Tanking regulation Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 7/24/2014 10:49:00 PM (view original):
75 wins won't get you in the playoffs.   85 might.

Ever saw an 82 win team win the WS?
We just had an 83 team win the WS in Satchel Paige. It was very fluky though, and he was only in the playoffs because his division was pretty bad. Very rare.

And adding to your point about parity Mike, that same season SP had exactly 0 teams with 100 wins, and 1 team with 100 losses (and that was actually an abandoned team that we had to get a replacement owner midseason, I don't think I count that one, the team went 62-100). I found that last season to be the most fun. The majority of the teams in the league had some kind of shot at the playoffs and the Wild Card etc. #1 seed in the NL had 94 wins, #1 seed in the AL had 96. We have a MWR 55/120/185.
7/25/2014 12:44 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/25/2014 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by stews_blues on 7/25/2014 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/24/2014 10:49:00 PM (view original):
75 wins won't get you in the playoffs.   85 might.

Ever saw an 82 win team win the WS?
In the world I play in you better have 95+ wins to make the play offs. (One of our wild card teams had 108 wins.) 

I think the reason for the spread between the top teams and bottom teams is the lack a reason to win if you are in the middle of the pack as well as the teams that are "rebuilding their franchise". 

Given the tiny amount of revenue HBD provides Fox Sports I also realize that fundemental fixes (rebuild) to the quirks in HBD (designed by baseball fans that would never have thought about tanking) is just not going to happen, so we are stuck with the work arounds.
Without looking, I can guarantee you have a shitload of "rebuilding" teams.    My world's last playoff:

Coop: 2x82 wins teams, 1x83, 4x85-87
MG: 1x81, 3x85-86
Mantle:  1x82, 1x86

MG had two 100+ win teams
Mantle and Coop had 1 each

MG and Coop have 4 season MWR of 55/125/195/280
Mantle is 55/120/185/260

So, what have we learned today?
The number of 100+ lost teams in my world (public) going backwards the last 5 seasons are 6,5,4,4,5.  Last year was by far the worst. 

What have we learned?  Private leagues that can kick noncompetitve managers and select competitive ones will typically be more competitive. 

I guess I need to go shopping for a new league even though I have become attached to my team. 
7/25/2014 2:20 PM

Obviously, 82 wasn't picked out of thin air.  Coop's WS winner won 82. 

As for the parity point, yeah, having meaningful games as the season winds down is more fun for everyone.   If 85 wins will get you in, and you have a 75 win team, why not try to make an improvement or two as opposed to tearing the whole thing down?

My favorite season is MG S8.  I thought I built a good team but didn't break .500 until game 130 or so.  Came down to the last series, two games out of the WC2 and needing a sweep.   We got the sweep, won the first round and then got shitkicked.    But fighting for the last spot over the last 30+ games was more fun than any of the WS I won.   Shoving your *** in the air and saying "Take me now but watch out in three seasons because I'll be loaded with #1 picks" is boring.

7/25/2014 2:41 PM
stew, everyone enjoys the game the way they enjoy the game.   If needing 95 wins to even be in the playoff picture doesn't bother you, there's no reason to leave the world.   But I, and I assume the owners in my worlds, enjoy the competition.   The no guarantee that you'll compete even if you think you built a strong team aspect of the game.   And, as an added bonus, all three roll on the first day.   With waiting lists. 
7/25/2014 2:47 PM

My world rolls fairly quickly, but I will have to say one of my favorite things to do is to have a team that is about 500 going up against the division leader in the last 30 games trying to lock it up and maximizing my team to a fine point to and going 2-3 or 3-4 in the series and making him sweat.  I get board with having 75 wins and finishing 31 games out of first or the season I finished with 94 wins and still was 16 games back.  Like I said earlier what is the difference finishing 3 with 85 wins or 4 with 75.  I guess it is nice to win games so easily but it would be nice to have to sweat out a few once in awhile.

7/25/2014 3:25 PM

Like I said, 85 gets you in the playoffs, 75 doesn't.

7/25/2014 3:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/25/2014 3:30:00 PM (view original):

Like I said, 85 gets you in the playoffs, 75 doesn't.

That is what is so sad about the world I am in.  85 wins and you still finish 20 games back. 
7/25/2014 4:29 PM
I have been in a few worlds whose Commissioners didn't kick people out for tanking, and with each one I left after one season. It's boring.
7/27/2014 12:18 PM
Well it continued even after the warning and I have been battling support for nearly 2 weeks. I have given them plenty of examples but they hide behind the fact that his record or expected win percentage didn't meet the threshold for what they call tanking. I am trying and trying even pointing out that when they initially warned him his record and win percentage were above the mark so we will see what happens. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

8/28/2014 6:52 PM
Posted by sportsboy010 on 8/28/2014 6:52:00 PM (view original):
Well it continued even after the warning and I have been battling support for nearly 2 weeks. I have given them plenty of examples but they hide behind the fact that his record or expected win percentage didn't meet the threshold for what they call tanking. I am trying and trying even pointing out that when they initially warned him his record and win percentage were above the mark so we will see what happens. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Well if they warned him and his record improved then the warning had the desired effect. He must have met the MWR as I see 4 others with worse records in your world and no stink being made on them.
Keep him and all others to the MWR in the future and move on is my suggestion. I'm not sticking up for him and what he tried to pull but the warning worked.

8/29/2014 10:00 AM
Looks like he won 64 games.   Good luck booting him for that.
8/29/2014 2:21 PM
It was the fact that he was still benching his good big leaguers and was playing horseshit minor leaguers in their place. The other owners weren't doing what he was doing. They were playing their best big league lineups and were just losing. He was playing his worst big league lineup including players out of position...
8/29/2014 4:47 PM
I'll be honest.  When I'm out of the race and I'm not playing against anyone who is competing for a playoff spot, I bench anyone who is signed beyond the current season.   I do it after roster expansion.   I'm not tanking but I don't want a 237 game injury during game 148.   To me, that's just common sense. 
8/29/2014 5:05 PM
I do understand that but do you play someone in CF with defensive ratings of 64, 59, 45, 52 while playing someone in LF with defensive ratings of 93, 87, 93, 89? Neither can hit but here are the defensive ratings. That's just 2 of the examples... The guy he had in CF had offensive ratings of 49, 39, 40, 67, 60. With that defense and offense combo he should never sniff the big leagues.
8/30/2014 2:06 AM

No, I don't. 

8/30/2014 7:26 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Tanking regulation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.