Amateur Draft Signability Topic

Posted by shobob on 9/2/2013 12:30:00 AM (view original):
Hmm.  I would think that if the draftee rejects an offer, as long as it meets or exceeds his initial demands, compensation should be awarded.  I've never offered a draftee more than he asked for (why do noobs frequently seem to try this?), so I am not speaking from experience.
I offered him more money because logically, theoretically if I was on the fence about deciding going back to college and if the team that drafted me offered me more money that would influence my decision as  to whether to sign or not... 

9/3/2013 10:30 AM (edited)
I think you've already mucked it up with multiple offers.  Wait until he responds.   If you get a blue(I think) x, you're OK. 
9/3/2013 10:22 AM
He will get the blue x, but no comp. I have done this before. Thought I was offering a new contract to a player, and offered it to the wrong guy, before he turned it down. Blue x, no comp
9/3/2013 10:33 AM
Wait so I don't get a comp pick because I offered more money to a player? How does that make sense whatsoever? Isn't the theory of NOT getting a comp pick is because you weren't "trying" to sign your draft pick? If I offered more than than my player demanded why do I get screwed then? 

So the only way you get a comp pick is you offer initial demands, and then never try to sign the player again? If anything that means you tried less to sing the player, so why should you get rewarded in that case vs. someone who actually tries to sign the player by offering more money? This is completely backwards. 
9/3/2013 10:46 AM
Once a prospect rejects your INITIAL offer (either outright rejecting or asking for more money) you can do whatever you want with offers to him and will still get compensation if he doesn't sign.  
If you **** with your initial offer before he decides what he is going to do, you don't get compensation.
9/3/2013 11:22 AM
This is one of those cases where a relatively new owner asks a question and gets an answer.   Then he asks another, gets impatient and does something without knowing the consequences.   When he's told "Yeah, you probably shouldn't have done that", relatively new owner complains that the system is screwed up. 

Whether it is or not is kind of irrelevant.   Relatively new owners need to be a bit more patient when they're unsure of what they're doing.   THAT is within their control whereas the system is not.
9/3/2013 11:28 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/3/2013 11:28:00 AM (view original):
This is one of those cases where a relatively new owner asks a question and gets an answer.   Then he asks another, gets impatient and does something without knowing the consequences.   When he's told "Yeah, you probably shouldn't have done that", relatively new owner complains that the system is screwed up. 

Whether it is or not is kind of irrelevant.   Relatively new owners need to be a bit more patient when they're unsure of what they're doing.   THAT is within their control whereas the system is not.
I asked the question after the I had already offered him the 2nd contract, I wasn't just blatantly ignoring an answer because I didn't like the answer and then complaining that the game was unfair. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, on the contrary, I sincerely appreciate all the help, but it seems you're suggesting that a new owner asks a forum question for every little detail then you're looking at quite an imperfect system.

Are you suggesting the natural response to a new owner having a contract offer rejected by a draft pick is to instead ask the forum what to do instead of offering the draft pick more money? I struggle to see where I did anything rash, given that in every other instance of contract negotiations (IFA, coaches, FAs), offering more money is what you're supposed to do without suffering major consequences. I thought I was making the logical move to offer him a contract for more money and didn't think that was worthy of asking the forum given how contract negotiations play out in every other aspect of the game. I had read about type D compensation previously, and knew that I had to offer my player the amount he demanded without withdrawing my offer at any point. I never withdrew my offer in the sense that I was trying to free up money for other things, I only offered the draft pick more money because I thought this was increase the likelihood he would sign with me. 

However, apparently this is not a logical step and instead could significantly hinder my team. 

Mike- do you really think that I'm just complaining the game is unfair because I did something after being told specifically not to? 

9/3/2013 11:44 AM (edited)
Your initial question was on the 8/26.  Your draft was on 9/1.    You asked a question on 9/1 at 5:17.   You got a response 2 minutes later.   Due to the fact that you felt the need to ask a question about signability, it seems that you'd have waited to go it on your own if you weren't sure.    The earliest you could have done anything was 7 AM on 9/1.   You asked a question 10 hours later but had already acted.

