Longest wait to fill Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Foxx rolled 7/5 and we have more openings now than we did when we rolled.....and we're public.  Usually these kinds of waits happen during the start of football season, not the middle of summer.  Not sure if we'll ever fill!
8/8/2014 9:46 AM

Football season HAS started (training camps and pre-season games).

That gets more interest from sports radio and the general sports fan than MLB these days.

8/8/2014 10:05 AM
That's a shame.  Moneyball was an awesome world, once upon a time.
8/9/2014 9:26 AM
I'll join if you guys join..
8/9/2014 1:08 PM
Now that Moneyball is officially dead and all decent owners have bailed... true story can be told. World only died because of the ownership, esp. two veteran owners who nixed prospective owners wayyyyy back in May. Openings were down to two a couple of times... and could have been filled with acceptable owners, but they were vetoed by people living in the past when HBD worlds could be picky. World should have filled and completed another season by now.... but instead it's dead. Not because of WIS or the then-commissioner jvford, but because of a couple of dunces. Ain't that the way of the world... as we learn over and over again.
8/31/2014 2:48 PM
Worlds can still be picky.  And, if they have a certain standard, they should be.
8/31/2014 3:29 PM
That might be true, but there is such a thing as being too picky. You cannot just will a world into elite status. Either you got it or you don't. Best to recognize what type you are in before getting overly choosy about who you let in. In Yaz world, we let noobs in because we help them learn the game and we are watchful of traderape. Many of our noobs have stuck around and become solid veteran owners.
8/31/2014 3:42 PM
Posted by shobob on 8/31/2014 3:42:00 PM (view original):
That might be true, but there is such a thing as being too picky. You cannot just will a world into elite status. Either you got it or you don't. Best to recognize what type you are in before getting overly choosy about who you let in. In Yaz world, we let noobs in because we help them learn the game and we are watchful of traderape. Many of our noobs have stuck around and become solid veteran owners.

I agree with this.   A world has to know what/where they are. 

8/31/2014 6:25 PM
Worlds change and evolve over the course of time. The private rules that worlds create must be able to keep up with that change, as well as with changes in the HBD community. Moneyball also had a "no trade veto" rule which meant that the league could only take on veteran owners that wouldn't do anything stupid. That rule could have been amended in many ways to accommodate owners with less experience. There was also a rule that teams could not change cities, in order to "maintain continuity". But, as jsturgis pointed out, even with 200+ HBD openings at the time and worlds offering gift cards for joining, some folks were unwilling to make any changes to rules or standards.

Moneyball owners felt this was an elite world (though they still let me in) and that they need not rethink rules or lower standards like many other worlds. Now a formerly "elite world" is on its way to becoming a circus freak show. A cautionary tale, for sure.
9/1/2014 1:40 PM (edited)
Not sure it was ever an elite world, except in the minds of the people in it. A good world, yes. I think most of the world ranking threads had them as top quarter in quality. Good, but not great.
9/1/2014 2:17 PM
I beg to differ. I don't know if Moneyball was among the most elite when I joined, but it had formerly been considered elite by most of the HBD community. This post from 2011 ranked it as the #1 world, ahead of Moonlight Graham and Cooperstown.

In that thread MikeT23 said, "A handful of worlds are often mentioned as the "top" worlds in the forums. If NACBL, MGraham, Moneyball, Coop, and APastime aren't near the top, most will assume the program [to determine the rankings] is flawed."

This post from 2012 ranked Moneyball at #8 out of 178 worlds at the time. That's top 5%. In an earlier 2008 poll by 98greenc5, Moneyball was ranked #1. While I am not going to argue the validity of the ranking methods (again quoting MikeT23: "No rating systems can determine if you enjoy your world. And really, that's the most important thing") but by any measure Moneyball was certainly at one time not merely a good world, but an elite one - in the same way that the Alabama Crimson Tide are an elite college football team.
9/1/2014 10:07 PM
I stand corrected.
9/1/2014 10:16 PM
That probably proves your "worlds change and evolve over the course of time" statement.   I see NABCL sitting there for 10 days with 5 openings.  Looks like American Pastime has been regularly losing 4th place teams over the last couple of seasons.   And Moneyball is dead.   Hell, I'm even nicer to owners I reject because I want them to improve their records and re-apply. 
9/2/2014 8:39 AM
12 Next ▸
Longest wait to fill Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.