2015 World Rankings Topic

Excellent stuff. Was looking forward to seeing this. Thanks to all of the effort put into it, I'm sure it was time consuming.
3/19/2015 12:17 PM
My worlds would all finish at the top of the rankings for fun. 
3/19/2015 12:46 PM
Posted by travisg on 3/19/2015 12:46:00 PM (view original):
What kind of crazy talk is that, thinking that games should be fun?
3/19/2015 12:59 PM
Where would they rank in active, friendly chat or blog?
3/19/2015 1:06 PM
FWIW, I've always said that these rankings won't determine if you enjoy your world.   That's the most important thing. 

That said, I always enjoy these rankings because they confirm what I already know.    I commish, or am in, 3 of the top worlds in HBD.   And I recognize that the two I commish aren't for everyone.   Hell, we're not good in the turnover ranking because we send people who can't keep up on their way. 
3/19/2015 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/19/2015 1:06:00 PM (view original):
Friendly chat, Riley is right up there. Would be interesting too to have a HOF inductee list as well. WIB hasn't had a single inductee in at least 2 seasons.
3/19/2015 1:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/19/2015 1:12:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I've always said that these rankings won't determine if you enjoy your world.   That's the most important thing. 

That said, I always enjoy these rankings because they confirm what I already know.    I commish, or am in, 3 of the top worlds in HBD.   And I recognize that the two I commish aren't for everyone.   Hell, we're not good in the turnover ranking because we send people who can't keep up on their way. 

I ended up using only a 10th of a point per deviance from the baseline when it came to Turnover and Rollover Time, because otherwise, it skewed the rankings too much.

Similarly I counted Playoff appearances and WS appearances double. This is because they are a big factor in my mind. The fact that the highest total you could have in WS was 8, and playoff appearances was 32 and a world that only had 4 and 18 wasn't penalized enough to accurately reflect what I value as indicators of parity.

The one thing I would change if I did it again is on the Most Wins and Most Losses category.

I think I should have dropped the highest from each. So this way if a world had 10 instances of 100 win teams, and their highest was 125, but their next highest was only 108 it reflected on them a bit too harshly this time in my estimation. Dropping the outliers would have produced a better, more accurate picture...

I may revisit that category alone and see how long it would take to redo that portion.

3/26/2015 9:25 AM (edited)
Rollover time is another that might be misleading(I already stated that I think some turnover is good).    MG/Coop have been full at rollover every season.   But it's not been immediate because an owner couldn't get in until Monday or someone wanted to change parks or I had **** to do on a Saturday.    Obviously, if a world was sitting for two weeks, none of those apply.   But, if a world rolls in 2-3 days, that's pretty good.
3/19/2015 1:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/19/2015 1:06:00 PM (view original):
You forgot "drama free".
3/19/2015 1:56 PM

I don't disagree, but it is why it only counted 1/10th of a point,
That's also why I included a "sorted by wait time alone" post.

As one of my last posts stated the average was like 16-17 days between seasons, but in reality 88 out of 147 didn't take that long. 17 worlds averaged over a month between seasons. They really jacked up the average. Average was 66.6 days, but the mean was only 56.

42 worlds took less than a week  between seasons. That's almost 30%.

3/19/2015 1:56 PM
Yeah, I guess I forgot to add "You did the right thing by lowering the importance of those categories."
3/19/2015 1:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/19/2015 1:12:00 PM (view original):

Very true.  As an aside, I went to a meeting last week for parents and students who would be starting the college search process.  Somebody in the audience asked about school rankings and how much merit should be put into them when considering colleges.  The admissions person who fielded the question pointed out that while the rankings are somewhat meaningful, the more important factor should be how the student fits into the school and it's culture.  So you might have the best engineering student attending the best engineering school, but if it's not a good fit between student and school, it might not be a good experience.

The exact same thing holds true with HBD.
3/19/2015 2:05 PM
Does that mean that Cooperstown is the Harvard of HBD?
3/19/2015 2:20 PM
I blame BJB why our ranking is 34. Winning 9 of 34 championships. The Tyrant. :p
3/19/2015 2:33 PM
34 is still top 25%.

I didn't count championships, only WS and playoff appearances. Additionally this only looked at the last 4 seasons.

Riley did well, having 23 different franchises make the post season. 27 was the best, and only 13 worlds had more than your 23.
3/19/2015 2:42 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2015 World Rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.