Build a team for your park Topic

What kind of team does one build in a "pitchers park" I play in PGE Portland -4,-3,-4,-2,-2.  I've been trying to get speedy, good range and glove guys. I've given away a lot of Power and started to pick up contact hitters.

I've got a mix of ground ball/fly ball pitchers that I'm working on as well.

So before I do more I thought I'd ask if I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks

11/26/2012 10:19 AM
You'll get varying answers.  But my thoughts are A) Get pitchers that throw strikes - since it's harder to get a hit, don't make it easier for your opponent to get on base. And B) If you can get basestealers, that's a plus.  Since it's harder to score runs, make it easier by getting guys who can move around the basepaths.
11/26/2012 10:28 AM
my search didn't pop this one up...the winning in tacoma stuck me more as a comment not question...it was helpful thanks
11/26/2012 11:45 AM
While you should design a team that works well for your park, I wouldn't recommend going too far in one direction (i.e. only having fast contact hitters).  Just my opinion, but you still need a team that can win away.  A Tacoma franchise in my world (-4s all across) consistently got to100 wins the past few seasons, but only because he wins about 55-60 games home and 45-50 games away.  I think fielding the best team you can should be more important.  As long as you're better than the other team, then it doesn't matter where you play because park factors affect both clubs.
11/26/2012 1:17 PM
As with any extreme park: You still play 81 games elsewhere.

Also, I'm never clear why high contact would be a good thing in a park that suppresses hitting.

I had success in San Diego with power and batting eye hitters.  Walks and homers.  No need to string together 2-3 hits to score.
11/26/2012 1:21 PM
+1 to what slin and iain are saying.

Plus your park suppresses home runs less than doubles and triples, so a power hitter might do better than someone with speed and/or gap power.
11/26/2012 1:35 PM
good food for thought. my contact logic was get on base, move runners pray I score.
11/26/2012 1:41 PM
Contact puts the ball in play(less strikeouts).   When you have to fight for every run, less strikeouts is a good thing.
11/26/2012 1:59 PM
What are people's thoughts on home park with respect to the LF/RF HR factors? 

With so many RH hitters and pitchers it seems like a good strategy to go against the grain with a lefty-favoring park, but I get the impression it doesn't make a huge difference.  Maybe I haven't tried it with extreme enough pull hitters for it to really be noticeable.

11/26/2012 4:27 PM

It's not just a pitching park...look at the individual ratings. Detroit and Florida are both "pitchers" parks, but a GB pitcher in Detroit won't do as well as one in Florida. That doesn't mean a shlub flyball pitcher will do better than an ace GB guy in Detroit, but given the choice between two relatively equal pitchers I would take the FB guy. 

11/26/2012 10:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2012 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Contact puts the ball in play(less strikeouts).   When you have to fight for every run, less strikeouts is a good thing.
I guess I was thinking that high contact would be better served in a hitter's park, and particularly somewhere like KC that favours non-power hitters.

I'd favour power over contact in a place that suppresses hitting.  More bases with fewer hits.

I get that contact and eye are key for consistent results anywhere, and I'll take the higher contact guy all things being equal, but if you're trying to find flawed guys on the cheap, big eye/power hitters might be a counterintuitive (and thereby even cheaper) choice when you're thinking about grinding out runs.

My point is that I'd rather bet on a guy running into one than have to rely on 2-3 singles in an inning to score.
11/27/2012 9:12 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2012 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Considering the most successful pitcher park teams have high GB/FB ratios and low Ks in their pitching stats, I'd say this would be a bad idea.
11/27/2012 9:54 AM
Checked my Memphis team.    RC27 seems to be the "best" way to determine who's doing what.

Top 3 last three seasons:  C/P
64/83
83/98
56/81

91/75
75/74
47/97

64/81
91/75
47/95

Worst contact is 47 backed by 95+ power.   Worst power is 74 with 75 contact.  Draw your own conclusions.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Eric Maxwell and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Hal Rodgers seems to produce pretty similar numbers.
11/27/2012 10:14 AM
I also pay no mind to GB/FB or Velocity in Memphis.    We've been near the top in K and bounced around the GB stat.    We're also the best, near the best or well below league average in HRA simply because you don't hit homers in Memphis.

Seems like worrying over GB in pitcher's parks is pointless.
11/27/2012 10:26 AM
123 Next ▸
Build a team for your park Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.