My two catchers came up together. One defensive, one for offense. They caught the same staff during their careers essentially.

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3529019

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3124716

About .6 difference in ERA
2/13/2013 7:30 PM
My main catcher, who is in the lineup for his bat, has a PC of 43.  His C ERA this past season, 4.16.

His backup caught 1/5 the innings, and is in the lineup because he's cheap, has a PC of 57.  His C ERA was 5.12.

No other big league catcher is in my system, so I'm going to keep rolling with the 43 guy unless he collapses and takes the staff with him.

2/13/2013 7:43 PM
Nothing really matters that much, except getting hot when the playoffs start and staying hot until your last opponent gets eliminated.
2/13/2013 8:46 PM
Referring back to the C I mentioned earlier. For 5 seasons, I had the same two catchers. The starter was offensive with a PC of 38. The backup was defensive, with a PC of 88. Obviously the backup played a lot less (he averaged about 350 innings per season and 150 ABs for the five seasons they played together) but over five seasons together I think gives you enough data to draw something from. They also obviously had the same pitching staff to work with.

Starter had an C ERA of 3.74 during that time.

Backup had a C ERA of 3.47

So PC clearly makes a difference. In this case, the 50 points difference in their PC ratings equals an improvement of 0.27 in ERA.

In this case, that was a more than fair trade for my team. We weren't great offensively and the starter has a career OPS of .847 where as the backup has a career OPS of .597. Clearly he was only a backup defensive C, but I was ok with the starter's below par defensive skills given his offensive production.
2/13/2013 8:55 PM
Tarrasco doesn't hit nearly well enough to justify trotting him out there with a PC of 47 IMO. 
2/14/2013 2:42 PM
Posted by rangerup on 2/14/2013 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Tarrasco doesn't hit nearly well enough to justify trotting him out there with a PC of 47 IMO. 
Well I suppose it depends on the alternative. Last year he was about 20 runs better than average with the bat. Even if he was 20 runs worse than average defensively (which I doubt), that makes him a league-average player. I'll take league-average production for league-minimum salary.
2/14/2013 3:51 PM
It always depends on the other options.    I don't get "47 PC, I don't know but 50 PC is good enough."
2/14/2013 3:54 PM
It's all personal perceptions.  I won't play a 50, or even 55 PC guy at C, regardless of his hitting ratings.  I may (and have) played a PC of 60ish if the guy was a true offensive force and a switch hitter, but didn't like it.  I can almost always find a 90PC guy for cheap and would rather play him and punt the offense for the position if the extreme is the only thing available. 

I did not say I do not like the 45PC masher catcher.  I do like him, he won't play for me, but he will entice another to give me things I do need.

2/15/2013 3:13 PM
Ranger,  ClaytonRollins is a lifetime .310/.386 guy with 20-25 taters a year.  Lifetime 3.86 ERA, despite the low 50's PC.

You wouldn't play him?
2/15/2013 10:26 PM

I wouldn't play him at C either. It isn't just his PC (which I value highly), but that he's simply a DH walking around with a chestguard. PC is actually the only D rating where he is at the Rec Avg level for a C.

I understand why someone would choose to play him. I just wouldn't.

2/16/2013 12:52 AM
Posted by mongoose_22 on 2/13/2013 8:55:00 PM (view original):
Referring back to the C I mentioned earlier. For 5 seasons, I had the same two catchers. The starter was offensive with a PC of 38. The backup was defensive, with a PC of 88. Obviously the backup played a lot less (he averaged about 350 innings per season and 150 ABs for the five seasons they played together) but over five seasons together I think gives you enough data to draw something from. They also obviously had the same pitching staff to work with.

Starter had an C ERA of 3.74 during that time.

Backup had a C ERA of 3.47

So PC clearly makes a difference. In this case, the 50 points difference in their PC ratings equals an improvement of 0.27 in ERA.

In this case, that was a more than fair trade for my team. We weren't great offensively and the starter has a career OPS of .847 where as the backup has a career OPS of .597. Clearly he was only a backup defensive C, but I was ok with the starter's below par defensive skills given his offensive production.
I like the 5 season sample size, but realize that if you used the backup as a defensive replacement he may have caught a somewhat higher quality of pitcher, since he probably caught your closer almost every time he pitched.  Still useful information.
2/16/2013 7:30 AM
Posted by moethedog on 2/15/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):
Ranger,  ClaytonRollins is a lifetime .310/.386 guy with 20-25 taters a year.  Lifetime 3.86 ERA, despite the low 50's PC.

You wouldn't play him?
Most likely not, I would try to trade him for another piece I need
2/16/2013 10:54 AM
No problem ranger.  I've always had a better defensive catcher to back him up.....but over his whole career there has been almost no difference in CERA's between he and the backup.  Recently my other catcher has a PC of 83.  Last year Rollins had a .15 better ERA.  This year the other guy had a .27 better ERA.

But I like PC, too.  I like a big bat just as well.
2/16/2013 11:06 AM
I may hang with a lower PC if my ballpark factor is significant enough
2/16/2013 11:48 AM
I have a AAA catcher who has high offensive ratings.  His defense is poor.  arm = 69, 62.  Glove = 24.  Pc = 37 He has zero range and speed.   How important is range?  I play in the NL, of course.  hitting is 72, 73, 67, 89, 94 left-handed bat

2/20/2013 2:27 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.