Damn, 99 Public world openings Topic

These discussions always circles back to updates/advertising.   New owners wouldn't know there weren't any updates.   In a short and very brief discussion, it seems an internet search engine brought several of us here.   Anyway...

1.  Updates:  I agree that there could be a few tweaks but, overall, the engine works as intended.   Most of the updates could be cosmetic.  I think that would make a lot of the old users happy, if only because they would think "They do care about us!!!", but I'm not sure that's going to draw in a bunch of new people.

2.  Advertising:   Yeah, I'd like to see some but I'm not sure that's bringing people in either.   People who actually want to play a sim baseball game are quite familiar with the internet.   And that's probably how they'll find this site.
5/27/2014 2:22 PM
I feel the game is to slow. It takes three - four years to develop a team. In real time with how long it takes a season and roll over delays that could take a year. Players now can go to a daily site enter a one day fantasy team and win money.
5/28/2014 9:56 AM
The time it takes to build a team can't be fixed.    But, since every team has the same resources(185m budget), I think you can win quicker than that.   But it does take 4 seasons to build a "franchise".    That's about how long it takes a prospect to develop. 
5/28/2014 10:00 AM
I know the time commitment could turn some people off, but I don't think it would be possible to do it any faster. Three games a day is already kind of a lot. I guess they could do 4 or 5, but it would be kind of tough to check in that many times per day.

Honestly, I think this game moves at the perfect speed right now. But then, I've never been one for fast moving video games. I've always preferred Sid Meyer's Civilization to all those first person shooters the kids are playing these days.
5/28/2014 12:03 PM
I've said many, many times that HBD isn't for everyone.   And that I don't think there's some untapped potential user base out there looking for a game like HBD.    Anyone who is interested in "simulated baseball" will use the internet.   And, if you put "simulated baseball" into a search engine, WhatifSports is right there.
5/28/2014 12:07 PM
I think you're right to an extent on that thought Mike, but I think there is a large base of sports fans that may become interested in the site if they were introduced to it, but wouldn't go out looking for this site or any other site that offers "simmulated baseball".

For instance, I first heard about this site thru Lance McCallister's radio show (username shotgun if he still plays)  I was attending the same school that the original developer had graduated from, so I had that connection and give it a look so in its early days.  I spent a little bit of time messing around, kind of forgot about it, but heard Lance keep talking about it on his radio show.  Crum in HD was about to enter its 3rd season, I signed up for a team, kind of forgot about it again until I got an email late one afternoon that recruiting was starting up.  I started that night and haven't looked back (though i've since dropped HD and onl do HBD now).  If not for Lance, I probably never would have found this site.

If WIS were to use its Foxsports radio hosts as mouth pieces, get "local" hosts around the county involved, pimp it on their NFL morning shows w/ game predictions, etc.. it would go a long way.  Obviously he's not going to do it now, and I'm not sure if he even plays, but I've read that Bill Simmons plays(ed?) a lot of sim league baseball, would even mention it in his blog or something from time to time.  That is a fairly large stage right there that didn't get tapped into.  That was before the sale to fox, but they could do it thru multiple guys.  Offer them up free teams, make sure they're in good worlds, give them a couple of months to figure it out, if they like it, all they ask for in return is positive pub on their radio show.  Get 25-50 radio shows doing the local drive time around the country mentioning WIS a few times a week and you'd see a huge increase in people coming in to check out the site.  Lance only talked about the site a few times a week, and only briefly for the most part (though he did have Tariq on the show for an extended interview a few times, ie 5-10 minutes) and I'm guessing he drove a sizable chunk of his Cincy are radio following to try out this site.  I don't believe Lance ever did it for anything more than the enjoyment of the game and that it was based in Cincy so he had a local connection.
5/28/2014 5:05 PM
I think I asked this in another thread:   How did you find the site?   You've answered.   How many people have you told about the site and now they're playing?   I estimate I've told about 20 people.   All sports fans.   No WifS users. 
5/28/2014 7:09 PM
When I was a boy, every single boy loved and played sports, and followed the major leagues religiously. Every sport. We were obsessed with sports. One time, one of the teachers at school brought in an APBA game for anyone to play. Out of maybe two hundred kids, two took him up on it - me and one other dude.

Today, just about every guy I know follows sports. But only about ten percent of them play fantasy football/baseball/hockey. The ones who don't think it's a stupid waste of time, and the guys I know who don't even follow sports think we're retards.

Of all the guys I know who play fantasy ball, no one else I know personally plays sims. A few tried and found it meaningless. One even referred to it as "Dungeons and Dragons."

So now that I've established that I am what I think is about a thousandth of a percentile... You think I'd TELL anyone I play imaginary sports games with imaginary PLAYERS?

5/28/2014 7:13 PM
I found HBD thru what I still think was a good idea. I won the 1st (and only) Fox Fantasy BB League I played in. The reward was 1 free season of HBD. I used it and have blown about 2 grand here since. There are a lot of players out there all ready in various Fox fantasy sports, including BB.
5/29/2014 8:16 AM
Not what I'd call "prominently displayed" but it is there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy

If I had to guess, I'd say the money makers are easy to find, the rest not so much. 
5/29/2014 8:27 AM
Posted by jeff2106 on 5/23/2014 9:18:00 PM (view original):
Why not lower the price? Gridiron dynasty is $10.95. If your taking over a bad team it takes 3-4 seasons to get things fixed.
I agree, hbd is wayy too expensive, almost laughably so. If every season cost $5 u could be in five times as many leagues. also, it might make sense to institute gradual billing where seasons get progressively less expensive. IOW, reward veteran ownership. Discourages noobs from ruining teams all over the place, also makes aliases much less cost-effective
5/29/2014 11:55 AM
It's about a quarter a day.    Not to be an ******* but, if a quarter a day is cost -restrictive to you, playing silly internet games shouldn't be on your to-do list.
5/29/2014 12:09 PM
32 teams per league.

WS finalists get a free team.
League finalists get $12.
Then eight $4 credits for the other playoff teams.
Then eight $4 credits for the last place team in each division.
Then 6 $1 credits for 2nd in division
Then a $5 credit for being in the league 5 seasons.
Then a $10 credit for being in the league 10 seasons.

Over ten seasons (if everyone stays 10 seasons), you are discounting the total price of the whole league over 10 seasons by 23%, this in essence making this $19.20 per player per season. Per 3 month season. WTF. You probably blow $19.20 at the burger joint and don't even blink.
5/29/2014 12:33 PM

As for the newb, the newb is in at $14.95. So, the newb is paying less than the veteran.

5/29/2014 12:35 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 5/29/2014 12:33:00 PM (view original):
32 teams per league.

WS finalists get a free team.
League finalists get $12.
Then eight $4 credits for the other playoff teams.
Then eight $4 credits for the last place team in each division.
Then 6 $1 credits for 2nd in division
Then a $5 credit for being in the league 5 seasons.
Then a $10 credit for being in the league 10 seasons.

Over ten seasons (if everyone stays 10 seasons), you are discounting the total price of the whole league over 10 seasons by 23%, this in essence making this $19.20 per player per season. Per 3 month season. WTF. You probably blow $19.20 at the burger joint and don't even blink.
And that is assuming you buy in single season increments.   Bulk is cheaper.
5/29/2014 1:48 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Damn, 99 Public world openings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.