Poll to WIS about HBD Please vote Topic

This is a good example.    http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/UserProfile.aspx?uid=348849

6 worlds, 4 inactive.   He's not checking in.   How is he being harmed?   He seems quite content to sit in those worlds and wait.  
9/24/2013 1:01 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that the people sitting and waiting are being harmed.  The "harm" is from having those guys sitting in worlds taking forever to fill when they could be filling better worlds (invariably defined as the worlds of the people arguing for contraction.)

People seem to think if you off a few worlds there will be this mass rush of teams into other worlds - and I think they are underestimating the attrition that would occur.  I have 2 teams and if one of those worlds closed I would probably not pick up another team, not even out of anger, but because I'm attached to that team and world and not interested enough in the game to start from scratch.
9/24/2013 1:07 PM
Perhaps I phrased it improperly.   How is he harming HBD as a whole?   He's checking his active teams and ignoring the unfilled worlds.  
9/24/2013 1:12 PM
Well, I gave the answer to that, even though I don't agree with it - he's "harming" HBD by hanging on to his team in a world that "will never fill" when he could be helping a better world with a chance to roll in a reasonable time go.

Basically he's "harming" the people complaining by sitting in his world rather than joining theirs.

Anyhow, it's obvious that HBD goes through demand issues at various times - but given the nature of the game, I don't exactly think the answer is as simple as reducing supply.

9/24/2013 1:18 PM
If you don't agree with the "reason", it's not really a reason.    Perhaps someone has a real reason they'd like to submit.
9/24/2013 1:20 PM
Sure it's a reason, it's just one that I (and you) reject.  I don't think we should close worlds - I've just seen the conversation enough times to know why the advocates think these half-filled worlds sitting around are bad for the rest.
9/24/2013 1:38 PM
I'm surprised at the people that can sit on an inactive team for weeks (or even longer).
The enjoyment I get from a team is generally determined by how attached I am to the team and its players, and long layoffs really hurt that attachment. I backed out of a good league several months ago because it was taking too long to fill. It was a good league with fine owners, but after several weeks I just wasn't 'feeling it' anymore and it wasn't worth my money.
Different strokes etc

9/24/2013 2:18 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/24/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Well, I gave the answer to that, even though I don't agree with it - he's "harming" HBD by hanging on to his team in a world that "will never fill" when he could be helping a better world with a chance to roll in a reasonable time go.

Basically he's "harming" the people complaining by sitting in his world rather than joining theirs.

Anyhow, it's obvious that HBD goes through demand issues at various times - but given the nature of the game, I don't exactly think the answer is as simple as reducing supply.

You also said "but because I'm attached to that team and world and not interested enough in the game to start from scratch".

That's how many of the guys feel who sit in an inactive world for 3 months or longer.
So they just pretend that there isn't a problem and hope it will fill one day. Which it will eventually...

9/24/2013 2:23 PM
What is the general time frame for a world to fill? A week maybe? If it hasn't filled by then, it probably won't. Contraction needs to happen for supply to meet demand.
9/24/2013 2:44 PM
Posted by EasyE7273 on 9/24/2013 2:44:00 PM (view original):
What is the general time frame for a world to fill? A week maybe? If it hasn't filled by then, it probably won't. Contraction needs to happen for supply to meet demand.
Why contraction?  Merging allows people to keep their teams (although not their history or their worlds), and it reduces demand.
9/24/2013 2:50 PM
Since there's only been a couple of mergers and no world closings (or maybe one, there was one announced but I seem to recall it never happened), I'm going to say that your assumption that if a world hasn't filled in a week it won't is flawed.

The problem with reducing supply in HBD is that you're also going to reduce demand by some amount at the same time because not every owner in a contracted world is going to replace their team.   The real answer is good marketing/promotion during the typical down periods to bring in a better flow of new users, but that doesn't seem to be on WIS's radar.
9/24/2013 2:52 PM
You'll have to excuse me if I feel like you're talking out the side of your mouth but, a week ago, you inquired about an opening in a world I commish.    Basically, if your world didn't fill soon, you'd be interested in taking a team.   I said "When you know what you're going to do, let me know."    You haven't and your world hasn't filled.    Even worse, two others have confirmed their interest so, at best, you're third on a list that seldom goes that deep.

What, if you believe a world hasn't filled in a week, is holding you back from making a decision?    Maybe you like your team and your world?
9/24/2013 2:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/24/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
You'll have to excuse me if I feel like you're talking out the side of your mouth but, a week ago, you inquired about an opening in a world I commish.    Basically, if your world didn't fill soon, you'd be interested in taking a team.   I said "When you know what you're going to do, let me know."    You haven't and your world hasn't filled.    Even worse, two others have confirmed their interest so, at best, you're third on a list that seldom goes that deep.

What, if you believe a world hasn't filled in a week, is holding you back from making a decision?    Maybe you like your team and your world?
Exactly. 

That world went public and they gained 3 "new owners". All accounts created within a 12 day period, and these "new owners" went straight to that world that has been sitting longer than any other. All 3 are STILL there, patiently waiting. Because as a new owner, you know, they just want to try THAT world, and aren't really interested in actually trying the game out ASAP like EVERY OTHER REAL NEW OWNER.

Then after the month of being public and gaining the three aliases, they went back to private and have since lost 3 "real owners". 

9/24/2013 3:04 PM
Just saying people stay in worlds for any number of reasons.    Eliminating that world doesn't necessarily do anything for anyone.  
9/24/2013 3:32 PM
As I've said before, you don't see a lot of businesses being run by making a convenient exit available to customers.

9/24/2013 4:01 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Poll to WIS about HBD Please vote Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.