Getting good BL talent deeper in the draft Topic

This was my favourite player I ever had. Got DITR during S5 I think.  <a style="color:black;" href="http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=1853836" target="_blank">Daniel Helton</a>
2/28/2015 1:32 PM
Another way to approach the draft, in addition to looking for the "gems" that might be ranked low when you are first presented with your draft list and moving them up, is to look for the marginal guys who are ranked high by default and moving them down.  You don't want to waste, say for example, a third round pick on a marginal guy who is ranked ahead of a more useful (but lower rated) guy who you otherwise could have drafted.

In a typical draft, I might identify 40-50 guys who have at least possible ML potential.  I make sure those are the top 40-50 guys on my ranked list going into draft day.

I've had draft lists where the initially #7 ranked player was a guy I wanted nothing to do with.  Push guys like those down behind your ML potential guys who interest you.

2/28/2015 1:39 PM
Wow, Helton should have seen more than 250 AB's a year.
2/28/2015 2:06 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 2/28/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Mike once again you have proved your superior intellect.

When I say you are being hard on the noob, I'm talking about the sarcasm. I guess its important to you to show you know better. I'm not gonna judge Mike. You became a troll for some reason. Maybe your kid has cancer. Maybe you lost your job. Not sure.

But anyway, I admit I made a few mistakes in 7Yankees7 and Gleeman2, and thats fine. What you say is right. I should have spent more time examining the draft (time I haven't had recently). You live and you learn. I'm having fun with the game, reading into the Forums, and asking questions. Making adjustments. I'll be doing that with the upcoming draft in mauer.

It's funny.   A few users have a problem with me.   Almost all began like you.   New owner comes to the forum and asks a question when really all he wanted was confirmation that he was right.    When I disagree, said owner becomes defensive because he's positive he already knows everything he needs to know, therefore, he must be right.    At this point, it's obvious to him that I'm nothing more than a "troll".    Which is fine because, when I need internet "friends", it will be time to re-examine where my life went wrong. 

Anyway, it's good that you're learning.   Too bad you already knew everything before you got started. 
2/28/2015 2:14 PM
Mike - I agree, I admit to thinking I knew more than I did, but its ok. I read all of your stuff. Its good. I would recommend it to everyone who was starting out. I'm not objecting to you pointing out my mistake either. What I'm objecting to you being a ***** about it. But whatever. It is what it is.

Tec -

Move up lower ranked players with value (at least to the draftee), while making sure that higher ranked players with (subjectively) less value get pushed down. Good points.

What stats do you find are overvalued by a lot of owners in the draft throughout the years? Power for hitters? Velocity?

2/28/2015 2:38 PM
Re-read the thread I linked.  I'm assuming that's the first "conflict" we had.   Played out EXACTLY as I described at 2:14 today.

2/28/2015 5:14 PM
I'd say the "tone" changed right about here:

Quote post by MikeT23 on 2/2/2015 8:49:00 AM:
OK, you asked for thoughts.   I gave you mine.  

Rushing to make deals is a bad idea.  Experienced, inexperience, successful, unsuccessful, it doesn't matter.   The commish saw a new owner rushing to make deals and offering up a 25 y/o beast and very good, albeit overpaid, 180 inning pitcher for "not much in return".   It's a horrible negotiating stance, "I don't really want anything but to be rid of these contracts and I'm taking the first offer I get", and it's coming from a owner that's new to the world and new to HBD.  He probably could have done it privately but, either way, something needed to be said.  

If you call that "interfering" so be it.  I think, had he left out "I was going to make offers for those guys", there would be no question that he was looking out for the best interest of the world. 
2/28/2015 5:16 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 2/28/2015 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Mike - I agree, I admit to thinking I knew more than I did, but its ok. I read all of your stuff. Its good. I would recommend it to everyone who was starting out. I'm not objecting to you pointing out my mistake either. What I'm objecting to you being a ***** about it. But whatever. It is what it is.

Tec -

Move up lower ranked players with value (at least to the draftee), while making sure that higher ranked players with (subjectively) less value get pushed down. Good points.

What stats do you find are overvalued by a lot of owners in the draft throughout the years? Power for hitters? Velocity?

No idea what others are overvaluing other than OVR rating, which is the default rating that the draft lists are sorted by.
2/28/2015 5:33 PM
I'm still dumbfounded why helton didn't get more at-bats……..
2/28/2015 5:43 PM
Posted by dowork on 2/28/2015 5:43:00 PM (view original):
I'm still dumbfounded why helton didn't get more at-bats……..
Even with the real low DUR?
2/28/2015 5:45 PM
Its all good Mike. No use revisiting all that. More interested in your advice.
2/28/2015 5:46 PM
I'm with toad here. I don't see how Helton could've gotten many more ABs while still being a productive player.
2/28/2015 6:03 PM
He had low health not durability 

I can't read.  Got mixed up with another column
2/28/2015 9:58 PM (edited)
Looks to me like his DUR topped out at 43, well below a still low Health rating.
2/28/2015 6:43 PM
Yeah 43 is incredibly low durability for a position player.
2/28/2015 6:48 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Getting good BL talent deeper in the draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.