Etiquette- mistaken unprotected rule 5 player Topic

I had the first pick in the rule five draft- a very good player was left unprotected- fourth overall pick. Prior to the draft, but not until another owner mentioned it in chat- he was posting about a mistake in trying to call the player up and asking for the player to be traded back.

I am not sure what the right thing to do is- any thoughts welcome.
9/7/2014 2:39 AM
Check if the guy has been playing more than one season.  If he has, keep the player and enjoy him.  If it's his first season, I might cut a little slack by trading him back for a ML prospect with a lower ceiling.

Otherwise, HGWHD
9/7/2014 2:48 AM
I'm sure you will get opinions from both sides of the aisle, but I am firmly in the "tough luck" camp.

Owners act like they only had one day or something.
You can protect guys (who are flagged with a big red R5) as soon as budgets set.
That gives owners over a week to get it done.
I don't care what the excuse is, trading him back sets a bad precedence IMO.
9/7/2014 2:49 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 9/7/2014 2:48:00 AM (view original):
Check if the guy has been playing more than one season.  If he has, keep the player and enjoy him.  If it's his first season, I might cut a little slack by trading him back for a ML prospect with a lower ceiling.

Otherwise, HGWHD
Funny. As I was typing my response I was thinking "the only way I even consider it is if the guy is a n00b and really may just be overwhelmed".
9/7/2014 2:50 AM
I agree with the others. If he's new to the game, cut him some slack. But otherwise you have absolutely no obligation to give the player up.

You are within your rights to keep the player or trade him back for a high price. The Rule5 isn't rocket science, and it's not like it's a secret which players are exposed. There's a giant red icon that tells you which players need to be protected.
9/8/2014 12:34 PM
I'm generally in the "feel bad, trade him back" camp.  But if you would have drafted someone else instead, I'd ask for something somewhat worthwhile in return.  Someone who resembles whoever else you would have drafted.

But you obviously have no obligation to do anything.  Whatever you decide is a fair decision.
9/8/2014 1:11 PM
The breach in etiquette was by the owner who has asked for the player to be traded back. Keep him unless you get a player just as good for him. Why should he expect you to waste a draft pick because of his mistake
9/8/2014 10:14 PM
Ah yes. The Astacio saga. Nearly tore Capra apart in season 31.
9/9/2014 11:39 PM
I see it's an owner with 71 seasons, and he is a really good player, so I would either keep him or trade him back for an equal prospect.
9/10/2014 10:51 AM
Yeah, I'd tell him tough luck and then make joke about his mother!
9/10/2014 11:42 AM
The title of this thread is inaccurate. There's no such thing as "mistaken."

9/10/2014 12:20 PM
With the #1 pick you'd likely have gotten a player of at least some value. Why would anyone ask you to give that up because he made a mistake? If it's a brand-new player I'd trade him back for someone comparable to the next-best player in R5, whom you would have taken, but only after making sure the new player had gotten a mentor outside of the world. If it's someone with more than 2 seasons, Arfy's got it right with the tough luck and joke about his mother, though I'd throw in posting at least one Jim Mora level "Are you serious?" rant in the world chat.
9/11/2014 3:00 AM
FWIW, he traded the R5 guy(#4 pick) for a more recent #11 and #83.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rafael Cordero
9/11/2014 8:52 AM

So a potential all-star for 2 players who should never make the majors?  Someone got screwed and how the league let that tradde go through makes it worse.

9/11/2014 9:28 AM
I'm pretty sure at least one will make the majors.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jeremy Rooney and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Luke Ruth

Ruth looks a little sketchy to me.   42 control and no pitch over 70 at age 23.  
9/11/2014 9:32 AM
12 Next ▸
Etiquette- mistaken unprotected rule 5 player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.