A couple questions about a super stud hitter Topic

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=4500634

Took over this team and inherited this slugger- had a couple questions- first- he is willing to resign for 5x7.4 which was very surprising to me- is that common with player if this caliber and his patience? I was wondering if it could have anything to do with extending him after the first arbitration?

Also the pervious owner signed no prospects really over the last five years so the far is orettty barren- if you were going to trade this guy what would you want back for him? I expect I'd get six very strong years from hi if I held him.

Thanks
10/14/2014 5:08 PM

First, why would you want to trade him?   Seems like most of your posts are "I have this good player.  What can I get in trade?"

Second, if you don't get your training up, he's going to decline physically well before your expected 6 years of production.   Might anyway.   Here's a somewhat similar guy with 20m in training.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Brandon Gray   Go back to when he was 30 and look at the decline in power rating. 

10/14/2014 5:45 PM
Anyway, I traded for this Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Louie Maranon this season.   Not quite as good but I needed another bat for a playoff run. 

This was the centerpiece of the deal:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Harry Butera
These two were thrown in to make the salary work:
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ubaldo Soto
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ugueth Rivera

What you'll get for a 1B who is on the verge of decline isn't what you'd hope to get. 
10/14/2014 5:54 PM
I suspect I'll end up keeping him- I'm just wondering what a fair return would have been- I don't think I've posted that many threads about trading good players- but I know we sitemailed about a few...

Any thoughts about him being willing to sign another contract? Just a function of his patience? Can I often expect an MVP caliber hitter with 80 patience to resign?
10/14/2014 6:37 PM
I may have you confused with someone else.  Or maybe I'm just lumping together all the owners with poor records always wanting to deal their best player.

There's some tie-in to patience.  I don't really know the number but I suspect it's tied into overall also.   I you have him signed for 5 more seasons, I'm not too sure you'd want him to sign another. 
10/14/2014 6:44 PM
No he's in the last year of his contract- so it would be a total of six seasons. I guess I had a distorted sense of what a hitter like this would bad worth- I thought a top 5 pick plus another reasonably high draft pick was reasonable but sounds like that'd be too much? I was thinking if I could get a big return it'd be worth moving him maybe since the farm system is empty- but absent that I would probably choose to hold him
10/14/2014 6:58 PM
Most guys with 80 patience will resign
10/14/2014 7:03 PM
No way are you getting a legit top 5 pick for him.    HBD owners hold their prospects closer than their actual babies. 
10/14/2014 7:07 PM
The guy is a mashing stud and will stay a stud even as his Power declines some...because his vR contact won't decline for a while. Sign him. Keep him.
10/15/2014 5:28 PM
Id keep him forever
10/16/2014 6:09 PM
I'd sign him long term and if you can afford it front load the contract.
10/21/2014 4:41 AM
Speaking of a contract extension- if the contract expires at the end of a season- if I extend him this season would a bonus count against this years budget or next? Also, does anyone know if a player will accept the deal he requests if you make the final season an option instead of guaranteed?

Thanks
10/21/2014 7:31 PM
Posted by groth911 on 10/21/2014 7:31:00 PM (view original):
Speaking of a contract extension- if the contract expires at the end of a season- if I extend him this season would a bonus count against this years budget or next? Also, does anyone know if a player will accept the deal he requests if you make the final season an option instead of guaranteed?

Thanks
Any bonus offered counts against this season. I have seen players accept an option and reject. But if they do reject the option you can resubmit w/o one.
10/21/2014 10:36 PM
Posted by jibe on 10/21/2014 10:36:00 PM (view original):

Thanks
Any bonus offered counts against this season. I have seen players accept an option and reject. But if they do reject the option you can resubmit w/o one.
The bonus would count for the first season of the new extension, not your current season.
10/22/2014 9:15 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/22/2014 9:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jibe on 10/21/2014 10:36:00 PM (view original):

Thanks
The bonus would count for the first season of the new extension, not your current season.
Yep, bonus counts against next year.

10/22/2014 10:18 AM
A couple questions about a super stud hitter Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.