What will WifS do? Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 9/12/2013 3:37:00 PM (view original):

I think Gleeman writes a blog and gets people to join thru it.    And, of course, they let him do what he wants.

Or they get kicked out of the league. I was removed from a Gleeman league for refusing to go along with an "I accidentally waived this guy!" scheme.
9/12/2013 6:02 PM
Posted by nasboat on 9/12/2013 3:35:00 PM (view original):
It probably doesn't hurt that he's fairly well-known in baseball circles and probably has readers who would like to play in his world (and then watch as he gobbles up IFAs, trades off old for young and continues his perpetual WS contender every year). I can't imagine that many of them last long, though -- most people I know who've been in one of his worlds previously end up moving on due to that cycle.
I didn't realize he was a famous blogger. That's kind of cool then.
Anything that brings new people in I am cool with, provided the new owners don't get a bad impression because of the world and dominance.
9/13/2013 12:31 AM
I read a book about fantasy baseball a couple of years ago, and AG's name was mentioned.  Apparently, he's some sort of hot shot in the hard-core fantasy baseball community.  I guess.
9/13/2013 5:57 AM
Time for contraction.
9/13/2013 8:52 AM

Yep.  Cobb and Canseco need to go. 

9/13/2013 9:47 AM
Well since I am in both of those leagues I would disagree. Some of the private leagues need to go, and 2 is not enough.
9/13/2013 12:47 PM
Isn't this about the time we should be seeing a couple of "How do I start a new world?" threads?
9/13/2013 12:51 PM
Posted by tdfactory on 9/13/2013 12:47:00 PM (view original):
Well since I am in both of those leagues I would disagree. Some of the private leagues need to go, and 2 is not enough.
Of course you disagree, because those are your worlds.

Mike's point is everyone who screams "contraction" is never willing to have it done to their world...

No worlds need to go. Your world needs to step it up.

Rizzuto rolled on 9/1 with 8 openings. They filled and are starting today.

I've listed example after example of worlds filling just fine.
But everyone who doesn't fill fast enough for their liking says "somebody else's world need to be contracted, mine is fine".
9/13/2013 12:56 PM
Mantle is usually filled and approved on the day we roll.  This time around, we had a nearly unprecedented 7 openings.  It took some aggressive recruiting, but we were filled and approved in seven days.  And that was with turning away a couple of interested owners who didn't have enough experience for Mantle.

The biggest problem I see with the worlds that take forever to fill is inadequate or incompetent recruiting on the part of the world commissioner.  That's where most of the problems lie.
9/13/2013 1:09 PM
Mantle is a world that people want to get in to.  Cobb is not.  You can recruit all you like, but a **** world is not attractive to join.
9/13/2013 1:39 PM
My thoughts on the subject are that a world that has been waiting to fill for over two months should have a vote forced on them to decide their fate.  If a world votes to "fail", the remaining teams can be dispersed to other worlds that have voted to remain.  I can see how people can get attached to a team (not necessarily just winning, Mike), so a mechanism that allows for the clearing of open spots and for people to keep their franchises might help.  

Either way, this is just ******* in the wind, since nobody is listening.
9/13/2013 1:46 PM
Posted by shobob on 9/13/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Mantle is a world that people want to get in to.  Cobb is not.  You can recruit all you like, but a **** world is not attractive to join.
And what makes world A a world "that people want to get in to" and world B "not"?
9/13/2013 1:55 PM
So, being the curious type, I decided to read the Spawn chat.
Seems the commish laid waste to a bunch of owners in league chat, a bunch bailed, and then he bailed.

That kids, is evil stuff.

Now some of the chatter is about renaming the league (because of devil spawn, and of the Spahn/Spawn thing).

That was entertaining. I hope they don't name it Cap Anson, or John Rocker.
9/13/2013 2:13 PM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 9/13/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):

Mike's point is everyone who screams "contraction" is never willing to have it done to their world...

But everyone who doesn't fill fast enough for their liking says "somebody else's world need to be contracted, mine is fine".

HA!!  I guess my comment went over tdf's head but mchale nailed it.

If 10 owners want to sit in World Crap for months on end, I don't know who that harms.   But someone will say "Contract World Crap, it's crappy!!" but, if it's suggested maybe their world should go, contraction isn't the answer.

9/13/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/13/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 9/13/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):

HA!!  I guess my comment went over tdf's head but mchale nailed it.

If 10 owners want to sit in World Crap for months on end, I don't know who that harms.   But someone will say "Contract World Crap, it's crappy!!" but, if it's suggested maybe their world should go, contraction isn't the answer.

mchale nailed it, except for the Rizzuto example, it's a public world!   Although a public world with 8 spots filling in 12 days may now be an impressive feat with the current backlog. 
9/13/2013 2:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23 Next ▸
What will WifS do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.