Newbie trading question Topic

Playing this game for the first time and put this guy on the trade block:

www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx

He's done developing. What you see is what you get.

I was offered this guy in return:

www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx

He's still developing but only has a little bit more to go before he reaches his peak (his pot. overall is 82 and I have my advanced scouting maxed out so this should be close to correct). I need outfielders a lot more than I need a closer (my team is mediocre and won't be over .500 this year) and the OF is a lot cheaper (this year, anyway). Since this is the first trade I've ever done, I basically need to know if this seems like a fair trade to you HBD vets. 
10/9/2013 9:59 AM (edited)
Id keep the reliever.   He is very good.  Also id consider doing away with the "closer" idea.  The outfielder is done developing as you can see he gained 0 over the last season.   The outfielder is also not very good. TO me its not even close but that may just be my opinion.
10/9/2013 10:28 AM
I agree with brian - the OF is not even a full time player. You can and should get much more for that RP.
10/9/2013 10:37 AM
If you are new, I'd hold off making big moves until you have a firm handle on the relationship between ratings and performance.  You also should try to learn what kind of players are easily replaceable (the RF in this scenario) and what kind of players are more difficult to acquire (a shutdown RP)
10/9/2013 10:38 AM
Don't do it.  Players are done progressing after year 4, and the RF is in year 8.  The RP is a beast, under a great contract for a long time.  He should also be able to get more innings, if he were put into a setup A role.  So basically, what everyone else said, but just more confirmation that it shouldn't be a trade to consider.
10/9/2013 10:43 AM
One more vote for no - that OF is a dime a dozen.

You say you need OFs now, but this is the kind of player you'll want to dump as soon as your team gets better.

10/9/2013 10:48 AM (edited)
Posted by jptrainwreck on 10/9/2013 10:38:00 AM (view original):
If you are new, I'd hold off making big moves until you have a firm handle on the relationship between ratings and performance.  You also should try to learn what kind of players are easily replaceable (the RF in this scenario) and what kind of players are more difficult to acquire (a shutdown RP)
+1

Go look at some free agents.  I bet you find a few guys who look a lot like this guy being offered to you.  You have a stud reliever, I'd hold on to him.
10/9/2013 10:46 AM
Ok. I definitely think I'm going to hold off on making moves for a while, seems like I have no idea what's valuable in the HDB universe yet. Thanks guys.
10/9/2013 11:14 AM
My rule #1 for new players is "If you're not sure, don't do it."    You could add "If you have to ask....." to this situation.

I'd recommend no trading for at least half a season.   You're blood in the water and the sharks are circling.
10/9/2013 12:22 PM
Although, to be fair, the guy you were offered has a .799 OPS on his career.   He's not nearly as useless as some make him out to be.
10/9/2013 12:24 PM
Not useless, but he is replaceable.  From his ABs he's not a full time player for his current team.  I recently traded away a very similar player, because I had a BL-ready first rounder coming up.  I dangled him on the block for a full season before someone offered a mid-level prospect for him, the player I received may be an LR in the bigs if he ever makes it.  Every owner I TC'd with said "I already have guys like that."

10/9/2013 12:32 PM
While he's been underused, I bet I can replace 60 innings of relief work pretty easily.
10/9/2013 12:47 PM
I would say that 60 innings of 1.18 WHIP and .799 OPS are not as replacable as everyone says.

And, I would take the extra $4M and give it a shot at proving me wrong.

I also don't see one developing and the other not developing. They both basically are what they are.

To sum up: I would take all the suggestions. Trade him, and you can find something like him with the extra $4M, but wait until the sharks stop circling.
10/9/2013 2:36 PM
I'd argue that this guy's career OPS is falling this year.  And a guy like him is much easier to find than the relief pitcher.  

I Mike alluded to another thing I'd tell matt - don't use this guy as a closer like he's been used.  Don't use a closer at all.  Setup A, allow him to come in the 8th inning and get 100 innings out of him.
10/9/2013 2:54 PM
This is usually fun:   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Will Springer  Cincy Roses RF.   .792 career OPS
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Yorman Santana  Det Engines RF.   .774
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Louie Sojo  Jax Courduroy   .818
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dan Ingram  Louisville Kracken   .767
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ben Rossy  Huntington Crew  .809

IOW, 60% of the owners who said "That RF sucks and can easily be replaced" are using lesser RF.    And the two that aren't are using RF that are just slightly better.

Don't you guys know that we can check your rosters?
10/9/2013 3:35 PM
123 Next ▸
Newbie trading question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.