Signing IFA's late in the Year Topic

I can't remember if I read this somewhere or not, but I think I remember reading that if you signed an IFA late in the year, it was better to hold off playing him that year so that he doesn't gain a year of experience so that he doesn't waste a year of development? Or am I making this up completely? Will he still follow a normal development pattern if I signed him at age 19 115 games into the season? 
12/28/2013 9:09 PM
Yes, assign him, put him on the inactive list, you will be fine
12/28/2013 9:41 PM
Disagree... I don't think the development clock resets if you miss a year.   Just play him and get what you can out of the year.
12/28/2013 11:15 PM
So it doesn't affect normal development?
12/29/2013 12:30 PM
It does not affect normal development, you get a full season of development in the following season. If you play him at the tail end of a season, you essentially waste a season of development
12/29/2013 5:48 PM
However you can sometimes get pretty good IFAs late in the year rather cheaply once most other teams have blown out their prospect budgets. Of course you are not guaranteed that good ones will show up late so you're taking a chance. But if I can get a good one at a reasonable price late, I wouldn't worry too much about a so-called 'wasted' year.
12/29/2013 7:09 PM
Posted by dherz_263 on 12/29/2013 5:48:00 PM (view original):
It does not affect normal development, you get a full season of development in the following season. If you play him at the tail end of a season, you essentially waste a season of development
Wait could you clarify please? So if I play him at the tail end of the season it stunts his development? By normal development I meant having 4 seasons to develop. 

Thanks.
12/29/2013 9:51 PM

By not playing him at all, you can delay when he will need to be added to the 40 to be protected from the R5 draft.

If he's a top-notch prospect, that shouldn't really matter because he should develop to the point of being ML ready after 4 pro seasons.

If he's not a top-notch prospect, then it really shouldn't matter because you shouldn't care if he's exposed (and possibly lost) to R5.

If he's somewhere in-between, then it really shouldn't matter because he's probably a AAAA type guy who's easily replaceable.

12/29/2013 10:44 PM
If you sign a player at the end of the season, and he doesn't play (regular season and playoffs), that season doesn't count to towards his development (will start the next season with zero seasons of experience).

if he plays a few games, he won't get any real developmental benefits from that season, and starts the next season with 1 year of experience.

Most development occurs in the first 4 season
12/29/2013 11:17 PM
Personally, any strong prospect I sign after game 100 doesn't play that season
12/29/2013 11:19 PM
While that may be fine and dandy, you're taking an 18 y/o prospect and turning him into a 19 y/o prospect.   Assuming you're working towards the 4 years of development before turning him into a BL player, he's now going to be 23 when he starts his BL career.  If you go about controlling him for 10 seasons(3 min wage, 2 arb, 5 LT), he's started to decline(assuming position player) as he's 32 in his last season.  If you do the 20 game hold thing, he's 33.   

If the prospect is 19-23, it's even worse.

Not sure what you're gaining on the back end for position players. 
12/30/2013 8:14 AM
As I understood it, player growth slows dramatically by age 23 and is pretty much done by 24. So any chance you miss to play him in his 18-19-20 seasons is purely lost time. By that measure, "redshirting" a guy would do absolutely nothing to delay development time. Or am I making THAT up?

12/30/2013 9:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/30/2013 8:14:00 AM (view original):
While that may be fine and dandy, you're taking an 18 y/o prospect and turning him into a 19 y/o prospect.   Assuming you're working towards the 4 years of development before turning him into a BL player, he's now going to be 23 when he starts his BL career.  If you go about controlling him for 10 seasons(3 min wage, 2 arb, 5 LT), he's started to decline(assuming position player) as he's 32 in his last season.  If you do the 20 game hold thing, he's 33.   

If the prospect is 19-23, it's even worse.

Not sure what you're gaining on the back end for position players. 
Isn't what you gain that the player will develop less since he has less time this season to develop that he won't make up later on?

Aka, There are only 20 regular MILB games left. Scenario A is if I signed the IFA at the beginning and got to play roughly 90% of the games. The 2nd scenario is the one I'm in, I signed him late in the year. Both scenaros would show 1 year experience if I started playing him now. But scenario B (signed late in the season) would get signficantly less development time than scenario A and would stop developing at the exact same time. That is what I'm trying to figure out.

He is 19 this season FWIW. 

Thanks

12/30/2013 10:59 AM
If dherz is right, then you should inactivate ALL your prospects, except those signed VERY early in the season, because half, or even a third, of your top season of development is MUCH more ratings gain then you could possibly lose at the end of team control until about the age of 36. 

That said, my understanding of development is different from both dherz and damag.  I had always thought that nearly all development occurs in the first 4 seasons after signing, not after the onset of play. I'm sure damag is wrong-- players drafted out of college at 22 often develop fairly briskly until age 25 or even 26-- but I'm not confident that I'm right and dherz is wrong.
12/30/2013 11:07 AM
12 Next ▸
Signing IFA's late in the Year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.