Important HBD poll! Please participate!!!!!!!!!!1 Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by deathinahole on 3/4/2014 9:36:00 AM (view original):
How about an option for "who cares but people that need to be coddled and stroked"?
The framework of the game is a outdated, obviously the aesthetic stuff like the list of ballparks is outdated but the statistical model itself that the engine runs off of is outdated esp when it comes to how the ratings relate to the statistics they produce- stuff like K/9 rates for pitchers, HR rates, etc.  Nowadays virtually every ML pitcher irl especially bullpen guys have K/9 rates better than 9.0, whereas on this game there's only a handful of guys in every world that touch 9.0.  That's just one example.  There are many more; the game does not mirror actual basebal statistics like it did in 2005.  The engine is drastically outdated and probably needs a major, total overhaul imo. 

But therein lies the problem with outdated software, the longer you wait the harder it becomes to update.  Yearly-updated games like Madden are popular because something is always different, but because they have tons of devs and because they're constantly updating, they sell more units and they have a bigger budget and it's easier for them.  WIS is the equivalent to running Madden 2004 and thinking it's still cool.  For WIS, there ought to be one BIG update 1x per year and a bunch of little updates sprinkled in to fix bugs.  But WIS simply doesn't have the developing capabilities for this branch of the game.  Fox sports does not care, they are gravy-training on WIS's business model that continues to churn out money without producing any new content. 

So it's not that we need to be coddled and stroked it's just basically a huge rip-off that we as customers don't get new updates even though we continue to pay new money into the system.  If we paid a one-time entry fee for a lifetime of gameplay (like for an old console game) then fine, don't ever update the software, that would be coddling and stroking.  However, imo the WIS business model is bs and rips its users off big time but its users are so invested / addicted that people don't quit, it's actually kind of sad.
3/4/2014 11:21 AM
People do quit though. Maybe less would if they updated once in awhile.
3/4/2014 11:26 AM
Do you really think that less people would quit if they updated more often?    What happened when Gridiron was overhauled?  Clutch Racing?

As for the comparison to Madden, I've made that same comparison.    Except I don't think the game changes very much from year to year.   I bought this year's version and the 20th Anniversary version.   5 years between.   IMO, the gameplay is almost identical.   There are a few more buzzers and whistles, the graphics are bit better but, overall, it's the same game. You call plays and you run them.    I think EA Sports has a much better marketing team and they've convinced the public that every season is so much better than the last.   They aren't.
3/4/2014 11:33 AM
To put it another way, some of us plan our teams several seasons into the future.   A quick check of my MG/Coop teams tells me that 24 of 50 are signed beyond this season.   Overhaul the game, make some of those contracts look stupid and where are we then?   I'm looking at a guy who I think is awesome and suddenly he's mediocre.   Which is fine except I've signed him for the next 4 seasons.   Multiply that by 10.   Why would I, someone who planned ahead in a dynasty game, trust the game enough to plan ahead again?
3/4/2014 11:38 AM
Maybe they're putting in a major update today, and thats why the PM cycle is late.     
3/4/2014 11:39 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
Important HBD poll! Please participate!!!!!!!!!!1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.