA taking over a 100 loss team.

Struggling a bit in Parks (59-62)

Just under .500 in Kenny Powers. Treading water a bit.

So, Im not tearing it up, but most these teams are new and I generally take over the garbage teams. Im sure I could cherry pick my way to better records, but thats not fun to me. Im definately not trashing these teams. I surely wont be making questionable long term signings on the way out the door.

4/19/2012 3:42 PM
Posted by robusk on 4/19/2012 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Someone who doesn't really care just drops a "**** you" and moves on.   You haven't been able to move on.   Hence, I think you care.  Deeply.
4/19/2012 3:52 PM
Its all in the eye of the beholder.  Cobbfather only did o.k. (56), but three season running every owner has returned which says something about the world.  BTP is my highest ranked world and I'm winning there, but I am not in love with my team.  Puckett is a bottom 20 ranked world, but I love the team so if I have to give a team up I know which one has to go.
4/20/2012 3:00 PM
You've been in BTP for one season.   It's my contention that no one "loves" their team until their first draftees/IFA signings hit the bigs. 
4/20/2012 3:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/20/2012 3:22:00 PM (view original):
You've been in BTP for one season.   It's my contention that no one "loves" their team until their first draftees/IFA signings hit the bigs. 
I don't completely agree.  For me its a matter of expectations.  I expected to win 90-95 in BTP and won 94.  Nothing exciting about that.  In a couple of other worlds I have exceeded my estimated win totals in my first season quite a bit which gets exciting.  Puckett would be the best example.  Take over an 80 win team, make some changes that get criticized, win 99 and make the WS allowing me to tell people to shove it.  I didn't but it felt good to be able to if I wanted.
4/20/2012 3:54 PM
Well, I can't really argue with you as to why YOU love a team.   But most people don't feel connected to a team for a few seasons.  I think it's because it becomes "their" team at some point.   And I think that point is when the prospects they draft/sign are nearing BL status.
4/20/2012 3:57 PM

These rankings arent really a measurement of how the current owners like the world. If that were the intent, I could just look at turnover. But I think they do a decent job at capturing competitiveness and overall quality. It's clear that there are a bunch of leagues with a mix of dudes that like being in a league together with very low turnover--and it doesnt matter if its real competitive. And that's cool.

4/20/2012 4:08 PM
Could you please do more rankings on how cool a world is.. Thanks in advance..
4/20/2012 5:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...14 Next ▸
World Rankings- Updated Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.