Signing Draft picks Topic

If your initial offer met their initial demands, and they reject it, you have secured your comp pick.  At that point, your offer is no longer on the table, so there is nothing to leave "out there until the end".
12/19/2012 7:14 PM
Posted by kcden on 12/18/2012 4:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by squarepeg on 12/17/2012 9:04:00 PM (view original):
I have a similar question. I drafted a guy who 'may sign if the deal is right' he's asking for just over 6mil. I offered him 5.8 mil and he is 'considering it' but college is still an option. If he doesn't accept it will I get a compensation pick or do you have to him his 'demands'
You have to meet his initial demands.

I don't think that this is quite correct.  I am pretty certain (I do not have the evidence, but based on everything about how draftee bonus offers work, I am confident that it is true) that if you get the draft prospect to consider your offer (as in his initial response isn't something along the lines of "No ******* Way") and he ultimately turns you down (either outright or by asking for more money a week later) you will get a compensation pick, even if you offered him less than he was asking.  If you offer him too much less than he was asking, he will turn you down outright and you will not receive the compensation. (although I also suspect that as long as you eventually get him to consider and turn down an offer, you will still get a comp. pick; I am less confident in that belief, though)
I know an owner who was trying to save a few bucks and offered a little under (as you often can for readily signable players) but was considered, then rejected (player wasn't going to sign), but he didn't get a comp pick because he didn't meet the demands by something minimal like $10k.
12/19/2012 10:43 PM
Slightly different than what is being discussed so far...but I am in a world where prospect budget is capped.  There are a handful of first round picks that have not even been offered because their team has already used of the prospect money.  Do these players go back to the draft pool for next year, disappear, or become free agents at some point?  If they become free agents does that occur this year or next?
1/15/2013 6:43 PM
They disappear.
1/15/2013 6:47 PM
Posted by golefty71 on 1/15/2013 6:43:00 PM (view original):
Slightly different than what is being discussed so far...but I am in a world where prospect budget is capped.  There are a handful of first round picks that have not even been offered because their team has already used of the prospect money.  Do these players go back to the draft pool for next year, disappear, or become free agents at some point?  If they become free agents does that occur this year or next?
22 Y/O Prospects that "WIll Sign for Slot Money" will be free agents the following season.  All of the other unsigned prospects will disappear.
1/15/2013 7:21 PM
I thought disappear too...but I have signed at least one of these types of players:

Draft Details
Season: 3 Franchise: Charlotte
Round: 2 Owner: mewis22
Pick: 87 Agent: Bo Herzner
School: Colorado State University - Pueblo (SR) Contract Type: -
Scout: Cesar Garces 1st Season Salary: -

Transaction Type: All
Season Date Franchise Transaction
8 11/24/2012 1:47 AM Daredevils Contract Renewal
7 8/20/2012 5:57 PM Daredevils Contract Renewal
6 5/15/2012 5:54 PM Daredevils Contract Renewal
5 2/13/2012 6:00 AM Daredevils Accept Option
4 11/19/2011 11:52 PM Daredevils Free-Agent Signing
3 9/18/2011 4:15 AM Cavalry Drafted

Was drafted and never signed then I signed him the next year.  So, I suppose my questions is refined to - when are these players typically available to sign as a free agent?  In this case it was the next season.  I just wonder if they perhaps come available soon.  I don't want to miss it!  Ha.
1/15/2013 7:23 PM
Posted by golefty71 on 1/15/2013 7:23:00 PM (view original):
I thought disappear too...but I have signed at least one of these types of players:

Draft Details
Season: 3 Franchise: Charlotte
Round: 2 Owner: mewis22
Pick: 87 Agent: Bo Herzner
School: Colorado State University - Pueblo (SR) Contract Type: -
Scout: Cesar Garces 1st Season Salary: -

Transaction Type: All
Season Date Franchise Transaction
8 11/24/2012 1:47 AM Daredevils Contract Renewal
7 8/20/2012 5:57 PM Daredevils Contract Renewal
6 5/15/2012 5:54 PM Daredevils Contract Renewal
5 2/13/2012 6:00 AM Daredevils Accept Option
4 11/19/2011 11:52 PM Daredevils Free-Agent Signing
3 9/18/2011 4:15 AM Cavalry Drafted

Was drafted and never signed then I signed him the next year.  So, I suppose my questions is refined to - when are these players typically available to sign as a free agent?  In this case it was the next season.  I just wonder if they perhaps come available soon.  I don't want to miss it!  Ha.
Never seen this.  
1/16/2013 8:41 AM
◂ Prev 12
Signing Draft picks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.