Setting a Budget - please advise Topic

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/FranchiseProfile.aspx?fid=5675

going into my 2nd season of running my pathetic Syracuse team in Josh Gibson (49-113)
bungled my budget early and ran out of dough for signing Prospects (was able to swing a couple of trades to free up some $'s)

thought is set my budget this season, with an eye toward the following season 

71     18     10     10     16     16     10     20     12

bump as much as I can to Prospect Payroll/Training/scouting -- have the #3 pick overall

and sign maybe 1 good SP and stop gap 2B/C

any thoughts 

7/9/2014 11:33 AM
You need to max out your college and high school scouting. It's great to try for an international prospect, but even if you budge. A ton of money for that, it's no guarantee. The third pick in the draft, on the othe hand, is an excellent way to get a top prospect. If you can go higher than 10/10 do so.

Is 10/10 what you had last year? If so, go 14/14.

If you're looking for stopgap players, you can find them at the end of free agency for $2 million apiece or even less. With the 3rd spot on the waiver wire, you're also in a position to get a bargain that way.
7/9/2014 12:54 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 7/9/2014 12:54:00 PM (view original):
You need to max out your college and high school scouting. It's great to try for an international prospect, but even if you budge. A ton of money for that, it's no guarantee. The third pick in the draft, on the othe hand, is an excellent way to get a top prospect. If you can go higher than 10/10 do so.

Is 10/10 what you had last year? If so, go 14/14.

If you're looking for stopgap players, you can find them at the end of free agency for $2 million apiece or even less. With the 3rd spot on the waiver wire, you're also in a position to get a bargain that way.
so in my position it's better to hold off on going after FA's and go bargain basement shopping.

seems like there are usually older FA's that are looking for 1Yr contracts -- hmmm.

going to have to reign in my impatience.
7/9/2014 1:17 PM
I'm not saying dont go after good free agents. I was just under the impression you didn't think your team would win this season, and I was suggesting that as a way to save money.

If you think you can win this year, go for it. Sign the big pitcher. But don't skimp on the draft with such a high pick.
7/9/2014 7:35 PM
no -- this team is going to suck
1) newer to HBD
2) the Minors were pretty barren

going to keep stock piling -- and look at a couple of Mid Range Starters to lock up for 3 seasons until the talent comes of age. and maybe a cheap power bat.

7/10/2014 12:46 AM
also - I am from Kansas City, so stockpiling talent and not developing correctly may be what happens  :)
7/10/2014 12:47 AM
Don't forget about the rule V draft. With the 3rd pick, you should be able to land at least a bench player.
7/10/2014 6:33 AM
Looks like the typical rebuild plan for that world is to lose 100+ games for 5 seasons and then try to win... So I suggest that if you want to have sustained sucess you should follow that route..  Example: this team has won 4 out of the last 5 WS...
7/10/2014 3:21 PM
...don't listen to anything that will-the-tanker says...
7/10/2014 10:44 PM
jpfoster, my cyber stalker!!
7/10/2014 11:07 PM
I am in the same boat, but with a few twists. I walked into a good team my very first season. The hitting is young, pitching is aging. The team won 100 games 2 seasons in a row, but failed to make it to the finals. I know my budget settings are limited my first season. I was wondering what or when would be a good time to start getting younger pitchers in. The minor leagues do not have any up and coming  good young pitchers. I am not sure how much longer the pitching will succeed being up there in age. I have the 30th pick, so the draft is not a major issue. I have no type A free agents leaving, so I am not getting any extra potential picks....any advice would be great!

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/FranchiseProfile.aspx?fid=1121
7/11/2014 7:28 AM
Nobody NEEDS to lose 100 games for 5 straight years. It is entirely possible to have a playoff contender in a few seasons.
7/11/2014 1:28 PM
7/11/2014 1:32 PM
there's tanking and there's general incompetance (where I'm starting at now) -- makes more sense to me to try and figure out what good talent is by devolping it and see what works and what does not that way

but what do I know -- I suck at this right now
7/11/2014 2:04 PM
I'm not saying you're tanking.   It just sounds like you're accepting losing for an extended period of time.    I had a pretty good run in Mantle.   Won a couple of WS over 3 seasons while being "in the mix" for 9 of my first 11 seasons.   But we got old and expensive.   Most of the players had outlived their value.   So I had to accept a down season or two.   Lost 97.  Probably on the verge of losing another 90+ this season.   But I signed a max money guy who'll be there when I can get there.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Raul Gonzalez   I've got 56m committed next season and I hold some options that can make it 40m(half of which is committed to Gonzalez).   Now I could have putzed around for 4-5 seasons with 90+ losses and there really shouldn't have been much to say given the success I'd had.   I could claim "rebuilding during a down period" and most would accept that.   But any idiot can collect top 3 picks, 20m IFA and contend after a "down period".     But, if an idiot can do it, is it any sort of accomplishment or challenge?   
7/11/2014 2:57 PM
12 Next ▸
Setting a Budget - please advise Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.