41-5 Home record at the break Topic

Because games aren't played in a vacuum, teams winning 30-40 games are much worse.   They are not competitive and they may be selectively not competitive.   And that affects playoff races.   Much like all 70 win teams aren't the same.    A team that plays .500 over the last 30 to finish with 70 wins is much better than the guy that goes 6-24 at the end to finish with 70.
2/19/2015 7:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2015 7:18:00 PM (view original):
Because games aren't played in a vacuum, teams winning 30-40 games are much worse.   They are not competitive and they may be selectively not competitive.   And that affects playoff races.   Much like all 70 win teams aren't the same.    A team that plays .500 over the last 30 to finish with 70 wins is much better than the guy that goes 6-24 at the end to finish with 70.
All true.
2/19/2015 7:22 PM

To be honest, an owner who knows what he's doing and gets 3 top 3 picks in consecutive seasons(sandwiched by a 6 and a 13) probably shouldn't throw stones at anyone.   That's terrible.   And, as a commish, it's worse than terrible.   It's a horrible example to set for what is/isn't acceptable. 

2/19/2015 7:33 PM
But, back to the point, it's possible to not win 70 when your goal is to win.   I've done it three times.   And I've done it once when I had to clean up a mess I'd created.   If you're in a good world for more than 10-12 seasons, you're likely to find yourself in the same situation. 
2/19/2015 7:41 PM
Can someone please sitemail me who you're talking about so I can follow along and maybe learn something?
2/19/2015 7:42 PM
I think he's talking about me.  I guess.  My record in Hamilton matches what he's saying.  I have no idea about the hypocrite part, but whatever.  Did I have few seasons of struggling after averaging 100+ wins for 11 seasons?  Yeah.  There was context involved as in anything, but whatever brianp has against me, I'm not sure what it is.  I know a lot about this game and still have a lot to learn.  I'm pretty good at running a team that has a good core.  (Hamilton and Mantle)  I'm not very good at rebuilding, but I've done okay at that a couple of times too.  Most of the time I struggle with that, but I've rebuilt a team in Coop that won a WS and in Fingers that came close).  

Either way brian I don't appreciate being called out on the boards like that - not necessarily because it's me, but because Hamilton is a pretty good world.  You may hate it, but there are plenty of good guys in that world who don't deserve the **** they get by extension of your attack on me.
2/19/2015 8:56 PM
Posted by silentpadna on 2/19/2015 8:56:00 PM (view original):
I think he's talking about me.  I guess.  My record in Hamilton matches what he's saying.  I have no idea about the hypocrite part, but whatever.  Did I have few seasons of struggling after averaging 100+ wins for 11 seasons?  Yeah.  There was context involved as in anything, but whatever brianp has against me, I'm not sure what it is.  I know a lot about this game and still have a lot to learn.  I'm pretty good at running a team that has a good core.  (Hamilton and Mantle)  I'm not very good at rebuilding, but I've done okay at that a couple of times too.  Most of the time I struggle with that, but I've rebuilt a team in Coop that won a WS and in Fingers that came close).  

Either way brian I don't appreciate being called out on the boards like that - not necessarily because it's me, but because Hamilton is a pretty good world.  You may hate it, but there are plenty of good guys in that world who don't deserve the **** they get by extension of your attack on me.
I would not say its a good world but then again we both can have your opinion.
2/19/2015 9:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/19/2015 7:41:00 PM (view original):
But, back to the point, it's possible to not win 70 when your goal is to win.   I've done it three times.   And I've done it once when I had to clean up a mess I'd created.   If you're in a good world for more than 10-12 seasons, you're likely to find yourself in the same situation. 
Your right any thing is possible. 3 times in like 100 or whatever seasons is not a lot or really. So really there isn't a real win amount that makes you a tanker or not. As you know its tough to not win 70 games and pretty rare if you are really trying to win.
2/19/2015 9:40 PM
That's fine brian.  Whatever it is that made you think however you do about me is not a big deal to me and you're free to think of the world however you do.  But it's a little disingenuous to call me out as a hypocrite and potentially damage a world with owners that have nothing to do with it, what 2 years or more after your primary beef with Mike.  And to this day I don't even know what your beef is with me.  I'm sure there was one and I'm sure there are two sides, but frankly I don't hold grudges and I've never intentionally tanked.  Ever.
2/19/2015 9:42 PM
The quality of the world matters.   It's easier to win games when others are trying to lose. 

I have 7 100m+, sub .500 records.   5 in Cooperstown, 1 in Mantle, 1 in MG.    None anywhere else. 
2/19/2015 9:49 PM
Good lord.

Baltimore Bodie Broadus's stevehoggett * 88-20 .815 - 10-0 W29 49-5 39-15

2/20/2015 10:09 AM
There's also another team in that world that's 79-29.

Seems like a nice, balanced, competitive place to play.

If you're not one of the other 30 teams, that is.

2/20/2015 10:53 AM
Id like to be the one that beat them in the w/s.
2/20/2015 10:55 AM
His ML team has more wins than his AA, HiA, LoA, and RL teams combined.
2/20/2015 11:45 AM
Wow...didnt notice thos thread took off....this team just won thirty in a row...I have never seen anything like this before.
2/20/2015 12:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
41-5 Home record at the break Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.