Ten Year Draft world idea and organization thread Topic

Three goals for this thread:
1-Identify guys who are interested in playing
2-Hash out the rules
3-Find a world that is interested in taking on the concept
Posts that aren't related to one of those three goals will be redlined and removed.  

Basic idea: A draft is held.  Ten seasons are played.  Another draft is held.  Rinse and repeat.  Maybe a monetary prize for the top couple of teams every ten seasons?

Details, subject to discussion: 
- Drafts could consist of just the ML rosters and FA's of every team, or 40-man rosters and FA's, or entire franchises and FA's, with varying amounts of protected players depending on how deep the draft pool is.  (Ex., a draft pool of just ML rosters and FA's would maybe have no protected players, while a pool with the 40 and FA's would have maybe three protected players, and a pool of every player in the world would have maybe five protected players on each team.)

- After ten seasons, the order of the next draft could be decided by seniority, or winning percentage, or.....? I would like to have some sort of incentive for owners to stay long-term, while not handicapping owners who sign up in the tenth season. Maybe the order is based on winning percentage, but owners are given a % bump for every season they played during the ten seasons prior?

- Some sort of MWR, but with a goal of keeping owners long-term, the punishment for not meeting the MWR might be a ceiling on prospect budget, or a lower position in the next ten year draft, etc.

- The draft would obviously go in a snake format, so the last pick in each round is the first pick in the following round.

I reached out to a handful of owners, and some have expressed interest. If you only check HBD once or twice a day, then the draft and subsequent trading of players with 31 other teams is probably not for you. 
1) wcrebel
2) sergei91
3) iain
4) bbwinksdaddy
5) bluenoser44
6) playboy33
7) ab90
8) locomoco
9)
10)

If you are in a world that has been stagnant for a couple of months, but you don't want to merge and lose your history and stats and HOF, then this idea might be good for you.  If your world is full of guys who have been tanking for several years and are finally seeing their $30M IFA's and top 5 draft picks hit the ML level, then this idea shouldn't even be mentioned in your world chat. If you think this might work for your world, either say so here, or send me a sitemail.
3/25/2015 3:32 AM (edited)
How would you draft the players? Post-by-post and then send in a ticket asking WifS to change rosters as such?
1/27/2015 2:15 PM
It would happen in a thread here in the forums, and then most of the transactions would occur via trades. So if you draft two guys from my team, it's on you to send me a trade offer for those two guys, in exchange for whatever. Players exercising no-trade clauses would just get waived and then claimed by the new team. Make sense?
1/27/2015 3:08 PM
Yes. This seems like an incredibly research-heavy idea with great payoff. Would you have like a Google doc spreadsheet constantly going with the picks as they're posted so that everyone could go to the same page and see real-time results?
1/27/2015 3:19 PM
Something on Google drive or just updated in the thread, maybe both. We would make sure it went as quickly and smoothly as possible.
1/27/2015 5:19 PM
Best to have a schedule for the draft selections, and stick to it.
1/27/2015 6:52 PM
Finally an update and something that resembles progress. WIS says we can do this, if we jump through a few hoops.

First, we need 32 owners on board. They won't give us a world and then let us recruit/fill.

Second, we need to find two worlds that are merging, and piggy back on their merger, taking the 32 unwanted teams (more accurately, the players from those 32 teams).
3/19/2015 5:26 AM
ok
3/19/2015 7:27 AM
I'm in. Sounds fun. I don't check the boards very often, so keep me informed via sitemail if this ever gets off the ground or you need me to do something.
3/24/2015 5:17 PM
One thing that you need to be aware of. 

When you piggyback off a merger, you will essentially have to burn a season that wouldn't be able to count towards the ten years. 

This is because when admin performs a merger, the world starts immediately. There is no approve button to hit. 

Therefore, no time for a draft before the season starts.

What we were considering doing, (when we thought that was going to be our route), was to have a relaxed pace draft during the whole of that burned season, trading drafted players after each round. 
3/25/2015 7:24 AM
I will say Im not sure I would be able to give that commitment but this is a very cool idea.  I would be interested in seeing how it ends up working out.
3/25/2015 8:05 AM
McHale, I'm waiting for them to clarify that. To expect people to burn a season before we do the draft is just ludicrous. I think my tickets have been answered by three or four different guys, and while some get what I'm talking about, some clearly don't understand.
3/25/2015 1:21 PM
Remember how I got admin to move us back into pre-schedule mode in Ford world? I know it's possible for them to do it. The question is are they willing?
3/25/2015 1:50 PM
Ten Year Draft world idea and organization thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.