Long term contract. Topic

I just took over a team with a high price player signed to a long term contract. He also has a no trade contract. I really need to dump his salary. Can I waive him now and pay him this year and be done with him or will I owe him for the length of his contract? Is there any other way to reduce his salary? Any help would be great. Thanks
12/16/2012 11:03 PM
The only way to get his salary off your books would be to have him claimed off of waivers, or to trade him.

Be aware that a player with a no-trade clause can still be traded.  He will accept trades to teams with a better record than yours.  
12/16/2012 11:18 PM
If the contract to talent ratio is really bad, you have what is called an Albatross and there is nothing you can do but wait.  No one will take him in that event.

But yes, you can trade him to any team with a better record than yours, or waive and hope someone picks him up.  Or release him and pay him every penny while he trots to another team and you pay him for it.

12/18/2012 4:50 PM
Depending on how badly you need the cap space, you could also offer to trade a good player or prospect to someone willing to take on the contract (I'll give you Adrian Gonzalez if you'll please, please, please take Beckett and Crawford with him). A contending team that is close to a rebuilding phase might find it worthwhile to eat the contract if it brings a good prospect or a piece needed to contend now. It only makes sense to do that if you have a specific need that the extra cap space would let you fill.
12/18/2012 5:52 PM
Don't do what josh suggests unless the high-priced player has absolutely no business being on a roster.  Giving up extra talent to be rid of a contract makes no sense. 
12/19/2012 8:23 AM
If it's Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Otto Strong, he's a good player and he's injured.   You don't need to get his contract off your books nor can you.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Vin Looper probably isn't worth 7m but you signed him.   Everyone else over 5m was either signed by you or is well worth their contract. 

Seems you're creating a problem that you don't have.
12/19/2012 10:03 AM
Otto's the one with the NTC... and he's actually not bad, but for the injury.  He's a perfectly acceptable LF on a playoff team.
12/19/2012 10:06 AM
Meaning: Good teams with better records than yours can trade for him, and might actually offer you value.... you know, since he's not a stiff.
12/19/2012 10:07 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2012 8:23:00 AM (view original):
Don't do what josh suggests unless the high-priced player has absolutely no business being on a roster.  Giving up extra talent to be rid of a contract makes no sense. 
Since he started the post by saying he wanted to just waive the player, I assumed he had no business being on a roster. If no one bites on waivers and you need the money desperately enough (to sign a #1 pick, for example) it's an option. Not a good option, but an alternative to "you're stuck with him."
12/19/2012 1:12 PM
Unfortunately, giving away talent to lower payroll makes no sense.  
12/19/2012 1:21 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 12/19/2012 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2012 8:23:00 AM (view original):
Since he started the post by saying he wanted to just waive the player, I assumed he had no business being on a roster. If no one bites on waivers and you need the money desperately enough (to sign a #1 pick, for example) it's an option. Not a good option, but an alternative to "you're stuck with him."
Not sure how one gets from "I want to waive a player to dump his contract" to "I assume the player has no business on a ML roster".

The OP probably just determined that the size of the player's contract was not justified by his past or expected future performance.  He might still be a good player, just not "X years at $Y salary" worth of good.
12/19/2012 1:28 PM
I'm new to the game, or at least was a couple of seasons ago. I took over a team with awful contracts. I found the best method is to look for other bad contracts but that end sooner, and trade for them. Look for mutual option years too so even if your guy has 3 seasons left and you are trading for another guy with 3 left but the last is a mutual option, it's an improvement. Keep trading down until you have just 1 or 2 seasons left of bloaded contracts and take that time to rebuild. I even traded for worse $ contracts just because they were shorter time, and the other owners seemed happy to just pay be paying less on the current season. I dunno, shoot for the future. It's amazing once you've shed your dead weight, I"m at something like 45 mil in payroll and dropped like 38 mil on prospects this year. Money is needed to rebuild. 
12/20/2012 2:47 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2012 10:03:00 AM (view original):
If it's Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Otto Strong, he's a good player and he's injured.   You don't need to get his contract off your books nor can you.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Vin Looper probably isn't worth 7m but you signed him.   Everyone else over 5m was either signed by you or is well worth their contract. 

Seems you're creating a problem that you don't have.
Poor Otto has been ready to come off the DL for a couple weeks now.  I cant imagine he wouldn't help
12/20/2012 8:50 AM
DL timelines don't work outside of a given world, so we can't see how long he really has left.
12/20/2012 9:54 AM
They're in ST and he does not appear to be on the DL.

Nonetheless, the OP is a new owner(1 complete season) and I think he's just reacting without thinking it out.   My guess, if he waives Strong, is that he'll be picked up.
12/20/2012 9:58 AM
12 Next ▸
Long term contract. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.