Splits vs. Pitches Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 6/18/2013 8:04:00 PM (view original):
This reliever isn't exactly great. And his splits are decent.

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3966126
a .241 oav 1.33 whip is pretty decent for a pitcher in Cincy which is a hitters park with 2/2 for HRs.  I think the combination of low 60s for both his Ctrl and VsL are the killers for him, and 75 aint that great for VsR either.
6/18/2013 8:45 PM
Yes, that's the point.  His Velo/GB/P1 ratings do not make up for mediorce splits.
6/19/2013 9:48 AM
I did have a true knuckleballer, and he won multiple Cy Young Awards, thank you. 

The Big three can certainly make up for 45-65 splits, I have done it.  Of course you need to consider all things, catcher, ballpark, defense, offense.  Those that make knee jerk assumptions based on ratings are bound to continue to hover around the .500 mark and never win a WS like teccywrg.  Who knows, he might not be astute enough to put a great team together, or he may just be having fun and not care much about winning it all.  No biggie.

Having been in over a dozen World Series in 40 completed seasons tends to speak for itself if you are paying attention.

6/19/2013 1:46 PM
I suppose if I hopped from world to world, looking for the low hanging fruit that would give me a handful of cheap trophies, I'd have a resume similar to rangers, and I would come here and give bad advice to others who are trying to figure out how the ratings work.

Unfortunately for me, I do neither.
6/19/2013 1:54 PM
Posted by rangerup on 6/19/2013 1:46:00 PM (view original):
I did have a true knuckleballer, and he won multiple Cy Young Awards, thank you. 

The Big three can certainly make up for 45-65 splits, I have done it.  Of course you need to consider all things, catcher, ballpark, defense, offense.  Those that make knee jerk assumptions based on ratings are bound to continue to hover around the .500 mark and never win a WS like teccywrg.  Who knows, he might not be astute enough to put a great team together, or he may just be having fun and not care much about winning it all.  No biggie.

Having been in over a dozen World Series in 40 completed seasons tends to speak for itself if you are paying attention.

Which player? Show your work.
6/19/2013 1:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/19/2013 1:54:00 PM (view original):
I suppose if I hopped from world to world, looking for the low hanging fruit that would give me a handful of cheap trophies, I'd have a resume similar to rangers, and I would come here and give bad advice to others who are trying to figure out how the ratings work.

Yea, I was going to say that too, but you did it for me.

He averages about 340 games per world he's been in (19 of them).  That's about 2 seasons per world.  He really hasn't had much experience with player acquisition when almost every team he takes is a WS contender to begin with.
6/19/2013 1:59 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 1:56:00 PM (view original):

Here, I'll show another.  This guy isn't exactly lighting it up, despite high numbers in the "Big Three."  And he's been in pitchers parks his whole career.

whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx
6/19/2013 2:02 PM
Offense doesn't make any difference for pitching.   It's two independent aspects of the game.   A pitcher with a 5.58 ERA and a 10-3 record is still a bad pitcher.

GB and velocity are secondary ratings.   These two have identical K9 in Coop:
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Slash Gabriel  VEL 88
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jimmy Powell VEL 72

Pretty big discrepancy for identical results in the all important velocity rating.
GB is a little different as a low GB in a homer park is trouble waiting to happen. Throw it in a -4 park and you'll hardly notice.  But even that can be deceptive.   Two pitchers may have virtual identical WHIP/OAV and greatly different ERA.    Usually that's because of the GB.   The low GB just gives up more homers. 

At the end of the day, the ratings work in conjunction with one another.    I've used Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Esteban Mercado as the example for low to average splits/good pitches producing good results.   Even with fantastic GB, velocity and P1/P2 his ERA has been uneven with his WHIP barely moving from season to season.
6/19/2013 2:05 PM
I'd argue that P2 has much more to do with the success Mercado has than velocity or GB/FB does.  
6/19/2013 2:08 PM
I doubt I'd argue too hard against it.   I have P2 more important than GB/VEL combined. 
6/19/2013 2:13 PM

I have taken two dreadful teams and spent multiple seasons with them, and built them both into division winners for the next decade with WS appearances.  I just find it awfully tedious and boring.  You would figure with so many seasons invested in some of your worlds teccywrgger you would have at last figured out how to plan for a good team, but looking at your card that has not happened.  Never fear, one of these days you are bound to squeak in as a wild card and with any luck, win a ring.  But judging from your record I highly doubt you will ever run a world dominant team.  Not that that is anything wrong with that.
6/21/2013 5:57 PM
HE JUST SNUCK IN AS A WILD CARD IN A WORLD!!!!!!!!

YOU'RE RANGERDAMUS!!!   OR IS IT RANGERDUMBASS??!?!?!
6/21/2013 7:22 PM
Posted by rangerup on 6/18/2013 6:16:00 PM (view original):
Bad advice is taking advice from 78 seasons in and no WS titles.
Your resume is quite impressive. Cherry picking your way to a WS title is awe inspiring.

You are a prime example of why WS titles alone shouldn't be the sole yard stick used to measure a players success or for WS titles alone to make one a credible source of HBD knowledge.

6/21/2013 7:52 PM (edited)
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 6/19/2013 1:56:00 PM (view original):

Here, I'll show another.  This guy isn't exactly lighting it up, despite high numbers in the "Big Three."  And he's been in pitchers parks his whole career.

whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx
Its pretty hard to light it up when  Horacio Martin is doing the catching.
6/21/2013 8:24 PM
Posted by rangerup on 6/21/2013 5:57:00 PM (view original):

I have taken two dreadful teams and spent multiple seasons with them, and built them both into division winners for the next decade with WS appearances.  I just find it awfully tedious and boring.  You would figure with so many seasons invested in some of your worlds teccywrgger you would have at last figured out how to plan for a good team, but looking at your card that has not happened.  Never fear, one of these days you are bound to squeak in as a wild card and with any luck, win a ring.  But judging from your record I highly doubt you will ever run a world dominant team.  Not that that is anything wrong with that.
Let's review your four trophies.

1)  Glavine300 - you took over a team that won the WS the season before you joined, and won a WS in your second season there.

2)  Let's Play Two - you took over a team that won 99 games the season before, and won a WS in your only season there.

3)  No Trade Clause - you took over a team that won 80 games the season before and won a WS in your second season there

4)  Parks - you took over a team that won 94 games the season before and won a WS in your first season there

Yep, that sure seems like you put in a lot of hard work to build winners.

Dumbass.
6/21/2013 9:14 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Splits vs. Pitches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.