Can some one tell me if there is a good guide for newbies.

I understand how everything works and the process but need help understanding what specific ratings I should look at for each position and such.

Thanks in advance
7/27/2014 7:51 PM
Look at the previous season's good players(or single season record holders) and use that as a basic guide for what works in your world.
7/27/2014 7:56 PM
Yes I've been trying to do that but still confused.

For instance one top player may have contact quite a bit higher than others but another might have eye higher. So it seems everytime I find a pattern something pops up that throws me off again.

Thanks though
7/27/2014 8:13 PM
That's kind of why I suggested it.    All the ratings work in conjunction with one another.    There is no "most important" rating. 

If I had to pick one, it's the VR for both hitters and pitchers.  65%, more or less, will be RH,

7/27/2014 8:17 PM
So if none are more important then why can't you just look at the Overall and then modify that if you are spe3cifically looking for power or speed or defense?
7/28/2014 1:07 PM
Overall is HEAVILY influenced by Durability and Health(and Stamina for pitchers).

I may not be explaining this properly.   Say you use 65 as your low point for VR.   That guy will be a servicable BL player if he's 50 in con/pow/vl/eye.  He won't be great but he'll hold his own.  

Now, use 50 as you low point for VR.   50 across the board isn't going to be much at the BL level.   But, give him 70 con/pow/eye and you'll have a similar guy to example one.

It works that way with most of the ratings.   Except very low or very high numbers.    Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Cecil Lazzeri is a good example.   Low contact(won't hit for average), high power/eye(will hit homers and walk) and average RH split.     He's going to be inconsistent because his contact is low and his combined splits are below BL average.   If his OPS is .803, I can work with him despite the 0-14 streaks.   If it's .602, he's useless. 
7/28/2014 1:16 PM
Overall is a bad way to evaluate ability, because high or low  values in some of the "soft" ratings (durability, stamina, etc) can artificially inflate or deflate OVR rating.

To put it simply, you might get a lot more production out of a carefully chosen R/L platoon of a 68 OVR and a 64 OVR than you might from a single 77 OVR guy.

7/28/2014 1:19 PM
OK thanks guys. I think I understand what you are saying.

There are multiple "important" ratings and several that are less important. The less important ones can affect Overall enough to make it not a good way to evaluate. Is that a correct statement?

So then the "important" ratings are con/pow/eye/vr again depending on what I'm after. Maybe a leadoff high obp player I want con/eye/vr/spd but not worried about pow. A #4 or #5 power hitter I want pow/eye/vr and don't worry about con or spd so much. I'll give up 100 points of OBP for100 points of SLG.

I'm making these statements as a question to ask if I am getting this straight.

And I definitely appreciate you guys taking the time to try and help me.

7/29/2014 12:11 AM
All ratings have importance.  A low DUR position player will be limited in how many games he can play at 100%.   A low health guy is more likely to suffer an injury.  But, yeah, if you're looking at production for a hitter, look at con/pow/splits/eye with BR/speed as secondary ratings(unless you plan on stealing a lot).

Contact - put the bat on the ball limiting strikeouts(and obviously increasing hit chances because you can't get a hit when you whiff)
Power - homers and doubles
Eye - walks
Splits - effectiveness when making contact

7/29/2014 8:31 AM
You should consider getting a mentor.
7/30/2014 9:25 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.