Considering A "Competitive Balance Draft" Topic

It's what people are going for when they insist on creating a "new world". Just have to find the right situation to implement it.
8/19/2014 8:26 PM (edited)
I'm going to keep an eye out.
8/19/2014 3:49 PM
It will be tough to undo the adavantage THIS team has over the crap teams in that world..  I can tell you I would never join a world where one team has averaged over 100 wins through 30 seasons and has been to 1/2 of the WS and won 1/3 of the WS trophies..  Thats amazing dominance of a world.. Especially with the team only averaging 65M per season on salary..  Cant cure that in a R5 draft.. 
8/19/2014 4:38 PM
One can assume that's why a number like 33 was bandied about.  
8/19/2014 4:41 PM
33 was just a first guess at what it would take for the concept to be successful. And yes, it has taken many seasons for talent levels accrued in the wild west days to balance out.
8/19/2014 7:52 PM
So, a day later, this is still intriguing. My own personal thoughts;

-If it's going to be done, people probably want a challenge out of it. Thus, while a number would have to be agreed on by all, I can see a number like 20 being attractve. Why bother doing it unless you're really going to make it a challenge season to season.

-The league to do it in is a league that gets down to 20+ openings (which will happen someday). Move forward with those in the league that we would bring in 20+ owners under these new league rules (or, start the proposed league thread in the Classifieds and see if an existing league that can't fill reaches out).

-Aggressive MWR. The advantage of the bottom now is not just top pick in the draft, but also top pick in the Rule 5 draft, which now means something. Thus, the MWR probably needs to be a little more aggressive, and probably a rotating 2 season MWR (up year, down year cycle)

Now, here's the problems that I could brainstorm

-Compliance. Say the limit of players you could keep on the 40 is 20 players. I don't see a way, from a commissioner standpoint, to easily monitor it. Maybe someone has a view I'm missing

-Timing of designating players. You have 2 full days to do it (the 2 days before the Rule 5, where the players hit the WW but don't clear). You know, every year, there is going to be that guy that was away for 2 days, or forgot, or is stupid. A rule would be needed for that scenario,

-Rule 5 set up fuckups. It'll happen every season. Owner sets his rule 5 player list. owner think "oh ****, I need to change my settings". Owner changes settings. Rule 5 list resets. Owner whines all season. OR owner forgets to change the limit higher than $327K. OR owner forgets to change the numbers of players picked away from 0.
8/20/2014 8:15 AM
****. Scratch compliance. I missed the team 40 man rosters under Reports the first 20 times I looked for it.
8/20/2014 8:18 AM
It would be tough to get an idea like that running, to be sure. I like the idea of opening and keeping open a classified ad though.
8/20/2014 3:00 PM
I'm pretty sure someone tried to do it but WifS refused to give him the "leftover" teams from worlds he merged.   mchalesarmy, I think.
8/20/2014 3:06 PM
Moneyball is floundering badly right now. I'm floating this idea to the commish.
8/26/2014 3:43 PM
Moneyball is interesting in a morbid curiousity way.   Once considered one of the top worlds, it's a mess now.   I don't know why but, 4 months later, they're further away from filling than ever.   And, from what I've seen, no one is doing anything to make it viable again.   It's like the 20 guys in there are just waiting for a magic pill to solve the problem. 
8/27/2014 12:52 PM
On first pass, this is a good idea, but I need to brainstorm a little ways to game it.

jvford Education Agency 8/28/2014 1:50 PM You know what would probably make everything easier? If the rule was that you couldn't have anyone on your 40 man roster that wasn't in the majors prior to the RuleV draft. Sure,
jvford Education Agency 8/28/2014 1:50 PM some owners would stash some of their multi year contract guys in the minors until after the draft, but I think they could only pull that off if they had options (without exposing them to waivers) and options would get used up quickly if teams did that.
8/28/2014 2:07 PM
If it were me, and I felt some owners were going to manipulate the idea, I'd shitcan it and let them wait another year to fill.  Because, at the rate they're going, it will be longer than that.    Owners have to be all in or not at all.  
8/28/2014 2:39 PM
It looks like I might be getting a world to work with. 3 people have left Moneyball since I joined!
8/30/2014 1:20 AM
Maybe you just need to change your deodorant.
8/30/2014 7:25 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Considering A "Competitive Balance Draft" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.