Has anyone ever had any success doing this? Topic

I wondered if it was possible to sustain success without any farm system basically. Just put everything way down in budgeting except for Training and Medical and spend like $140+ million on player payroll. Ive never seen anyone successfully do anything like that. Has anyone else?
6/1/2014 10:47 AM
you have to keep a minimum of 6 in both prospects and coaching, so if you didn decrease train/med, the most you could have is 133MIL, and tons of owners do this, some even go less on train/med and increase player payroll.  I have never seen them forego it all, giving you 172MIL to play with, now that would be interesting.
6/1/2014 11:42 AM
Great example:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Salem Slugs Franchise Profile

Many, many 100+ win seasons.  13 playoff appearances in first 14 seasons.
6/1/2014 12:06 PM
It happens in the world I'm in by a few different owners. Be warned, I will immediately lose all respect for you like I have them. In contrast, I greatly admire the people that are successful at every level and don't have to resort to what you're suggesting.
6/1/2014 9:54 PM
One thing we had happen in my world, more than a few owners started just not signing their draft classes. They'd fill up their minors with any and every minor league free agent laying around. 34 year old players in rookie ball. Those players retire because they're not bring progressed, we got to a point where there wasn't a single pitcher left on the scrap heap and one owner was asking if we could send a ticket to have Admin generate some more players. Pretty lowlife stuff, but some just refuse to tend their minors.
6/1/2014 11:34 PM
I usually run a high payroll. I do sign my draft picks and int players to help with the minor leagues. As long as you fill you minors and do not run 0's out there all day long id prefer a guy run a high payroll then a tanker. Why compete for the top pick when you can compete for the w/s every season with out it.
6/4/2014 4:11 PM
On another note,what do you think of this? I cut my coaching budget to $7 mil(including a transfer) and am considering cutting it to 6 next season. Also cut my HS and IFA budget to 2 and plan to go 0 next season when I can. Hired all minimum wage guys(with the best,but not good,ratings). I did this on the suggestion of my mentor. I was then able to raise my prospect budget to 15 and carry a payroll of 101. I,too,have signed a few free agents who aren't young and will never reach the majors.Kept college,advance,training and medical at 14
7/3/2014 11:27 PM
If you've done all that, what's the rationale for keeping advance at 14?
7/4/2014 12:43 AM
i feel like advance is something they should let you set to whatever amount you want any season, so like you could go from 0 to 20 and back if you wanted
7/4/2014 2:42 AM
So you could save all the young player projections and zip back to zero the next season?
7/4/2014 7:00 AM
Posted by damag on 7/4/2014 12:43:00 AM (view original):
If you've done all that, what's the rationale for keeping advance at 14?
Correct me if I'm wrong which isn't at all unlikely. Doesn't advance scouting have to do with the accuracy of projections? What does that have to do with coaching?
7/5/2014 4:17 AM
It makes much easier to make good deals for your program if you know perfect projections. I've done zero advanced scouting for a long time. And I feel it gives me a great advantage in how I spend my money. A marginal disadvantage in trading. But if I could go 0-20 I would probably do it every three years to keep tabs on how good players could be and find out if they're undervalued.
7/5/2014 5:30 PM
Has anyone ever had any success doing this? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.