Dear esteemed vets of the Hardball,

I would be curious to know if anyone has been able to determine the range where a patience rating must fall for a free agent to resign with his original team?
Will above 70 ratings players always resign?
Will those less than 30 never resign?
If they are less than 70 but more than 30 will they allow you to overpay them prior to the start of FA after the rollover?
I was able to sign a 32 patience player after the rollover but before the start of FA... and then, I have had others with higher patience ratings that seemingly would not give me the time of day.
Is there anyone who has investigated the impact of the patience rating?

Very curious,
JRNY
5/9/2015 8:59 PM
Well you just signed my star SP with an 89 patience rating, because he refused to resign with me.   I was pretty shocked to be honest.  I thought a guy with 89 would always resign.  
5/13/2015 9:39 AM
Wow. You are making me think that it is a total crapshoot as to whether they will resign or not.
Drisco - did you try and resign him last season? Did you get that message where they say "I am going FA no matter what you offer?"
I wonder if the agent has anything to do with the decision-making? Hmmm.
Has anybody researched the connection between FA asks and who their agents are?
Thanks for responding, Drisco. 
5/13/2015 12:10 PM (edited)
It is kind of a crap shoot.

I will say that MOST guys with patience 70ish or better will re-sign. Typically the exceptions I have encountered were guys with 85+ OVR, and even some of them will re-sign.

It seems to be some sort of combination of those two (Patience and OVR), but nothing I've been able to nail down.

5/13/2015 4:22 PM
I'm guessing the guy with an 89 PAT was arb'd in his 5th season...

I think the PAT rating works with player age.. I've never seen a guy with an 80+ that won't sign..
5/13/2015 4:35 PM
I just found the player with 89 PAT.. That is crazy that he didn't sign
5/13/2015 4:38 PM
Posted by willsauve on 5/13/2015 4:38:00 PM (view original):
I just found the player with 89 PAT.. That is crazy that he didn't sign
Well... 37 years old, rated 85 overall, had spent every season prior to going FA and signing with me on Drisco's squad. Won multiple WS. 
Now he plays for Drisco's division rival. 2 year deal. $20M each season with a $10M signing bonus.
Maybe there is something to the idea that since he was 85 overall he wanted to go FA? Drisco's offer must have been much lower than mine for the player to leave Drisco's squad for my team that had the 4th worst record in the league last season. With him on board, I am expecting a much higher win total this time around ;-)
5/13/2015 5:00 PM
This was a slightly different situation, but I still felt it was worth mention.  

He was willing to resign with me last season, but wanted 4 years, 8.5 mill.  I didn't feel comfortable locking him up till age 40.  My plan was to wait till the next season, see how much he's declined, then hopefully lock him up for a 1 or 2 year deal.   I had never had anyone refuse to sign with me in the pre season, who had previously been willing to sign at season's end.  
5/14/2015 4:42 PM
Most Type A players will refuse to resign if you leave them without a new contract going into the next season.

For 80+ OVR types, the patience threshold seems to be around 66-67 where they will always stay.  For 90+, I believe it is higher but don't have enough samples to know where.  For those under 80, the patience level is lower, but not sure exactly where.
5/14/2015 4:53 PM
Posted by jrnyfan01 on 5/9/2015 8:59:00 PM (view original):
Dear esteemed vets of the Hardball,

I would be curious to know if anyone has been able to determine the range where a patience rating must fall for a free agent to resign with his original team?
Will above 70 ratings players always resign?
Will those less than 30 never resign?
If they are less than 70 but more than 30 will they allow you to overpay them prior to the start of FA after the rollover?
I was able to sign a 32 patience player after the rollover but before the start of FA... and then, I have had others with higher patience ratings that seemingly would not give me the time of day.
Is there anyone who has investigated the impact of the patience rating?

Very curious,
JRNY
I'm still wondering which HBD vets you consider "esteemed".  Might want to raise your standards of esteem.
5/14/2015 6:15 PM
Posted by overeasy on 5/14/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Most Type A players will refuse to resign if you leave them without a new contract going into the next season.

For 80+ OVR types, the patience threshold seems to be around 66-67 where they will always stay.  For 90+, I believe it is higher but don't have enough samples to know where.  For those under 80, the patience level is lower, but not sure exactly where.
I learned that one the hard way as well, on a similar situation. Aging vet who always resigned, but I was limited the following season b/c of the automatic 20% drop, figured he'd sign anyways for another couple of seasons before he was put out to pasture, refused to negotiate prior to FA.
5/15/2015 1:49 PM
So I understand correctly.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jaime Serrano

H
es entering his 2nd arbitration year. After next season I will sign him to a 5 year contract instead of his final arbitration year.  With his patience rating will he sign a 2nd 5 year contract with me?
5/15/2015 2:05 PM
I would only sign him long term next season if the long term deal is cheaper than his arb demand.
With a 95 patience, he will be yours for his entire career at a way below market value salary as long as you sign him to new deals prior to rollover and don't play around with giving him any player or mutual option.
5/15/2015 4:00 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.