What will WifS do? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 10/8/2012 1:35:00 PM (view original):
So, if we "used to roll almost 3 per day", we had a lot of days where none rolled.

You can't pick a slow period, one that HAPPENS EVERY YEAR AT THE SAME TIME, and say "Wow.  Things are horrible right!!"

I've been around here since 2007, and my perception is that this is the slowest slow period I've ever seen.
10/8/2012 3:03 PM
I'm pretty sure it was this bad last year at this time.  Too many inbalanced worlds with not enough dummies stupid enough to join..
10/8/2012 3:26 PM
I just bumped two threads.  One from last September bemoaning the amount of openings.   One from December saying "Hey, look, no openings."

Read 'em and say "You know what?  Ol' MikeT23 is right.  As always."
10/8/2012 3:49 PM
181 openings.  A new high?
10/15/2012 8:40 AM
Probably not.
10/15/2012 8:51 AM
Pretty sure its never hit 180 before.

With no more worlds scheduled to roll in the next 2 days, that number will dwindle a little. It'll be interesting to see how much.
10/15/2012 11:13 AM
Posted by profgreen on 10/3/2012 7:41:00 PM (view original):
This is a start.

9/27/2012 1:18 PM profgreen
Is there ANYTHING in the works or is anyone at WIS thinking about what to do with all of these world openings? Offering free or discounted seasons? Anything?

Please don't insult us by replying that "WIS is not planning to do anything at this time" Give us something.

Please

Thanks
10/3/2012 9:59 AM Customer Support
We appreciate your concern.

In the coming weeks we will start a cross promotion campaign with our fantasy baseball user base on FoxSports.com. We hope that this will generate interest and, in turn, cause some of the openings to be filled. In addition to that we are discussing a promotion to coincide with the 2012 World Series. 

Thank you.
FoxSports could have Joe Buck mention the site once or twice and drive some traffic. They won't, but they could.

And with no planned improvements to the game (just asked), tough to justifying paying anything to promote the site, even if it's a quick mention.
10/15/2012 12:15 PM
You're assuming people listen to Joe Buck.   I think that's a poor assumption.
10/15/2012 1:11 PM
What I've seen lately in my worlds is that long-term owners (10 seasons plus with same team), really good and knowledgable owners, are leaving the game. Not because the game is bad, but because of life issues (college, kids, job, etc.). This is common with subscription games...the game gets repetitive and less challenging and other things take precedence. Problem is that no new owners are replacing these people. HBD is not attractive to the next generation of fans because of a few things. The game looks really old. There is no mobile/social component. You really have to be a diehard to appreciate it, and unfortunately less people like baseball and tend to watch more football.

With the lack of customer support, no plans to refresh the look/feel, and no plans for marketing, this may be what we have to look forward to for a long time.
10/15/2012 1:35 PM
Someone who actually makes some sense.    Bells and whistles aren't really going to do much for the current customer base.    But, if you want to bring in new owners, you need something "pretty".   Think Oregon football.   The current main for HBD isn't enticing at all.
10/15/2012 1:41 PM
The next thing is to figure out why some worlds have a 25% turnover season after season.   I'm not sure they can be fixed but someone would do well to figure out why in hopes of preventing it in other worlds.    Killing, merging or rebooting worlds isn't the answer.   The 20 owners that come back year after year aren't going to magically take a world in another team if their world is ended.    They may just take their ball and go home.  That won't help a dwindling customer base.
10/15/2012 3:33 PM (edited)
Posted by keithjs on 10/15/2012 1:35:00 PM (view original):
What I've seen lately in my worlds is that long-term owners (10 seasons plus with same team), really good and knowledgable owners, are leaving the game. Not because the game is bad, but because of life issues (college, kids, job, etc.). This is common with subscription games...the game gets repetitive and less challenging and other things take precedence. Problem is that no new owners are replacing these people. HBD is not attractive to the next generation of fans because of a few things. The game looks really old. There is no mobile/social component. You really have to be a diehard to appreciate it, and unfortunately less people like baseball and tend to watch more football.

With the lack of customer support, no plans to refresh the look/feel, and no plans for marketing, this may be what we have to look forward to for a long time.
I agree...although I think it's not so much the life issues as the other factors. The game is in need of a refresh. Even a mobile UI/app would help. So, the experienced owners are either dropping altogether and/or dropping the number of teams they're playing. 
There's no marketing towards bringing new owners in.
As for baseball losing fans...MLB and MiLB has another pretty good year in ticket sales and the TV contracts don't appear to be shrinking. There are plenty of hardcore baseball fans out there...but how would they ever know HBD exists?
Looking at the number of leagues in the playoffs and the number filling I believe things are going to get uglier before they're better.
Unless you're in a very good world prepare for extended rollover times.
10/15/2012 3:16 PM
IF JOE BUCK PLUGGED THIS SITE I WOULD NEVAH JOIN
10/15/2012 3:34 PM

OBAMA'S ECONOMY IS KILLING WIFS!!!!

10/15/2012 4:15 PM
HBD = Stratomatic.

There are still a large amount of people that will sit with a board, cards, and dice. They won't get a whole lot of noobs in, but once you are in, you're in. There is probably a faction that say "it would be nice if the cards didn't look like 1982", but they still play.

That is HBD. Those that like to be here like to be here. Those that like to be here and leave come back, because they liked to be here.

I'd be bummed if it went away totally, but I'm not bummed that there's a static X amount that play, and I'm not bummed that it looks like 2003.
10/15/2012 5:22 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...23 Next ▸
What will WifS do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.