Underachieving or just plain bad? Topic

I look at other players within my world with comparable/worse batting ratings than mine, yet having much better offensive numbers. However, rather than just complain  I realize I may be missing something, so would people mind reviewing my lineup and telling me if evaluation of my players is higher than it should be?

VR

1. DH:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Al Vargas 
2. RF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Peter Poole
3. 1B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Eduardo Ordaz
4. 2B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Fred Price 
5. 3B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Sam Ainsworth
6. LF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ryan Garko
7. CF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Henderson Franco
8. C:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Cutter Schoeneweis
9. SS:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Adrian Taylor

VL
1. DH:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Al Vargas
2. LF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ryan Garko
3. 3B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Sam Ainsworth
4: 2B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Fred Price
5. 1B:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rob Bridges
6. RF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Peter Poole
7. CF:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Henderson Franco
8. C:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bo Jay
9: SS:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Cesar Tapies

3/7/2014 3:08 PM
Hi glick, I think you have good players I think they just might be in the wrong order, so I sitemailed you some ideas
3/7/2014 6:12 PM
1)  By and large, given your talent, you're playing the right guys in the right places, and lineup construction shouldn't matter to their individual numbers.  The only thing I object to is playing Tapies; I'd run Taylor into the ground here, since Tapies REALLY can't hit.
2)  But it's only an average lineup, especially against RHP.  I don't know what you expect of Franco offensively, but in ATL I'd expect an OPS around .700.  His glove can carry that but he's not a batting stud.  Poole is only going to OPS about .750 in RF, which isn't special for that position.  Only Price is really a significantly above-average hitter for his position.
3) Remember that ATL will suppress batting stats some.
3)  It's a small thing, but Jay is a pretty terrible answer to the question, "who should platoon with Schoeneweis?"  You should be able to find a FA that's almost as good with the bat and a much better glove.

3/8/2014 8:07 AM
I agree with Dedelman about most things, though I heartily disagree about Jay.  If I could get him for under $4mil, I would use him as a vL platoon in a second.  I do, however, think Garko is way overpaid.  If I was handing out contracts, I might give him a little bit less than Jay.  But generally, I really like this lineup.  I would guess that at the end of the season you're in the top half, and maybe the top third.  And it looks like you have good defense everywhere.  So as long as you have halfway decent pitching, you should win plenty of games.  Just let the boys play.  The numbers will come.
3/8/2014 11:15 PM
One thing, in terms of defense, I'd be tempted to move Price to 3B, Garko to 2B, Poole to LF, and Ainsworth to RF.  Ainsworth's underpowered for a 3B, but Price will be great there.  Price is great at 2B, but Garko will be average, and if you put Poole in LF and Ainsworth in RF, you'll get plus plays out of both corner spots.  If you make these changes, your 2B defense will decline, but I think your overall defense will improve.
3/8/2014 11:22 PM
"and lineup construction shouldn't matter to their individual numbers."

You're right that lineup construction doesn't matter to individual variance but it does matter to team variance which is usually the question - how can I score more runs?

3/9/2014 3:50 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 3/9/2014 3:50:00 PM (view original):

You're right that lineup construction doesn't matter to individual variance but it does matter to team variance which is usually the question - how can I score more runs?

I took the question, "I look at other players within my world with comparable/worse batting ratings than mine, yet having much better offensive numbers," to be a player level question.  It could have been a team question, in which case batting order would be somewhat relevant.
3/9/2014 9:08 PM
Oh. Well yeah it could have been that question then, I'm not sure. Ratings don't always guarantee production
3/9/2014 10:10 PM
Posted by dedelman on 3/8/2014 8:07:00 AM (view original):
1)  By and large, given your talent, you're playing the right guys in the right places, and lineup construction shouldn't matter to their individual numbers.  The only thing I object to is playing Tapies; I'd run Taylor into the ground here, since Tapies REALLY can't hit.
2)  But it's only an average lineup, especially against RHP.  I don't know what you expect of Franco offensively, but in ATL I'd expect an OPS around .700.  His glove can carry that but he's not a batting stud.  Poole is only going to OPS about .750 in RF, which isn't special for that position.  Only Price is really a significantly above-average hitter for his position.
3)  It's a small thing, but Jay is a pretty terrible answer to the question, "who should platoon with Schoeneweis?"  You should be able to find a FA that's almost as good with the bat and a much better glove.

2. I don't expect Franco to OPS more than .700, that's why I have him batting 7th in my lineups, what he's doing this season is beyond me, but yes I completely expect his offensive production to go down. Also why would playing in RF affect Poole's offensive production. He OPSed .866 last year in ATL, and averaged .800 in 2 seasons in STL, (granted not playing in RF in any of those years), so are u saying him playing RF changes his offense?

