Question: is stunting the progress of prospects real? What factors determine whether a prospect will stop developing if promoted to the majors too quickly?

I will try to add a link to the player with the greatest name in HBD history, however I can't seem to do it fom my iPad.

4/1/2013 7:59 AM (edited)
You'll get better answers from Tec or Mike but I've think there are promotion bonuses that players can receive moving from level to level that you would miss out on.  But if you look at your training budget and the better coaches at the major league level, as long as the player can maximize inning pitched or at bats then I don't think it would hurt. 
4/1/2013 8:48 AM
Referring to the question of coaching, I have a very stark example of what inferior coaching can do to a prospect.  Javier Bournigal is not a stud, but he is a plus-glove SS worthy of an ML roster spot.  I acquired him in a trade many seasons ago from an owner whose fielding coach was atrocious:

whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx

as you can see, Bournigal made almost no advance in fielding skills between season 14 and 16.  Only after I acquired him, near the end of season 16, did he start to improve.  And improve he did!  He has since gained 20 points in Glove and 18 points in Arm Accuracy.  What I cannot answer is whether once he got the right coaching, he reached his ceiling, or whether some potential gains were left on the table because of his lackluster coaching those first few seasons.

4/1/2013 2:10 PM
I give you the prospect in question and arguably the greatest name in HBD history:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Yorrick Hunt

4/1/2013 2:48 PM
Why don't you push that guy up to the ML now?  He'd pretty easily be your #1 or #2 starter now.  You could just put him in the rotation and not worry about stunting his growth at all.
4/1/2013 3:17 PM
greatest name in HBD history. very funny
4/1/2013 4:59 PM
Tiny Dickens thinks his name is funnier.
4/1/2013 5:01 PM
Posted by maxdeardorff on 4/1/2013 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Why don't you push that guy up to the ML now?  He'd pretty easily be your #1 or #2 starter now.  You could just put him in the rotation and not worry about stunting his growth at all.
If that is true, he's coming up. I'd hate to sacrifice a potential all-time great just to make the playoffs this season. I figured my team was a couple of years away fom contending for the division, but Hunt could change that.

4/2/2013 9:59 AM (edited)
I promoted him to the BL.  He is a huge upgrade over my #5 starter.  He got an immediate ratings bump too.
4/2/2013 9:59 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/1/2013 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Tiny Dickens thinks his name is funnier.
funny, but a little obvious. not goat status
4/2/2013 7:05 PM
Yorrick Hunt, that's awesome.
4/3/2013 7:53 PM
Yeah, I think I'll vote that one best ever I've seen so far.
4/3/2013 7:59 PM
I went to school with a guy named Michael Hunt.  He didn't go by "Mike"
4/4/2013 5:20 PM
Do-overs?
4/4/2013 6:43 PM
I worked with a guy   Ignaces Paul Daily......  went by    I.P. Daily    loved paging him for phone calls all the time.
4/4/2013 6:55 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.