Posted by mik182bre on 2/20/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):
I have a AAA catcher who has high offensive ratings.  His defense is poor.  arm = 69, 62.  Glove = 24.  Pc = 37 He has zero range and speed.   How important is range?  I play in the NL, of course.  hitting is 72, 73, 67, 89, 94 left-handed bat

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kenneth Simpson has logged 1000 innings in RF for my NL team.   5 errors, 11 negative plays.  His bat has carried his defensive shortcomings.
2/20/2013 2:39 PM
But in the playoffs, providing you get there, do you want a big error by this guy in RF ending your season?  Sure a big error can happen to the GG RF too, it all depends on if you are ok with taking the risk. 

Personally I would trade that guy to an AL team for a real catcher or RF. In the AL he has big time worth and teams will make some good offers.

2/21/2013 12:36 PM
Risk/reward.  If he hits well enough, I'll take my chances.
Same team, WS winner, RF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kevin Ryu  2 negative plays in 157 innings.   .888 OPS.  Good enough.

Also, I don't know what worlds you play in but DHs have virtually no trade value in mine.
2/21/2013 1:30 PM
Boogerlips did a post on this a while back (sorry cant find the post) but it said that PC is very important.  He gave run differential but I dont remember what it was.
2/21/2013 1:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/21/2013 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Risk/reward.  If he hits well enough, I'll take my chances.
Same team, WS winner, RF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kevin Ryu  2 negative plays in 157 innings.   .888 OPS.  Good enough.

Also, I don't know what worlds you play in but DHs have virtually no trade value in mine.
We don't play in the same worlds, granted, but I would guess they are pretty similar in quality of owners.  While a DH obviously has less trade value than a similar rated player who can contribute on defense (with the scale sliding upwards the more defensive positions he can play), any guy that is enough of an offensive force to have guys like you even consider putting him behind the plate with a very low PC, or in RF with less than no defense...is a guy that will garner you a high enough trade return to make a deal.
2/21/2013 4:35 PM
Nope.   I traded for Simpson.   Other owner couldn't get a decent offer for him. 
2/21/2013 4:42 PM
That probably had more to do with the owner trying to make a trade than the player.  There is quite a bit of research involved, and approach that helps to make a trade.  Some owners either just don't put the effort in or suffer in their approach.
2/22/2013 11:05 AM
I'm assuming that you don't believe me when I say pure DH-types have little to no value in the worlds I play in.   I'll explain.

16 teams need a DH.  10-12 of them are trying to make the playoffs in any particular year.    The others accept that it won't be their year so their interest in adding a pure DH is nil.    Of those 10-12, at least half have a good DH.   Now we're down to 5-6.  They have poor fielders that hit well enough.  So a NL team is offering a slight upgrade while not taking the poor fielding/good hitting DH the other team has.   How much is a slight upgrade worth?

Not much in my worlds.   Perhaps, in your worlds, owners wake up one morning and say "Holy ****!!!  I'm in the AL and I don't have a DH!!!"   It just doesn't happen in mine.
2/22/2013 12:03 PM
Well I have found they happen in mine.  What's your point?
2/25/2013 4:29 PM
I thought I explained my point earlier.  I'll recap:

Me:  I use these types in RF.  Works for me.
You:  I wouldn't do that.   I'd trade them to an AL team for a king's ransom!
M:  I've found that DH have little trade value in my worlds. 
Y:  I disagree.  I always gets superstars for DHs in my worlds. 
M:  I actually traded for one of the guys because he couldn't get value from an AL team.
Y:  Well, the owner doing the trading a was probably lazy.  He could have gotten a stud.  I always do!
M:  Here's my theory on why: (followed with long post).
Y:  HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN MINE!!!!!   WHAT'S YOUR POINT?

And here we are.

2/25/2013 4:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/25/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):

M:  I actually traded for one of the guys because he couldn't get value from an AL team.
Y:  Well, the owner doing the trading a was probably lazy.  He could have gotten a stud.  I always do!

And here we are.

+1
2/25/2013 5:31 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/25/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):

And here we are.

Lol.
2/26/2013 9:55 AM
I tried mikes experiment with a good armed catcher in right to get his bat and my catcher platoon into games more often His particulars are

Gary Jackson:  G 162  AB 618 R 88 H 174 Dbl 28 Trp 1 Hr 19 RBI 84 BB/K 55/57
He hit .282 / .345 / .769 and had an 18 game hitting streak at one point.  Pretty good numbers. No all star, but his not a schlub.

Defensively he played right in 136 games had 149 put outs 4 assists and 3 errors, he did have 25 minus plays, a .981 fldg % and 1.22 range

That equates to 1 minus play every three games or so.  But overall my team had 65 plus plays to 47 minus plays.  So it balanced out. 

His pitch calling is only a 42, he's really a DH and the games he wasn't in RF he was the DH.  But his presence in the OF didn't hurt me at all, we made the WS with him though we lost.  At 29 years old he'll stay in RF for a couple more seasons, till his hitting starts to fade or his arm strength falls below 70.
2/26/2013 11:55 AM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.