3B who can't throw Topic

I'm considering playing a guy at 3B who has, in effect, a below-average 2B's profile (range and glove in the upper 70s, arm strength and accuracy in the 50s). Yes, he's right-handed.

Have any of you tried this? How did it work out for you?

9/15/2013 3:40 PM
He'll be fine.  Check out Booger's fielding thread, if you can find it.

I've used This_Guy at 3B for 704 innings.  His fielding ratings are 77-74-59-61.  He has 2 + plays, no - plays and a .975 fld % with a 2.98 range factor.

You're guy will be more than suitable. 
9/15/2013 8:17 PM
No.

If you go through a league, any league, and collect 3B fielding stats, you will see a strong relation between assists per innings played and arm strength and accuracy.

In other words, when your 3b can't throw a runner out, it's not an error, or a negative play, but a base hit, and thus no assist. You are giving the other team free hits.
9/15/2013 10:48 PM
Further, why would ANYONE listen to booger for anything except how to not be funny?
9/15/2013 10:50 PM
It's the difference between one assist every 3-3.5 innings for at or above recs (not much difference once you hit them) or one assist every 4 ish innings when you have a guy with 2b recs.
In other words, you are giving up a free hit every 1 to 1 1/2 games.
9/15/2013 11:19 PM
Wouldn't that be a minus play?  Why isn't it?
9/16/2013 9:44 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
What do the fielding + and - plays indicate?

These indicators tell you that a player made an above average or below average fielding play. Every player has the potential to make both, but stronger fielders will make more + plays and weaker fielders will make more - plays. Range plays a big role, but Glove, Arm Strength and Arm Accuracy also play a role. Each position has the chance for a +/- play, but those receiving more chances will have a higher raw count.

Is this wrong?
9/16/2013 2:09 PM
If the other three factors do play a role, it's minor. It would not be the first time the Help info "exaggerated" the ability of the game to be realistic. If you look at +/- leaders it tends to follow Range ratings, with some fluctuations due to balls in play (pitching, park factors), random luck and maybe the other 3 defensive ratings. Someone with too much time to play in a spreadsheet might be able to figure out how much each of those impacts +/-, but range seems to be the overwhelming factor.
9/16/2013 3:19 PM
This guy was a + play machine for me at 2B despite range that was just below the recs when he was playing for me: http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=2677642

9/16/2013 4:02 PM
Yea, I'm having trouble with the idea of "he would have made that play with better arm strength, but we won't tell the user that."  

Does death or someone want to show me some info re: 3B with well below average arm strength where the assists were lower than they should be, but the +/- didn't reflect it?
9/16/2013 4:53 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jason Jordan is 5th in the league in 3B assists and 4th in 3B + plays... I wouldn't go with a 70ish/70ish weak armed 3B, but a great Range/Glove guy seems to work well.
9/16/2013 5:05 PM
Posted by etillma on 9/15/2013 3:40:00 PM (view original):
I'm considering playing a guy at 3B who has, in effect, a below-average 2B's profile (range and glove in the upper 70s, arm strength and accuracy in the 50s). Yes, he's right-handed.

Have any of you tried this? How did it work out for you?

I've tried it a few times.  Never worked well for me.
9/16/2013 5:08 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 9/16/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Yea, I'm having trouble with the idea of "he would have made that play with better arm strength, but we won't tell the user that."  

Does death or someone want to show me some info re: 3B with well below average arm strength where the assists were lower than they should be, but the +/- didn't reflect it?
See above. Pick any of your leagues.

Basically, two groups; one at or above arm reqs, one below. Innings/assists. You will see a gap of .5 or more.
9/16/2013 5:24 PM
My understanding has been range and arm strength relate to +/- plays, while glove and arm accuracy relate to errors.
9/16/2013 8:02 PM
123 Next ▸
3B who can't throw Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.