Player development/rookie league Topic

Are you supposed to promote everyone after year 1 in rookie league? Or should you be keeping players down there? Is it bad to entirely rely on the draft to fill it out? 

Also, I've heard that players stop progressing once they get to their 5th season and/or around 25. If player is drafted out of high school will he stop progressing after 23? Or is it more of a 5th season cutoff? 

thanks
1/28/2013 3:55 PM
If you don't promote players to an age/experience appropriate level, you run the risk of them retiring.
1/28/2013 4:22 PM
Players progress for at most 4 seasons. Then they stop. DITR are the exceptions. The players age has nothing to do with it.

I leave players in rookie league who have no business playing in LowA until the retire. I promote the others. I use the draft and Tryout Camp players to fill my RL team.

I used to only worry about promoting players I thought would end up in AAA or ML. Bad idea. I got hit with massive retirements a few times. It's a pain to have to sign 20+ FAs to fill just on MinL team. Much easier to promote many MinL players after the season than have to waste time signing career MinL FAs the next season.

1/28/2013 4:25 PM
what are DITRs?
1/28/2013 4:49 PM
Diamonds in the Rough. I'm a new owner too, but apparently at some point we'll get a note telling us who our DITRs are.
1/28/2013 5:30 PM
DITR's come at the end of the All-Star break.
1/28/2013 5:46 PM
Posted by tufft on 1/28/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Players progress for at most 4 seasons. Then they stop. DITR are the exceptions. The players age has nothing to do with it.

I leave players in rookie league who have no business playing in LowA until the retire. I promote the others. I use the draft and Tryout Camp players to fill my RL team.

I used to only worry about promoting players I thought would end up in AAA or ML. Bad idea. I got hit with massive retirements a few times. It's a pain to have to sign 20+ FAs to fill just on MinL team. Much easier to promote many MinL players after the season than have to waste time signing career MinL FAs the next season.

Players progress until they approach their true projected ratings.  Progression slows down the closer they get.

"Players progress for at most 4 seasons. Then they stop." is factually incorrect and misleading.  It is not based on number of seasons.
1/28/2013 5:49 PM
bg - Why don't you look at 100 players who have been around 5-10 seasons. Easy to see how development works 95% of the time. Then decide for yourself if you ever want to trade for a 5th year player you hope will continue to develop. And decide how right or wrong my comment was.
1/28/2013 9:20 PM
The appropriate way to evaluate a 5th year player is to see his ratings progression from S1 -> S2, S2 -> S3, S3 -> S4, and so on.

You'll see a pattern.  Somewhat rapid development from season to season in the early years, slowing down in the later years.  It's fairly easy to "predict" when the progression for a particular rating will stop after reviewing S1 -> S2 -> S3 -> S4 -> S5.

This is why many veteran owners have gone towards lower (or zero) advanced scouting.
1/28/2013 9:35 PM
How do they know who will be good though with no advanced scouting? 
1/28/2013 11:51 PM
They dont care who will be good, they only want to know who is good now.

They also spend a lot of time cuttig and pasting ratings from the draft views  into their player notes.
1/29/2013 12:37 AM
Posted by fasteddy88 on 1/29/2013 12:37:00 AM (view original):
They dont care who will be good, they only want to know who is good now.

They also spend a lot of time cuttig and pasting ratings from the draft views  into their player notes.
This is not true. I use 0 ADV. I do care who will be good and I spend very little time (5 min per season per team) making player notes.

If you pay attention, you don't really need ADV scouting to see who is gonna be good. As has been said above, with 2 seasons of development you have a pretty reasonable idea of what a player will develop into, ADV scouting not required.

1/29/2013 2:31 PM
Correct.  I don't spend a lot of time cutting/pasting draft projections.  In fact, I don't spend any time doing that.

1/29/2013 2:36 PM
I go to 0 ADV as soon as I can in all worlds, and spend little to no time keeping track of progressions.  I have played this game long enough to glance at a guy and know who he will be.  You can even kind of determine this for first year players, by checking draft slots, which team drafted him, what their budget was, how much he signed for, etc. 

As for rookie ball, I punt coach hiring there, and populate it with crap.  All of my future higher minor league guys immediately go to LowA.

1/31/2013 11:41 AM
Player development/rookie league Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.