Pinch hitting is not an exact science. Topic

In the 6th inning we had 2 on and 2 out with the pitcher coming to bat, the sim pinch hit with another pitcher. In the 9th the pitcher led off the inning and was not pinch hit for. All three bench players were starting due to auto-rest settings of my main lineup. There were 3 every day players getting the day off because they are below my rest setting of 99%. 

If this is typical, that auto-rest essentially puts the players on actual rest, then I feel it is a substantial flaw in the game design. 
10/1/2013 3:30 PM
What part of "rest" is confusing to you?

If you're going to let simmy decide who's going to be in your starting lineup rather than setting it yourself for a particular game, then you really have no right to complain.

It seems like the game engine did exactly what it was designed to do and in accordance with the settings that you control.
10/1/2013 3:42 PM
You're upset that auto-rest is resting your players.

Listen to what you're saying.
10/1/2013 3:47 PM
Yep, it's auto-rest, not auto-bench. 
10/1/2013 3:52 PM
I would have expected better from the forum community.  There isn't a setting that causes the manager to use common sense.  Using auto rest should give players the day off barring an injury or situational opportunity in a close game.  Had one of my players been injured in the first inning the sim puts a pitcher in for the remainder of the game? If so, that is equally flawed.  I am looking for real life simulation of baseball here not because the computer says so.
10/1/2013 4:03 PM
If you set a player to rest, he won't play in that game unless there's an injury, I believe.
10/1/2013 4:07 PM
Posted by paul0613 on 10/1/2013 4:03:00 PM (view original):
I would have expected better from the forum community.  There isn't a setting that causes the manager to use common sense.  Using auto rest should give players the day off barring an injury or situational opportunity in a close game.  Had one of my players been injured in the first inning the sim puts a pitcher in for the remainder of the game? If so, that is equally flawed.  I am looking for real life simulation of baseball here not because the computer says so.
No, if there's an injury, he'll play.

Benching someone and resting them are two different things in this game.  You're using auto-rest, and rest means no playing unless an injury to someone else necessitates it.  I wouldn't have a problem if they added a setting that allowed you to use a player on rest for PH only, but I don't think the current design is wrong.  
10/1/2013 4:10 PM
Auto-bench would be an interesting add to the game.  I don't let the sim make these kinds of decisions for me, though.
10/1/2013 4:12 PM
I agree, manually resting a player in the lineup screen should dictate the player does not play at all.  However, auto-rest should exclude injuries, pinch hitting, pinch running, and defensive replacement.  That would allow for more realistic use of star players.
10/1/2013 4:22 PM
You want auto-bench.  I get it, and wouldn't be opposed to that addition.  But it's auto-rest.  And auto-rest does exclude injuries so that someone can replace the position player.
10/1/2013 4:26 PM
"I would have expected better from the forum community."

That was your first mistake. Your expectations were too high.
No, auto-rest should automatically rest your players.  If you want auto-bench, that's fine - but auto-rest is working just fine.

And you're perfectly free to use your stars in a very realistic manner, just don't cede control of that aspect of your team to the sim.
Yea the moral of this story is "Don't use auto-rest."  Even if you had it your way, you're gonna have wacky looking lineups when you do that.
10/1/2013 4:30 PM
I use it, but I acknowledge it's because I'm not interested in micro-managing my teams for most of the season and I recognize that's not the best way to get the most out of my teams.
10/1/2013 4:33 PM
Setting line-ups 2-3 times a day is "micro-managing"?
10/1/2013 5:46 PM
12 Next ▸
Pinch hitting is not an exact science. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.