3. Jay is getting paid the minimum, but yes I realize I need to upgrade both catcher spots.

3/11/2014 11:00 AM
Posted by maxdeardorff on 3/8/2014 11:15:00 PM (view original):
I agree with Dedelman about most things, though I heartily disagree about Jay.  If I could get him for under $4mil, I would use him as a vL platoon in a second.  I do, however, think Garko is way overpaid.  If I was handing out contracts, I might give him a little bit less than Jay.  But generally, I really like this lineup.  I would guess that at the end of the season you're in the top half, and maybe the top third.  And it looks like you have good defense everywhere.  So as long as you have halfway decent pitching, you should win plenty of games.  Just let the boys play.  The numbers will come.
Garko is getting a big payment this year, but his contract drops to $8m the next 3 years and $7.5 (w/ mutual option) in the last year. I had extra cap space this year, so I figured I'd overpay him this year so that I could pay him less in later years. His high overall made his contract demands much higher than his production. so it was either release him or pay him. 

3/11/2014 11:02 AM
Posted by maxdeardorff on 3/8/2014 11:22:00 PM (view original):
One thing, in terms of defense, I'd be tempted to move Price to 3B, Garko to 2B, Poole to LF, and Ainsworth to RF.  Ainsworth's underpowered for a 3B, but Price will be great there.  Price is great at 2B, but Garko will be average, and if you put Poole in LF and Ainsworth in RF, you'll get plus plays out of both corner spots.  If you make these changes, your 2B defense will decline, but I think your overall defense will improve.
I keep reading that people really shouldn't be messing around with defense at SS/2b/CF. So isn't it better to have increased defense at 2b, rather than increasing the other spots?
3/11/2014 11:03 AM
Posted by dedelman on 3/9/2014 9:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pjfoster13 on 3/9/2014 3:50:00 PM (view original):

I took the question, "I look at other players within my world with comparable/worse batting ratings than mine, yet having much better offensive numbers," to be a player level question.  It could have been a team question, in which case batting order would be somewhat relevant.
It was about individual production, but I'd also be curious in what order you would set the lineup.
3/11/2014 11:10 AM
I'd consider bumping down Poole considerably lower in the order since he has a very poor batting eye. I'd also bat Price 2nd or 3rd rather than 4th to maximize the number of PA's he gets.

I always put my best hitter as high in the lineup as possible for no other reason then I want him batting as much as possible. 
3/11/2014 2:34 PM
Posted by bglick on 3/11/2014 11:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 3/8/2014 8:07:00 AM (view original):

2. I don't expect Franco to OPS more than .700, that's why I have him batting 7th in my lineups, what he's doing this season is beyond me, but yes I completely expect his offensive production to go down. Also why would playing in RF affect Poole's offensive production. He OPSed .866 last year in ATL, and averaged .800 in 2 seasons in STL, (granted not playing in RF in any of those years), so are u saying him playing RF changes his offense?

3. Jay is getting paid the minimum, but yes I realize I need to upgrade both catcher spots.

1) It's not that playing him in RF changes his offense; it's that the expectations for a RF are higher than for, say, an SS.  And I didn't look at this stats; he may be a guy that my projections completely miss on, based on that prior production.
2) I actually like Schoeneweis a lot against RHP, because he's a 90 PC who I think should be able to generate about a .650 OPS against RHP.  I'll take that level of offense for that level of defense.  Jay, on the other hand, looks to me like like about a .720 OPS with bad defense, which I don't like as much.

3/11/2014 2:35 PM
I just don't get it. 

Look at these comps and tell me what I'm doing wrong....

Ryan Garko vs.  Victor Sojo Garko better in EVERY batting category, and speed, but worse in avg/obp/slg (also Bryan Kraemer)
 Al Vargas vs.  Vin Lennon, yes I get that Lennon will have a higher slg, but Vargas should have a higher avg/obp  because of his significantly better contact right?

Garko in particular bothers me.

These are his RH splits (AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS)

S25: .233/.314/.435/.749
S26: .238/.309/.390/.699
S27: .228/.304/.373/.676
S28: .189/.262/.346/.609
S29: .229/.279/.313/.592
Career: .221/.294/.376/.671

Granted those don't show his HBP (when doing splits, it won't HBP by RH vs LH). He has been hit by pitches 18,17,21,22,10 (S25-S29, respectively) times, multiply that by 67% (roughly the amount of RH pitchers, and then added to his OBP), I get 

S25: .233/.336/.435/.771
S26: .238/.327/.390/.718
S27: .228/.324/.373/.697
S28: .189/.286/.346/.632
S29: .229/.311/.313/.623
Career: .221/.316/.376/.693

Which is worse than this guys' total stats Oleg Durham. I mean there are SS with better numbers than those. I know his split is on the weak side, but I thought you could compensate with contact/power/speed/eye (which he has). 

3/13/2014 2:35 PM
12 Next ▸
Underachieving or just plain bad? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.