Amateur Draft Signability Topic

I have about $1mm left to sign at this point assuming no trades can be worked out. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to sign him. Is he definitely going to ask for more money or go back to college? Are those the only two outcomes at this point?

I'd prefer to sign the prospect since he appears to be a stud, rather than get a comp pick.

Although if I can't sign him, I'd obviously prefer a comp pick to no comp pick.

9/3/2013 12:12 PM
Sometimes they sign for the original demands without an increase.  I see a lot with the "looking to be drafted in the first X rounds" guys.
9/3/2013 12:15 PM
Can you transfer any budget after you see his counter, to make up a shortfall?

(BTW, I guess you can always ask nicely in the trade chat if anyone wants to take a player/salary off your hands so you can sign a prospect.  Someone did that in my world this past season.  I hated it because to me it's collusion, but the world let it slide, so whatever.)

9/3/2013 12:17 PM (edited)
Not without making trades, all I have left is $1.1mm in my transfer budget (After offering him his original demand plus 200k), and $300k in my payroll budget. 

Idk what his counter will be yet, since it has only been 2 real life days since I last heard from him. 
9/3/2013 12:17 PM
"Are you suggesting the natural response to a new owner having a contract offer rejected by a draft pick is to instead ask the forum what to do instead of offering the draft pick more money?"

This is the disconnect right here - your offer wasn't rejected, and no one ever told you it was.  All the responses in the situation you describe are to the effect of "we like the offer, we just have to decide whether to play baseball or not, we'll be in touch."
9/3/2013 12:17 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/3/2013 12:17:00 PM (view original):
"Are you suggesting the natural response to a new owner having a contract offer rejected by a draft pick is to instead ask the forum what to do instead of offering the draft pick more money?"

This is the disconnect right here - your offer wasn't rejected, and no one ever told you it was.  All the responses in the situation you describe are to the effect of "we like the offer, we just have to decide whether to play baseball or not, we'll be in touch."
The symbol next his to the first contract negotiations was the empty spyglass, the same icon that is used when you make an offer to a coach or FA/IFA that is short of their expectations. This is why I thought his response was the equivalent to="give me money". 

It was only after that I got the 2nd empty spyglass that I asked the forum what it meant. Since then I have not disputed anyone who has said that his response didn't mean he rejected me.
9/3/2013 12:19 PM
But coaches flat out tell you "give me more money."

I agree this should be changed - it's undoubtedly not intentional, but just a combination of the fact that offering a new contract withdraws the existing offer and the system checks to see if you ever withdrew the offer before awarding a compensatory pick.  And there's a good reason for the second part, it's just that they should figure out how to not have a new offer count as a "real" withdrawal.

But Mike's point is good advice - if you're not sure, ask.

9/3/2013 12:23 PM
Look, wide range of predicted outcomes here... the first time I ever got one of these, I did the same thing, threw a second offer at him before I asked someone.  Then I asked someone who told me, "Don't bother."

The player came back asking for LESS than my second offer, which I offered, and he signed for.

BUT he was NOT a first rounder.

9/3/2013 12:23 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/3/2013 12:23:00 PM (view original):
But coaches flat out tell you "give me more money."

I agree this should be changed - it's undoubtedly not intentional, but just a combination of the fact that offering a new contract withdraws the existing offer and the system checks to see if you ever withdrew the offer before awarding a compensatory pick.  And there's a good reason for the second part, it's just that they should figure out how to not have a new offer count as a "real" withdrawal.

But Mike's point is good advice - if you're not sure, ask.

When you are in the lead for a FA/IFA/Coach but they haven't signed, i.e. "they haven't made up their mind", the symbol has the #1 in it. When they will reject your offer, but it still says they are technically considering it, it has the empty spy glass symbol. This is where the confusion came from. 
9/3/2013 12:37 PM
Having gone through my 44 seasons without hiring a coach or attempting to sign a FA or IFA, I am shocked to know this...

I'm well aware of what you were talking about.  My only point was that if in their actual responses, coaches and free agents always tell you if they want more money.  So do draftees.
9/3/2013 12:42 PM (edited)
Posted by AlCheez on 9/3/2013 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Having gone through my 44 seasons without hiring a coach or attempting to sign a FA or IFA, I am shocked to know this...

I'm well aware of what you were talking about.  My only point was that if in their actual responses, coaches and free agents always tell you if they want more money.  So do draftees.
 I do indeed read their responses. The response from my draft pick sounded like more of rejection than an acceptance and coupled with the de facto "rejection" symbol that is used in ALL other facets of the game, I (logically) assumed that I needed to increase my offer.  

If a player rejects your contact in draft negotiations you get the "x" symbol, but not in coaches/FA negotiations. 

I understand your point though. I just also think that the system is confusing and should be more clearly clarified. 

9/3/2013 12:45 PM
Well, that's not a rejection symbol even in those places.  There is a rejection symbol if you make an offer that's below their demands.
9/3/2013 12:48 PM
You're right, but if you offer a contract but they say another team is offering me more, or if you try to sign a MiLB player that won't sign with you because another team has a better fit, then you get the open spy glass symbol, despite the fact that they will not sign your contact unless you change the offer. 
9/3/2013 12:55 PM
Or someone else withdraws an offer.  It's really the universal symbol for "The offer is fine, but there's some other reason I won't sign it."
9/3/2013 12:56 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/3/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Or someone else withdraws an offer.  It's really the universal symbol for "The offer is fine, but there's some other reason I won't sign it."
Exactly, "but there's some other reason I won't sign it"=rejection of the contract essentially, no? (although this is really just semantics at this point), I think we both understand what the other is saying... 
9/3/2013 12:59 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Amateur Draft Signability Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.