Rule #1, at least in my mind, is "If you're not sure, don't do it.   Ask someone."    There is nothing in HBD that requires an instant action.
9/3/2013 11:42 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/3/2013 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Your initial question was on the 8/26.  Your draft was on 9/1.    You asked a question on 9/1 at 5:17.   You got a response 2 minutes later.   Due to the fact that you felt the need to ask a question about signability, it seems that you'd have waited to go it on your own if you weren't sure.    The earliest you could have done anything was 7 AM on 9/1.   You asked a question 10 hours later but had already acted.

Rule #1, at least in my mind, is "If you're not sure, don't do it.   Ask someone."    There is nothing in HBD that requires an instant action.
My initial question was 8.26, but if you read the question it is not about the same situation. I was asking about the likelihood of a prospect signing who had a different predraft likelihood response. These were two separate questions that I kept in the same thread because they were somewhat related and I didn't want to  clog the forums with abunch of different threads.

I asked on 9/1 about offering the new contact only after twice being told the same thing by my draft pick that he wasn't sure about signing. If you are wondering why I didn't ask the question about what to do with my draft pick right away, again it is because after he initially told me that he wasn't sure about signing, given how contract negotiations work out in ALL other aspects of the game, I assumed more money would help my chances. It was only after getting the same reply twice did I realize that something was different with draft picks.

At no point, did I ignore the answers that I received. 

9/3/2013 11:49 AM (edited)
This is the answer to your additional question:

"Whether it is or not is kind of irrelevant.   Relatively new owners need to be a bit more patient when they're unsure of what they're doing.   THAT is within their control whereas the system is not."

9/3/2013 11:45 AM
Seriously, I'm not being a dick intentionally.    Nothing HAD to be done before you asked(if you weren't sure).  You weren't bidding against anyone.   We've all made mistakes, I've made plenty, and we've all had to deal with the consequences.   That's where you are now.   You have every right to complain but no one here can help you.   Send a ticket.  Maybe WifS will say "Yeah, it's been that way since the inception but we should change that!"
9/3/2013 11:48 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/3/2013 11:48:00 AM (view original):
Seriously, I'm not being a dick intentionally.    Nothing HAD to be done before you asked(if you weren't sure).  You weren't bidding against anyone.   We've all made mistakes, I've made plenty, and we've all had to deal with the consequences.   That's where you are now.   You have every right to complain but no one here can help you.   Send a ticket.  Maybe WifS will say "Yeah, it's been that way since the inception but we should change that!"
Well I'm just a little annoyed now because you're acting as if I am intentionally trying to ignore advice and complaining unjustly about being screwed. I honestly don't think I did anything too rash, for example, once the draft pick came back the 2nd time with the same response, I Realized something was different with this type of contract negotiation. Rather than withdraw my contract offer and go back to the original, as you can I asked the board what to do (and I still haven't withdrawn the increased offer). This should show you that I am trying to do what the forum suggests and the patience to see what others would say to do before acting. I hadn't encountered anything unusual yet that would make me think I needed to ask the forum the question when he came back the first time saying he was unsure. 
9/3/2013 11:56 AM

No, you're complaining because you did something without knowing the repercussions.   Happens all the time.   Please refer to my Rule #1.   

And now I'll stop because I'm stepping into dick territory and I'm just not up to that today.    Good luck with your ticket asking for a change. 

9/3/2013 11:58 AM
I may be wrong but this seems like a pile of arguing over nothing.  Has anybody seen any indication that after a feigned indifference which is programmed into the sim just to pretend to present an negotiation that isn't actually occurring, that the player won't sign?

It's just a stupid cosmetic of the game, isn't it?

9/3/2013 12:01 PM
I think he's worried about the comp pick.   I'm assuming, possibly incorrectly, that he may not have enough prospect money to match the yet unknown increased demand.    That's the discussion at this point.
9/3/2013 12:06 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Amateur Draft Signability Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.