Am I getting screwed here? Topic

I think you've been a little harsh on your commissioner. In the context of the chat, it doesn't sound as if he's just trying to hold things up so he can take your players. You should listen to the people who are telling you to wait. There's absolutely no good that can come from selling off all your players right away. Play with this team for a season, learn how the ratings affect performance (you may think you know, but you don't). Try to make the playoffs.

If that doesn't work, you can start your rebuild next season. But you should never go into fill sell mode when you are coming off a playoff season. And I would strongly advise any first/second season player to avoid trades altogether. You will get ripped off I you trade with an experienced player. That is a guarantee.
2/2/2015 11:37 AM
Perhaps this is an isolated case, but I'm going to speak of something that happens in the world I play in.  This sort of approach can devalue veteran players.

This one world features a majority of core owners who have been in it for over 20, 30 seasons.  The rest are a handful of owners who blend in and out over time.  In ten seasons I've seen a few franchises burn down and start over.

A new guy this season, while I was TCing with him, asked me "am I wrong about things or is it just this world?"  Like sjp, he's got WiS experience, he's played in other worlds too and had success there.  So he figured he had a decent idea about the value of his veteran players, which I had to agree with.  Couldn't understand why he kept getting extreme lowball offers for a prime age cost controlled all star player.  I let him know that the world regularly sees such players dumped away for next to nothing.  As MikeT often says, prospects are overvalued in most worlds, but in this world the most you can get for any player is usually a sandwich pick.  It gets really nauseating when you see all star players getting traded for a handful of long relievers, catchers, and triple A lifers just because that's the best they can get.

So, while a commish might keep an eye out for new owners getting boned, there's also the question of what's healthy for the world.

Not just in terms of keeping the market values healthy, but also to keep owners like this new guy from thinking, "holy crap this world is stupid."

2/2/2015 12:23 PM (edited)
It's your obligation to look out for the health of the world too. If you trade those two players listed to someone in my division for peanuts before I even knew they were available or had a chance yo make an offer, I'd be furious. If it's my first season there, I'm going to assume its a tard world, and it would also be my last. Of course you can do whatever you want, but you also need 31 other people that are willing to play with you. Moves like you want to make, make it harder to recruit quality owners. I'm 99% sure the commish was looking out for the world with his comments.
2/2/2015 12:31 PM
Fair enough.
2/2/2015 1:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/2/2015 8:39:00 AM (view original):
This would scare the hell out of me as a commish:

sjpoker Pacifics 2/1/2015 8:26 AM Louie Ward is available. Its a package deal though, along with Arthur Stairs . I'm not looking for much in return. Willing to discuss anything, so let me know.

Especially coming from an owner with 77 games under his belt.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Louie Ward and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Arthur Stairs are not slugs.    In fact, it would take a lot for me to part ways with Ward.
sjpoker, just an unsolicited tip.  You don't trade guys like Ward.
2/2/2015 2:22 PM
n00bs will send me sitemails for player "evaluations" from time to time.   I forget who but he kept sending over guys and asking "What should I expect to get in return for this guy?"    They were all 25-28 y/o studs.     After the 4th-5th one, I said "If you have all these guys, I wouldn't trade any of them.  I'd acquire players and build around them."

In this particular case, there's no way I give up Ward just to be rid of Stairs.  Stairs is overpaid but he's still a good pitcher capable of 180 innings.
2/2/2015 2:57 PM
How long are rebuilds "supposed" to take, anyway?  That's what gets me about these things, they're often trading away players who are still going to be all stars when "the plan" kicks in. 

2/2/2015 3:08 PM
If you really wanted to do it right, 6 seasons.    That's going to give you 6 top 3 picks and 6 big dollar IFA.  In the 7th season, you can call up the 6 you acquired in S1-S3 and start building.   Then you have 2 more ready to come up in each of the next three seasons.   In S9, you've got all 12, making little, in the bigs and you can still get a big money IFA because you could limit your payroll. 
2/2/2015 3:16 PM
Mike -

Stairs had one season of over 180 IP in season 27. He had 171 in season 30. Those were his age 29 and 32 seasons. He's 35 now. In the two seasons since season 30 he has had 160 IP combined. What am I missing with the 180 IP? If he was a starter, I'd keep him at $15 million, but he's a long man.
2/2/2015 5:02 PM
Poor usage.  A lot of owners do it.    My guy:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kennie Simpson   I get 160+ from him with no problem.   75/36 STM/DUR and he's not as good as Stairs.   Stairs is 84/37.    He's a 180 inning pitcher if used properly.
2/2/2015 5:30 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 2/2/2015 5:02:00 PM (view original):
Mike -

Stairs had one season of over 180 IP in season 27. He had 171 in season 30. Those were his age 29 and 32 seasons. He's 35 now. In the two seasons since season 30 he has had 160 IP combined. What am I missing with the 180 IP? If he was a starter, I'd keep him at $15 million, but he's a long man.
He was used as a closer last season, apparently, which is a huge waste of a pitcher with those skills.

There's going to be usage variance from season to season with relievers, but you can bank on this guy giving you 120-150 IP with a WHIP below 1.20 and ERA below 3.00. That's incredibly valuable the way this game works. Maybe not quite $15M valuable, but that's basically one shutdown inning in every game that's not completed by the starter or a blowout finished by a mopup guy or LRB. Or, put another way, you probably won't have to worry about bullpen fatigue at all with this guy on your roster.
2/2/2015 5:30 PM
And, BTW, 180 innings is starter innings.   He may not be a starter but he could pitch starter innings.
2/2/2015 5:32 PM
A good example. Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bill Tatum

Throwing 140+.    His owner decides to use him as a closer and he's getting 60-70 innings.   That's like leaving 8 games on the table at season's end.
2/2/2015 5:35 PM
Wow, very interesting. I'm glad I asked. So this is a guy who would get slotted in as a setup guy?
2/2/2015 5:47 PM
I love pitchers like that. Those 80Dur/40Sta guys are great. If you have one on your team, and he's good, you almost don't have to worry about the rest of the bullpen. Set him as your only Setup A guy and give him like a 30 pitch count, and he'll be ready to go almost every game, sometimes for 2-3 innings.

All you'll need is a cheap Mopup guy, a long man, and maybe one more reliable setup B, and your pen is set.

Not sure he's worth $15 mil, but it isn't exactly urgent for you to get rid of him at that price. By the way, when is he a free agent? With 81 overall, he'll be worth a Type A comp pick if you let him go as a FA. That could very well be as valuable as anything you'll get for him in a trade.
2/2/2015 5:51 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Am I getting screwed here? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.