Wanted: a Pitching Mentor Topic

Let me ask another question, how much does a players success in AAA translate to a future in the majors...
Got some pitchers;  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Michel Lind and  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alex Manzanillo   that are doing well. 
But the general opinion here would be they wouldn't be big players in the future.  I've never entertained Manzanillo but I think Lind has a future in some role.

opinions?

2/20/2013 11:32 AM
I have only played one season myself, but after reviewing some players I have the idea that you can get away with low splits as long as ALL the other stats are very good. That may produce an average to good MLB player.  But also, too low of splits no matter how good the other stats are will not produce a MLB pitcher.  Where that threshold is I am not sure.
2/20/2013 11:49 AM
Lind could be a mopup. Manzanillo shouldn't be on an ML roster.
2/20/2013 12:10 PM
Posted by tropicana on 2/20/2013 12:10:00 PM (view original):
Lind could be a mopup. Manzanillo shouldn't be on an ML roster.
What tropicana said.
2/20/2013 12:23 PM
Minor league stats are irrelevant and you shouldn't put much if any weight into them.
2/20/2013 1:27 PM
I could probably find a use for both of them.
2/20/2013 1:37 PM
At the end of the day, you need some cheap labor.   If Lind/Manzanillo are the best you have for injury replacements, roster expansion or even LRB, there's no need to spend 2.6m for a slightly better player. 
2/20/2013 1:39 PM

I was leaning towards the thought that minor league play was irrelevant save for increasing some ablilities (if they can). So numbers put up by a player doesn't mean squat...got it..
So I will ingnore them and focus on the "real" possilbilites and keep giving them innings and pray they grow. One such player I'm counting on as a spot 6 man in the rotation is Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bob Scelfo. His durablity sucks I get that...but he should be good for 18-20 starts and 110 innings at least.
And I'm on the fence with Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Pedro Neruda..control sucks but he does have three pitches over 60 (MikeT23) and a good GB ratio.

thoughts on these guys

2/20/2013 2:02 PM

Scelfo can pitch in the bigs.   Back end of the rotation. 

The lowest control I've had any success with is 39.   But his RH split was over 70 and he had a pitch over 90 and a pitch over 80 with great VEL/GB.   Neruda should be released at season's end.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Angel Owen

2/20/2013 2:16 PM
IMO you can always spare a couple Mil to grab a much better option at the tail end of free agency.  It takes a village, and you don't want one of your guys to be the idiot in that village if you can help it.  I would put them both at AAA until they retire.
2/20/2013 2:16 PM
Mike T...are you saying drop Neruda because he will be arb eligable? If so how much will he be asking for and is there any amount of cash to keep him so your AAA can be respectable?
2/20/2013 2:32 PM
I'm saying release Neruda because he's making BL money and he shouldn't be.   If he's kept on the 40, he'll make 343k next season.    He's worth 55k. 
2/20/2013 2:38 PM
ahhh I see, the guys on the 40 man automatically make major league mininum $?
2/20/2013 2:55 PM
No but they do get a raise.   He'll get a raise.
2/20/2013 2:58 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dave Maxwell never made it to the majors.   But he was kept on the 40.   Always got a raise.
2/20/2013 2:59 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Wanted: a Pitching Mentor Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.