Keep him or let him go? Topic

With only a few days left in the season, 2 time MVP <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3475598" target="_blank">Jesse Friedrich</a> tore his ACL. He will miss all of next season. He is 30. While he lost quite a bit of mobility at 1B( NL team, no DH option), he did not lose anything offensively(well, speed and BR, but that was never good anyway). His contract is up and I could let him go. Or, he's asking for a 3 yr @ $6M per. Basically I'd be paying $6M for nothing next season. His replacement for the next season will be <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5915659" target="_blank">Melvin Howington</a>.

So, there are a couple of questions. How much in ratings will he lose at his age with a year of inactivity? Also, is it worth it to invest $18M for basically 2 seasons(at which point he will be 32/33 coming off a full year off), since the $6M next season would be wasted?

Would you resign him or let him go?

4/19/2014 10:33 AM
I'd keep him, having him on the 60 day dl can help keep his ratings intact (or improve depending on your medical budget)
4/19/2014 11:40 AM
Keep him no question. Ask yourself what type of contract he would get if you let him go. There would be a bidding war for him, even with the missing season.
4/19/2014 6:45 PM
Use your replacement guy in the missing season then either send him down or enjoy the depth.
4/19/2014 7:34 PM
Thanks for helping me make up my mind.
4/20/2014 3:25 PM
his best days are behind him imo, don't expect 60 homers when he gets back. imo you could effectively platoon in his absence and get at least 35 HR 110 RBI out of the position and save yourself the money for something else that you need
4/21/2014 1:43 PM
100% bring him back.
4/21/2014 2:32 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 4/21/2014 1:43:00 PM (view original):
his best days are behind him imo, don't expect 60 homers when he gets back. imo you could effectively platoon in his absence and get at least 35 HR 110 RBI out of the position and save yourself the money for something else that you need
Did his hitting ratings go down?
4/21/2014 2:32 PM
No, his hitting ratings are the same. I would expect some dropoff just due to the missed season and advancing age when he returns, but he should still be one of the better hitters in the league. Since it's an NL team, I'll just have to put up with a bit of a defensive liability at 1B. He also was only asking $4.9M per so that's a savings over the $6.5 he was getting in his last contract.
4/25/2014 4:23 PM
Now the season is over and I have a decision to make for next year. <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=3475598" target="_blank">Jesse Friedrich</a> recovered from his injury and played a few games at the end of the season. His D(never great) suffered somewhat from the injury, but his hitting ratings remain top notch. His replacement, <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5915659" target="_blank">Melvin Howington</a>, had a very good rookie campaign and got some consideration for ROY. I'm an NL team so cannot DH either, and neither is capable of any position but 1B. So, should I keep both on my roster next season? I can do it and be covered adequately defensively, but then I would more or less have to platoon them. Howington has decent power (21 HR) and speed(22 SB, 16 CS) and 99 HE. Friedrich is a 2 time MVP with tremendous power, but his HE took a hit with the injury(now 58). I could keep both, trade 1, or send Howington back to AAA as insurance against a Friedrich injury. Hate to do the last, since Howington's rating would prob take a hit with a emotion. What would you do?
8/5/2014 1:56 PM
Friedrich is still a better player, so I'd play him if you have both with Howington on the bench.  I would certainly float Friedrich's name out there, if you can get a player at a position of need next year, maybe it's worth it.  Friedrich's power ratings will likely begin to fall over the next few seasons.

That said, I wouldn't trade him for nothing - get fair value for him.  And if you can't, that's fine, play him.
8/5/2014 2:44 PM
I would try and trade him and if I were an AL team in your league I would give a lot for him.
8/5/2014 3:00 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 8/5/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Friedrich is still a better player, so I'd play him if you have both with Howington on the bench.  I would certainly float Friedrich's name out there, if you can get a player at a position of need next year, maybe it's worth it.  Friedrich's power ratings will likely begin to fall over the next few seasons.

That said, I wouldn't trade him for nothing - get fair value for him.  And if you can't, that's fine, play him.
+1, but I'd be quick to move Friedrich if I got a good player back.  Howington is basically as good a player against RHP as Frierich is, and that's before Friedrich's power drops next season. 

If you do move Friedrich, it may be worth it to find a platoon partner for Howington.
8/5/2014 3:03 PM
Keep him or let him go? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.