Defensive Position Rankings Topic

Outside of SS and C, how do you rank the rest of the positions defensively.  If CF more important than 2b.  Here is how i think they should go, but please correct me where i am wrong (yes, i assume i am wrong)

1.SS
2. CF
3. 2B
4. 3B
5. LF
6. RF
7. 1B

Thanks,
4/16/2014 12:33 PM
2B gets more chances, a failed chance in CF results in more bases.    They're pretty comparable.

I'd probably swap 1B and RF.    You can rack up a ton of plus plays with a 60ish range 1B.   It's impossible to rack more than a dozen in RF unless you've got a guy who would be much better served playing another position.
4/16/2014 1:14 PM
Thanks Mike
4/16/2014 1:17 PM
the aggregate fielding-rating demands of 3B are slightly ahead of 2B
4/16/2014 2:51 PM
Average 2B will get about 5 chances(and be involved in double plays), 3B will get about 3 chances and the CF will get about 2.5.
4/16/2014 2:58 PM
How bad will a C do in RF over the course of a season? Have an absolute slugger that has 32 PC, 4 RA and 19 GL. He's clearly a DH and I'm in the NL, but his bat is that good. Will it kill me to put him out there? I know those kinds of guys really hurt you at 1B.
4/16/2014 5:20 PM
Bumped a thread for you.
4/16/2014 5:24 PM
Was looking for that, thanks.
4/16/2014 5:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by clutch19 on 4/17/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):
When I do positional adjustments for Coop and MG, I come up with
                    Coop s29          MG s30
1. SS               13.78               15.97
2. C                  9.80                10.15     
3. CF                3.89                 3.73             
4. 3B               -0.15                -0.40
5. 2B               -1.44                -2.80
6. LF                -6.47               -7.30
7. RF               -7.30               -7.33
8. 1B               -12.12              -12.02 

(No DH b/c I'm NL based in both worlds.)

I dont know what this means - please explain
4/17/2014 11:01 PM
Basically in world Coop, if a league average SS and a league average 1B played the same number of innings, the SS would be worth 25.9 more runs since it is a harder position to be average at.

Here's how I got there.
1.) I have formulas for defensive runs saved at each position. (These do differ by world.)
2.) I find the average fielding ratings at each position for the season. 
3.) I use the average fielding ratings and formulas to find defensive runs saved. (i.e. how would the average SS perform at 1B, 2B, etc.)
4.) Totaling the aforementioned numbers, along with some division and normalization, gets you positional adjustments.

These are a staple of Wins Above Replacement calculations. You can google "WAR positional adjustments" for some explanations from Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference. 

4/17/2014 11:44 PM
I suspect I'm unusual in this opinion, but I think catcher is just as important as SS.  It can take some digging through extended stats to appreciate the kind of impact good and bad catchers can have on the game, but it's real.  

Consider: aside from the pitcher, what defensive player is immediately involved in every single at bat?  Catcher.  Every play.  (Every pitch— although developers have been explicit that the engine does not simulate individual pitches, just at bats.)  

Here's an extreme example:   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dennys Franco

Put this guy on the field, and the whole game changes.  It's beautiful.  Only catchers can have that kind of impact.  

Right... putting my soap box away.  
4/22/2014 10:04 PM
Posted by clutch19 on 4/17/2014 11:44:00 PM (view original):
Basically in world Coop, if a league average SS and a league average 1B played the same number of innings, the SS would be worth 25.9 more runs since it is a harder position to be average at.

Here's how I got there.
1.) I have formulas for defensive runs saved at each position. (These do differ by world.)
3.) I use the average fielding ratings and formulas to find defensive runs saved. (i.e. how would the average SS perform at 1B, 2B, etc.)
4.) Totaling the aforementioned numbers, along with some division and normalization, gets you positional adjustments.

These are a staple of Wins Above Replacement calculations. You can google "WAR positional adjustments" for some explanations from Fangraphs and Baseball-Reference. 

Just out of curiosity...how long does this whole process take ?  
4/22/2014 11:03 PM
Posted by zzookeepp on 4/22/2014 10:04:00 PM (view original):
I suspect I'm unusual in this opinion, but I think catcher is just as important as SS.  It can take some digging through extended stats to appreciate the kind of impact good and bad catchers can have on the game, but it's real.  

Consider: aside from the pitcher, what defensive player is immediately involved in every single at bat?  Catcher.  Every play.  (Every pitch— although developers have been explicit that the engine does not simulate individual pitches, just at bats.)  

Here's an extreme example:   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dennys Franco

Put this guy on the field, and the whole game changes.  It's beautiful.  Only catchers can have that kind of impact.  

Right... putting my soap box away.  
C are a different species.   You can't, or I can't, put them in the same scale as the rest.
4/22/2014 11:09 PM
Posted by bruinsfan911 on 4/22/2014 11:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by clutch19 on 4/17/2014 11:44:00 PM (view original):

Here's how I got there.

Just out of curiosity...how long does this whole process take ?  
Hours to develop, but 30 minutes or so to update.
4/23/2014 6:00 PM
12 Next ▸
Defensive Position Rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.