Development Patterns? Topic

Is there something I'm doing wrong in regards to development? I've had top coaches at all levels, but Owen's control rating which improved 5 points in his 1st full season, and 7 points in his 2nd full season, seems to have stalled completely this season..

Likewise Ainsworth's batting eye has barely developed. Both have good makeups and were given all the playing time they could handle. Shouldn't they be developing more? 

Bridges stopped developing his Vr rating his 3rd full season which I found odd because I thought players continued to develop through their 3rd full season.

Thanks in advance.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Sam Ainsworth

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Donovan Owens

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rob Bridges
12/6/2013 1:59 PM
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? 

Thanks in advance. 
12/7/2013 7:52 PM
Sometimes players will hit their ceiling before the end of their third season. 

Ainsworth is still developing solidly wrt Vs R, Vs L and defensively. His eye is probably close to having topped out, and his contact is slowing considerably.

Going by his first season of development I would expect his Eye to reach close to 65, and he is only 5 from it now. He is likely to gain a couple more this season and a few next and will get near that 65.

Contact is probably a 55 MAX, so again he will get close but it will be only a few points this season and a few more next.

Owens control looks to have also reached it's ceiling. I would have projected 59 max and he's there now. I expect his Vs R to gain between 2-5 more points max over his career...

Bridges is probably still going to gain a couple more in his splits. I would have projected them to 75/64. He's already at 75 VsL, and only 3 points from 64 VsR, so I'd expect a 62 by season's end, and possibly a point or two increase during his career at the BL level.
12/8/2013 12:04 PM
Your advanced scouting is only $12m, so whatever projections you are seeing are not going to be very accurate.

Another big factor with respect to development is that ratings tend to advance towards the player's "true" projections based on the gap between current and projection.  The bigger the gap (and the younger the player), the faster the development.  But as he approaches his true projections, or as he gets older, development will slow down.

It's very possible that whatever projections you are seeing at $12m may be distorted, and the players in question may already be close to their true projections in certain categories, so development will be appear to be very slow or virtually stopped.
12/8/2013 12:32 PM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 12/8/2013 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes players will hit their ceiling before the end of their third season. 

Ainsworth is still developing solidly wrt Vs R, Vs L and defensively. His eye is probably close to having topped out, and his contact is slowing considerably.

Going by his first season of development I would expect his Eye to reach close to 65, and he is only 5 from it now. He is likely to gain a couple more this season and a few next and will get near that 65.

Contact is probably a 55 MAX, so again he will get close but it will be only a few points this season and a few more next.

Owens control looks to have also reached it's ceiling. I would have projected 59 max and he's there now. I expect his Vs R to gain between 2-5 more points max over his career...

Bridges is probably still going to gain a couple more in his splits. I would have projected them to 75/64. He's already at 75 VsL, and only 3 points from 64 VsR, so I'd expect a 62 by season's end, and possibly a point or two increase during his career at the BL level.
What makes you say you would have projected Owens' control to be 59 Max when he improved by 7 points in that category last year?
12/9/2013 2:26 PM
Your hitting and pitching coaches have low discipline.   If I'm not mistaken, that's an important trait for control/eye improvement.
12/9/2013 2:55 PM
1st season development was only 5.

5*2.5 = 12.5. 

12.5 +47 = 59.5
12/9/2013 2:56 PM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 12/9/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):

5*2.5 = 12.5. 

12.5 +47 = 59.5
Do you multiply by 2.5 for all categories? Or does this multiplier only apply to control? I had no clue that 1st season development is more important than 2nd season development especially since he improved by more in his 2nd year than 1st.

Thanks
12/9/2013 3:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Your hitting and pitching coaches have low discipline.   If I'm not mistaken, that's an important trait for control/eye improvement.
For my world, my hitting coach has the 2nd highest discipline in the majors of all hitting coaches. My pitching coach is in the top third of the league respectively as well. 
12/9/2013 3:03 PM
Maybe so.   But they're still low. 
12/9/2013 4:19 PM
Posted by bglick on 12/9/2013 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 12/9/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):

5*2.5 = 12.5. 

12.5 +47 = 59.5
Do you multiply by 2.5 for all categories? Or does this multiplier only apply to control? I had no clue that 1st season development is more important than 2nd season development especially since he improved by more in his 2nd year than 1st.

Thanks
The 2.5x is a rough estimate for all categories. Actual results will vary, mostly based on playing time and coaching, along with makeup and the other non-physical categories Some players' CON will go up by 2.8 and their vL up 2.1. Some players overall will go up 2.3, others 2.7. But in general, 2.5x is a relatively accurate — and free — predictor. The reason ADV is so easy to skip is that with this knowledge, you can get $20M worth of projection on any player who shows two Spring Training ratings sets.
12/9/2013 5:28 PM
Thanks! And that multiplier applies to all ages (I know HS players get develop more, but start off less polished, so does the 2.5x multiplier also apply to college players as well, especially jr/sr position players?)

Thanks again. 
12/9/2013 5:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2013 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Maybe so.   But they're still low. 
Oops nvm I thought you misread "disclipine" as "patience" (somehow). you're right their discipline is very low, Thanks for pointing that out, I'll look towards more disciplined coaches in the future. 
12/9/2013 6:33 PM
Development Patterns? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.