Is there any way I am missing to get rid of a player and his big contract? He has a no trade clause and wont be traded to me since I have the worst record in the league. He's already passed through waivers too. If he gets released, is the other owner on the hook for the rest of his entire contract? Are there any other options for this?
1/21/2014 1:04 PM

The only way to get out of a bad contract is to trade it or home he gets claimed on waivers.

If the player is released, the previous owner is still on the hook for the entire contract minus the prorated minimum contract value ($327k) for the current season and all remaining seasons on the contract.

For that reason alone, there are zero valid reasons to release a player under contract.  Might as well stick him in AAA.

1/21/2014 1:08 PM
Does he have an option on his final year?  a couple of seasons ago in a world, I came back to an old team midseason for an abondened owner, it had actually passed hands 5 times since I left the first time around.  Anyhoo, there were some familar names on the roster that we resigned by the owner immediatly following my 1st runs, both had mutual options at the end of the season for significantly more money than they were worth.  They were both once occasional all star pitchers, I think both racked up 200 wins, etc...  I waived them, and when nobody claimed them, I sent them down to low A towards the end of the season to help that team with a minor league playoff push.  At the end of the season, both declined their options and retired.

I don't think a player will retire as long as they have a garunteed contract on hand for the following season, but going down to the minors triggered them to decline their option, then their age and rapidly declining skills sent them to retirement.

Other than that, you're pretty much stuck short of someone else picking up their deal.
1/21/2014 1:39 PM
Well he does have a player option, but I assume he will take it. I'll send him down to LowA anyway to test this scenario out. He's not worth anything at the ML level anyway
1/23/2014 12:43 PM
I'd want to figure out how to rid salaries too, because you're an alias of bjohara1 and yankeesfool, and suzgaz.  What a knob, got busted in two worlds.  Yep, and you can thank me for tracking your *** down into multiple worlds and site mailing the commish to start an investigation.  I'm glad you wasted all that money.  Also, super not smart using NC State Wolfpack stuff all across your profiles.  You know how easy it is to track all of that down and link it all together.  So dumb.  
3/12/2014 1:20 PM
Nice
3/12/2014 1:28 PM
Thanks barber for bringing this guy to our attention. It was hilarious reading this guys comments about not being a cheater. Only problem is he logged in with the wrong account.
3/12/2014 5:43 PM
Where? A guilty pleasure of mine, but I love reading the chats where they out themselves.
3/12/2014 6:01 PM
It's like people have no idea how to do a little digging.    http://mlbhometown.blogspot.com/

Anyway, aliases are generally pretty dumb.   Not just because they have to cheat to win but because there's no one to tell how you pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.   There is a little satisfaction in believing you're smarter than everyone on the internet but, if you can't tell anyone why you think that, what's the point?  Self high fives?

3/12/2014 7:47 PM

Funnier still, tswayne11 made a handful of bad trades with ericwoody in S1 of Steinbrenner.   I called "alias".   tswayne quit after 1 season and ericwoody was removed a couple seasons later for alias abuse.  

3/12/2014 8:02 PM
I saw that one, another world has the hilarious alias de-pantsing.
3/12/2014 8:16 PM

Hometown and Mike Squires are the two worlds.

3/12/2014 8:25 PM
He did out himself on our world in hometown but he covered it up pretty quickly. Little did he know that We had already submitted a ticket to the admins to investigate due to some real shady trades and waiver claims. The hilarious thing about it is that he still sucked despite his cheating. Such a d-bag
3/13/2014 5:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2014 8:02:00 PM (view original):

Funnier still, tswayne11 made a handful of bad trades with ericwoody in S1 of Steinbrenner.   I called "alias".   tswayne quit after 1 season and ericwoody was removed a couple seasons later for alias abuse.  

Youuu think everyone is an alias.
3/13/2014 7:24 PM
Aliases are dumb.
3/13/2014 7:42 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.