What Am I Missing With This Pitcher? Topic

I can't see small data to be the issue...why is this guy not performing?  (Defense is not as good as it usually is for my teams, but other pitchers are getting better results....)

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Charlie Carpenter

5/5/2015 11:51 AM
I'm sure you recognize that he gives up a huge amount of HR.   That's why his WHIP is better than league average and his ERA is worse.   As for his overall value, he's a 3 or a 4 on my teams using my formula.   I expect that's where he's going to be his entire career.   Slightly above league average with some bad luck homers.
5/5/2015 11:59 AM
The low velocity, low GB leads to a disproportionate number of HR like Mike said.  I'd put him as a number 2/3, but I don't value pitching as highly as others.  You might want to avoid teams that are lefty heavy with him as his splits are pretty different.
5/5/2015 3:22 PM
It's a combination of things.
1)  Low GB/FB yields HRs and partially negates your strong infield defense
2)  Small-ish sample size
3)  DH league
4) Your everyday C has a PC of 48.  

I'd expect an ERA of about 4.50 - 4.60 in HON (AL).  
5/5/2015 5:49 PM
I'm just upset that we have the same team name.
5/6/2015 10:37 AM
Seriously? I really thought it would be the only one with it. My favorite restaurant ever....
5/6/2015 11:22 AM
gf/fb.   He's batting practice
5/7/2015 6:12 PM
I'm surprised he's doing so poorly, I'd expect an ERA of around 3.6. But he did have a pretty high minor league whip (yes, I put a little stock in pitchers' minor league stats ). Some guys you can expect good things, but after awhile, their stats are what they're gonna produce.- Maybe it's because he's so fat.
5/8/2015 10:12 PM
Honolulu is not the best park for a right-hander who serves up a lot of fly balls. For me, GB/FB is just as important as any of the other major ratings.
5/8/2015 10:22 PM
5/8/2015 11:23 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 5/8/2015 11:23:00 PM (view original):
Why the hell is this guy tanking???

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Everth Seanez

Small sample size, but also shorten his PC to 85/90 or 80/90.  With your catcher I'd expect an ERA around 4.
5/9/2015 12:03 AM
Posted by foulballz on 5/8/2015 10:12:00 PM (view original):
I'm surprised he's doing so poorly, I'd expect an ERA of around 3.6. But he did have a pretty high minor league whip (yes, I put a little stock in pitchers' minor league stats ). Some guys you can expect good things, but after awhile, their stats are what they're gonna produce.- Maybe it's because he's so fat.
David Wells said "You don't run the ball to home plate."
5/9/2015 7:59 AM
I thought Wells just no hits the Twins while hungover, didn't know he had great quotes too. It would be awesome if height and weight were the missing ratings that explained all the weird things in HBD though. Mchale could have his "best pitches" formula licked if only he had included pitchers height.
5/9/2015 9:08 AM
I'll try it out with the pitch count.
5/9/2015 6:26 PM
trade him to oakland, id pay a pretty penny for him. That park his era would drop dramatically. so his value would be high. did you draft him or did you take over the franchise with him in the system.
5/10/2015 2:40 AM
12 Next ▸
What Am I Missing With This Pitcher? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.