Trading for a player after 3rd arbitration signing Topic

Forgive me; I"m sure this has been asked before.

If I trade for a player who, at the beginning of the season, signed his 3rd one year arbitration contract, is angry and says "I'm filing for free agency no matter what because you don't appreciate me"-- does the trade negate that where I can sign him to a long term contract, or will the player stay mad and file for free agency even after the trade?

Obviously, I don't want to trade the house for a half-season rental of a Cy Young-level SP.

Thanks in advance.
12/18/2012 6:50 PM
Posted by jmuhtoff on 12/18/2012 8:50:00 PM (view original):
He's bolting. The trade doesn't change that.

This is not accurate.
The trade can change that. I have traded away at least one player where this was the case, and I believe I have traded for a player in this situation as well.

12/18/2012 9:01 PM
Kcden is correct. I have also traded for players who change their mind. I've also traded for players who haven't. I think it's more likely that they won't, but it is possible that they will change their mind and sign LT.
12/19/2012 2:11 AM
Thanks guys. If it is a toss up, I don't think I should gamble on him changing his mind.
12/19/2012 8:22 AM
This is a great question and I don't remember seeing it posted before. 
12/19/2012 4:57 PM
Pb, I can certainly see where an owner with a team in the middle of a pennant race would trade good value for a star player, not caring that he's a rental, to put them over the top. In my case in this particular world, I'm rebuilding, the SP is only 27, so I don't want to trade anything of value just to rent him for a half-season. And if, like a player rejecting a trade, team records figure into whether he gets glad or remains angry after the trade---I went 59-103 last season, so he'd probably bolt from me for FA in a heartbeat.
12/20/2012 6:08 AM
What is his patience ratings?  That plays a large role in whether he changes his mind.
12/20/2012 10:38 AM
Posted by rangerup on 12/20/2012 10:38:00 AM (view original):
What is his patience ratings?  That plays a large role in whether he changes his mind.
Good point. It's relatively low. Even we're it not, with what it would cost to get him, I can't take the chance of him bolting.
12/21/2012 6:53 AM
Look at it this way. You'll still have a chance to sigh him as an FA next season.
12/21/2012 8:14 AM
Trading for a player after 3rd arbitration signing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.