Developing pitching prospects Topic

My franchise is fairly devoid of lower and middle level SP prospects (Rookie - AA). In the draft I scored a stud pitcher - the #2 overall pitcher. Now I want to make sure I maximize his potential. I started him at Rookie and in two games he's already been predictably dominant.

How aggressively should I move him up the ladder? Am I looking to get him innings where he can be very good, or am I looking for a level that challenges him without overwhelming him?

1/31/2015 12:38 PM
For stud draft prospects, I usually put them in High A. That way they play one season each in High A, AA, and AAA before entering the majors.
1/31/2015 4:19 PM
Anyone who'll be on your 40 should be in AAA by his 4th season.   If he's going to make your BL team before that, you can start him in AA or AAA with no ill effects.
1/31/2015 4:27 PM
In this exact case, AA because you have a much better pitching coach there than High A.  In general, one of those two levels for a very high end college prospect.
1/31/2015 5:56 PM
I feel like I really blew it with the Low A coaches. I am guessing patience should be pretty important at any of the levels yes?
1/31/2015 6:47 PM

- This is the coach's patience rating. The higher the rating, the easier it will be for him to tolerate and coach younger players. Of course, if he's really good in the other areas, his lack of patience may be acceptable.

1/31/2015 6:49 PM
Thanks Mike. I assume that patience is essential at the lower levels more than the higher levels though right?
2/1/2015 10:58 AM
That is my assumption but anyone who says they know exactly how coaching works is full of it.    And, if you promote thru your system, a guy in AAA is going to be close to full development anyway.
2/1/2015 11:05 AM
I think - THINK - logically that patience would be more important at the lower levels, not so much at big league.  And I go for higher discipline ratings, I'll take a bit less in IQ if the guy makes it up in discipline.  Goes for all coaches IMO.

2/1/2015 11:34 AM
Discipline, really? Have you noticed much of an effect from high discipline ratings?
The description in the players guide says that discipline means things like "hitting the cutoff man," which I took to mean it doesn't have much effect on a player's ratings. It also says that a coach with high discipline will focus on this kind of stuff at the expense of other skills.
I've completely ignored that rating to focus on patience and IQ. Is this a mistake?
2/2/2015 11:23 AM
Arm accuracy would "hitting the cut-off" man.   I would assume it helps with batting eye and, possibly, contact.  

At the end of the day, you can't have everything from every coach.   I focus on IQ then worry about the other stuff.
2/2/2015 11:28 AM
Actually, I look for it most with the pitching coach.  I think it helps limit walks.  BUT, I have to admit, it may be just something I THINK.  Didn't mean to mislead.

Anyway, not like I'd take an 80ish IQ coach over a 90ish because of it.  More like it's a potential tiebreaker in my mind.

2/2/2015 12:20 PM
Developing pitching prospects Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.