signing players to Rookie Topic

I just wanted to vent that my biggest pet peeve about the actual in-league functionality is that simmy automatically assigns all prospects to Rookie when they are signed after the draft.  I have noticed that most users are lazy and don't notice / don't care that coaches in Rookie ball deflate the potential of top prospects and poison the overall league player pool.  I wish that the programming trigger would get modified to define age / ratings ranges that would auto-assign good prospects to where they belong.  that is all-
6/4/2014 12:21 PM
I would NOT want simmy automatically assigning signed draft picks anywhere other than Rookie.  If simmy decided that High A was the best place to assign somebody, and you would rather have him in Low A, would you want the risk of a demotion penalty in order to rectify simmy's decision?

If you want a particular prospect somewhere other than Rookie, you can choose to promote him to whatever level you choose.

I think you're greatly over-exaggerating the "harm" that the current process entails ("deflate the potential" and "poison the overall league player pool"), especially when it's entirely within your control to immediately take whatever action you feel is best for your prospects.

6/4/2014 12:37 PM
Yeah let's give simmy MORE control over what WE as users already have control over. SIM TEAMS! SIM TEAMS! SIM TEAMS!
6/4/2014 12:44 PM
First, let's examine why it's done.    It's simply filling out a level that does not have the required number of players on the roster.
Second, let's not pretend that those two development cycles a player gets in his first season is make or break for his future as a BL player.
Finally, I believe the problem you have is not with the programming but with the owners in your world.   Don't ask the sim to fix "lazy" owners.
6/4/2014 1:00 PM
if this is your biggest pet peeve, then you're just getting started.
6/4/2014 2:38 PM
The first thing I do after players sign is to assign them to the appropriate team.  I would unhappy with simmy assigning players to different levels as they saw fit.
6/4/2014 2:40 PM
Another point, by auto assigning them to RL, the sim at least assures they'll get some playing time, should the owner not be checking in on his teams on a regular basis.

IMO that's healthier for the player pool. And like Mike said, if it's a coaching problem, it's up to the owners to fix it. In the world I play in, there is competition for the top coaches at Rookie level.

6/4/2014 2:53 PM

(...in restrospect, my rant was passive-aggressively directed at the owners in that world, indeed...)

6/4/2014 5:38 PM
Good lad. Get in there and rip them a new one.
6/4/2014 5:46 PM
Rookie league should ban anyone over 22, anyone drafted in the first round, and anyone whose overall is greater than 50. 
6/4/2014 5:56 PM

Actual rookie league teams disagree.
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=405

Research, then post.

6/5/2014 8:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reese_McGuire

14th overall pick in 2013. Playing in the Rookie league.
6/5/2014 8:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Dozier

8th overall pick. Playing in the Rookie league.

and so on, and so on.
6/5/2014 8:23 AM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 6/4/2014 5:56:00 PM (view original):
Rookie league should ban anyone over 22, anyone drafted in the first round, and anyone whose overall is greater than 50. 
What happens when the 1st round pick is assigned to low A, but with a full low A roster, he's inactive and never plays?
6/5/2014 9:19 AM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 6/4/2014 5:56:00 PM (view original):
Some of my 1st rounders that are taken late and are taken with 0/0 scouting hardly merit being put anywhere but in rookie league. I also may have older players that haven't retired who were never intended to be anything but rookie cannon fodder that I don't want to promote and pay more salary to and who don't need to be released only to sign another younger player who is just as bad.

I would prefer to have the freedom to run my teams as I see fit. Not have more bad rules. If this is what you want in a league then join a private world that you can find a large majority that will play along with this. Count me out though.

6/5/2014 9:39 AM
12 Next ▸
signing players to Rookie Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.