A couple years ago there were a few threads that listed the worlds in order of how competitive and stable they were. But there hasn't been any update since 2012 as far as I'm aware. I'm interested in dropping a couple of my teams in bad worlds that allow some squirrelly tactics, and replacing them with teams in better worlds.

Can anyone recommend 5-10 worlds that are good? I'm looking for worlds that have strong rules, decent competition, no tanking, low turnover, intelligent players, etc.

I have an idea of how to evaluate a world by looking at it, but I don't want to spend hours looking at all 160 or so of them, so I thought I'd see if you folks have any recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
2/22/2015 12:35 PM
I bumped a thread I created a while back that really streamlines the process.

Off the top of my head I would name the following as top notch worlds:

Cooperstown
Mantle
Moonlight Graham
NCAA
NCAA II
The MLB

2/22/2015 1:29 PM
Also good:

Satchel Paige
Yastrzemski (maybe I'm biased?)
To a lesser extent, Riley.
2/22/2015 1:53 PM
I'm in NCAA, The MLB and Satchel Paige... all three of those roll fast and have very little turnover with very tough competition... sometimes no openings or only one, so keep an eye out as they can be tough to get into... I've hear MG and Mantle are like that too, but don't have first hand knowledge.

I think you'll find arctic that the really worlds have very few openings to get into, so keep an eye out and be proactive when the ones you're eyeing are getting close to rolling over.

@shobob- Thanks for mentioning SP in there! I've been commish for a while there now, and its come a long way. Nice to see it mentioned like that, as I've thought it was that way, but also acknowledge my own bias.
2/22/2015 2:02 PM
Mordecai must be a good one based on how fast they roll.  Little turnover the last few seasons, and diversity in playoff winners too.
2/22/2015 2:20 PM
Check the commish's record in the worlds.   If he's dominant, or horrible, for long periods of time, I'd dig a little deeper.    That might give you an indication of how long he's been commish also. 
2/22/2015 2:30 PM
I'd also send the commish a sitemail with any questions.   If he won't answer, you probably want to avoid that world. 
2/22/2015 2:35 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I have read the How to Choose a World thread before, and I found it helpful.

One thing that is difficult is finding out what the world's rules are. At this point, I'm not I retested in joining any more worlds without a MWR, but it's not possible to see the private world rules when I just click on a world. As far as I can tell, the only way to learn about those is to sitemail the commissioner and ask or read the classified post (if there is one).
2/22/2015 3:18 PM
It's interesting how things have changed since Dmurphy's last ranking in 2012. Two worlds that were Ranked in the top 20 - For Life and Warning Track - are currently dying with 15+ openings. I wonder if there are any that have improved as drastically as those worlds must have declined.

Also, it's interesting that the list only took into account parity, pitching and fielding stats. I can think of a few other categories that might be important, such as the health of the minor league teams, number of owners who quit the world, etc.
2/22/2015 4:00 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 2/22/2015 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I have read the How to Choose a World thread before, and I found it helpful.

One thing that is difficult is finding out what the world's rules are. At this point, I'm not I retested in joining any more worlds without a MWR, but it's not possible to see the private world rules when I just click on a world. As far as I can tell, the only way to learn about those is to sitemail the commissioner and ask or read the classified post (if there is one).
I always put the full world rules in our recruiting thread in the Classifieds Forum.  I'm puzzled why some commissioners do not.
2/22/2015 4:16 PM
Uecker.
2/22/2015 5:27 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 2/22/2015 3:18:00 PM (view original):

I would hope that any private world would have their rules listed on the Blog, which anyone could go check easily.
2/22/2015 6:10 PM
Posted by frymaster99 on 2/22/2015 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Uecker.
Normally, in order to avoid a ******* match, I'd let this go.

You've got two teams racing to the bottom and one of them has won less than 40 in 2 of the last three seasons.

Clean that **** up before touting your world as "good". 
2/22/2015 6:33 PM
To explain why this annoys me, here you go:

1.  The forums are for information.    Some info is good, some sucks balls.   I tend to call out the ball sucking info because HBD needs new owners and, as a current user, I feel like the infomation needs to be good.   Nothing chases a new owner off faster than a ****** experience.

2.  I've had a couple of Jacks on Ice.    I get annoyed easily after a few drinks.
2/22/2015 6:43 PM
I just spent an hour looking through worlds with openings and I'm not sure if there is a world with openings worth joining right now... 
2/22/2015 6:52 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.