Type D compensation? Topic

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

This past offseason I had a type A free agent sign with a team that netted me the 32nd in this year's 1st round.  I ended up drafted a guy that is a "may sign if the price is right" kind of guy.  I'm still waiting for his decision, but if he comes back with a yeah I'm not signing, or I'll sign if you pay me more, and I pass, will I get a type D comp for him the next season?

I don't think this would matter, but just in case, we are in the throws of a rebuild, after a long successful run, life got in the way and I had to move this team, the next owner made a handful of deals to start the rebuilding process, but then decided to "skip town" as life/work began to normalize, I filled back in for the owner for last season, then ended up deciding to stick around.  As a result, the budgets are not where I'd want them to be for a normal rebuild (13 college, 1 for HS) plus I didn't see a ton of talent that I really liked.  My normal pick was #26, where I drafted a "probably won't sign" guy, so I'm assuming he'll say no or come back with a larger request at a minimum, and I'll get my Type D.  If I do get Type D for him, would it kill getting an additional Type D comp pick next season for the guy I got at 32 (if I'm even eligible to get a Type D for him to begin with)?  Both guys are decent prospects, they'd eventual fill a hole on the ML team, but neither are anything super special either, the kind of picks you'd expect near the end of the 1st round.

I'm guessing I'll pick somewhere in the late teens, early 20s next season w/ my natural pick.  Don't really love the idea of having 3 1st round picks (not to mention a few likely Type A and Type B free agents of my own), but I figure with a 17 in college budget I'm probably likely to see guys at least as talented as these guys, with a shot at seeing guys significantly better.

TIA

8/19/2014 12:58 PM
Here ya go:

If you don't sign your true first round pick, second round pick, or third round pick you will be awarded with a Type D pick the following season.

In order to receive the compensation pick you must offer the player 100% of his initial demands, he must refuse to sign, and you must never withdraw your offer to the draft pick at any time. If the player counters and you wish to make a new offer you can do so but the new offer must be 100% of his new demands and it must also not be withdrawn. Essentially your last offer must have been at least 100% of his demands at the time the offer was made and never withdrawn.

If those conditions are met then you will receive a compensation pick in next seasons draft in the same slot that you picked the previous season plus one depending on any other shifting from franchises that were awarded Type D compensation picks before you. This holds true for the first and second round. For third round compensation picks you will receive a pick in a supplemental round at the end of the third round in the following seasons draft.

Compensation round picks for Type A and Type B FAs DO NOT qualify for Type D compensation picks.

8/19/2014 2:33 PM
thanks
8/19/2014 3:00 PM
Type D compensation? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.