Late season promotion bump Topic

In one of my leagues, we have an owner who claims that if you promote players during the WS, they will recieve a ratings bump for that promotion. I think I've heard this theory before. Is it true? Personally I think it's not. I promoted 2 good 19 year old prospects with not a bit of improvement. Any bump is probably just because it was time, not due to the promotion itself. What do you think? 
12/8/2013 7:19 AM
I've found that you cannot predict promotion bumps.
12/8/2013 7:39 AM
I firmly believe there is no such thing as a "promotion bump" period.

As you say "Any bump is probably just because it was time, not due to the promotion itself".

I have seen evidence for this being the case, and NO evidence to make me think otherwise.

12/8/2013 9:55 AM
There is definitely a promotion bump.  The later you wait in the season the better your chances.  I just promoted 22 players, who all received the maximum regular season bumps, but 16 of them received an extra promotion bump.  Good Luck.
4/2/2014 5:26 PM
I'm in the same league as cpun. I promoted about half a dozen or so players after the regular season ended. Usually there are 4 promtions in a season, I think. About half of the guys I promoted immediately got a 5th when promoted.
4/2/2014 9:18 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
IF there was ever a chance for an actual "promotion bump" it would make sense that it would be at the end of the regular season...
4/3/2014 7:40 AM
Posted by usfbully on 4/3/2014 7:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cpunishment on 4/2/2014 5:26:00 PM (view original):
There is definitely a promotion bump.  The later you wait in the season the better your chances.  I just promoted 22 players, who all received the maximum regular season bumps, but 16 of them received an extra promotion bump.  Good Luck.
With your record being less then stellar it would behoov you to either link said players or provide some sort of supporting documentation to this claim.
"Behoove" is one of those $5 words.  "Behoov" is only $1.19.
4/3/2014 7:58 AM
Good catch. Not that I need to defend spelling on a sports website but I looked that word over twice when I typed it into the tablet this AM. The "auto-correct" suggested that as the spelling.
4/3/2014 11:13 AM
Another item for the list of ways this game could be improved. I wonder how anyone involved with creating HBD thought it would be a good idea, and then took the time to program logic that has any chance of changing rating numbers when a player is promoted or demoted.
4/3/2014 1:20 PM
There is no such thing as a Promotion bump. There are no user generated boosts to ratings, such as a demotion penalty. The end of season "bump" you see as a result from promotion, is merely an update that would have rolled over to the following season's Opening Day update. Promote them to get the update, but more importantly, keep them where your highest coaching IQ is during rollover for the best physical skill development.
4/7/2014 6:22 AM
Posted by cdc80uf on 4/7/2014 6:23:00 AM (view original):
There is no such thing as a Promotion bump. There are no user generated boosts to ratings, such as a demotion penalty. The end of season "bump" you see as a result from promotion, is merely an update that would have rolled over to the following season's Opening Day update. Promote them to get the update, but more importantly, keep them where your highest coaching IQ is during rollover for the best physical skill development.
Two corrections:

1)  There definitely IS a demotion penalty

2)  Off-season physical ratings development is NOT impacted by coaches; only by training.  Coaches only help with in-season development of skills ratings.
4/7/2014 6:32 AM
1) Yeah I meant there was a demotion penalty and not a boost.
2) I forget what made me think they effected physical during the off-season...

Found this in the FAQ as well for young owners info...

"Players go through several development cycles throughout the season. They typically occur a consistent number of days apart. However, significant transactions can adjust this schedule. For instance, if a player is traded, claimed off waivers, promoted or demoted at a time that is pretty close to when they would have had a development cycle, they will go through a development cycle immediately. This takes the place of their regularly scheduled development cycle. Their next one will then occur sooner than typical. It's setup this way so everyone will go through approximately the same number of development/aging cycles but each dev cycle is tied to the coaching and training and medical staff of the team the player was with at the time of the cycle."
4/7/2014 6:47 AM
just out of curiosity, before my one league rolled over I re-checked all of that season's draft picks....almost all players had 4 regular season bumps, except for a select few that had a 5th bump labelled Promotion. None of my guys ever got that 5th bump on his own. Also, none of the guys who had 5 bumps had his 5th bump labelled regular season. I think there might actually might be something to this.
4/7/2014 10:47 AM (edited)
I have had 100s of players get a 5th Regular Season "update" always happens when I get past the divisional or championship series.
For example Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Lorenzo Crespo

4/7/2014 11:44 AM
123 Next ▸
Late season promotion bump Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.