May 26th Update - Feedback Topic

And innings pitched for pitchers. 

6/22/2015 11:03 AM
Philosophical question for mikeT23. Does recent changes affect your thinking on MWR, tanking, etc. In other words, is there now less incentive to tank?
6/26/2015 6:16 PM
No.   Those who are prone to tanking will still tank.   They may not get the same result but the incentive to lower payroll and lose games is still there.  Picking first, even if it's less of a guarantee, is still better than picking 5th.    Always will be.
6/26/2015 6:55 PM
But now seems they need to budget more for scouting and international in order to get some fuzzy prospects. Anyway, thanks for the response
6/26/2015 7:00 PM

They do but so do the non-tankers.    Simply put, I have a 30m payroll and you have an 80m payroll.     After transfer, assuming we budget the same in IFA, I have 25m more than you.    Let's assume you only budget 10m in IFA, I'll budget 20m, get better projections and still have 15m more than you.    Same with draft, but, if I'm tanking, I KNOW I'm getting a high pick.   I want to be right. 

The incentive to cut payroll is greater in my opinion.    That's an unforeseen by-product that I think we're going to see. 

6/26/2015 7:23 PM
Your not going to get rid of tanking unless you 100% randomize the order of the draft for non playoff teams and cap money transfers to prospect budget. As long as there is a benefit to tanking people will tank.
6/30/2015 4:33 PM
Mike, you are tight.  Am thinking it can still happen but will take a few more seasons to do so and will perhaps be a little less of a sure thing due to progressions being more variable.  In addition, with 30 other teams, the more  owners following that strategy and chasing IFAs, the more difficult to succeed.
6/30/2015 5:33 PM

Tankers, for the most part, aren't concerned with how long it takes.   They dream of that 7 A/S, 125 win team sweeping thru the playoffs for 10 seasons in a row.   Tankers, for the most part, are sort of dumb.   They can't figure out a way to utilize "less than best" players so they feel like they have to have a loaded line-up.   What's worse is that the #1 seed doesn't even win on a regular basis.    Someone checked all worlds quite some time ago and a #1 seed was winning the WS less than 1/3 of the time.   Throwing away 6-8 seasons(2 real-life years) in order to build this "super team" only to win 3 WS over the next 3 real-life years is a fool's errand.   In part because the general consensus is "So what?   Any 'tard can tank it up for 6 seasons then win a WS."    And, if you can't get some measure of positive recognition from your peers, what are you doing?

7/1/2015 7:50 AM
not getting some measure of positive recognition from your peers?
7/1/2015 7:53 AM
That's what they're doing.
7/1/2015 7:55 AM
Sure.  No one in the real world cares about your HBD team.   So, obviously, you're testing your wits against 31 people who probably don't care about your team but they do care about their team.   If they out and out dismiss your success, all you have is your own personal sense of "accomplishment".   Might as well play Call of Duty or Madden.   No one in the real world will care about that either but it will be cheaper and less time consuming. 
7/1/2015 7:56 AM
So we just rolled into the first new season since the big update.  Should I be spending any money on ADV yet?  My major league team is in win now mode.

7/8/2015 8:58 PM
Posted by damag on 7/8/2015 8:58:00 PM (view original):
So we just rolled into the first new season since the big update.  Should I be spending any money on ADV yet?  My major league team is in win now mode.

If you're in "win now" mode, then no.  But you may want to anticipate when you'll be in the "trade for prospects" mode and plan for your ADV accordingly.
7/8/2015 9:31 PM
Good point. Thanks.
7/8/2015 11:30 PM
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
I'm now looking at our first draft board in Mantle under the new system.  The new fuzzier projections seem to be exactly that, as the ratings that I'm seeing "feel" to be much more varied than what I've seen in the past.

One thing that I'm noticing is that of the 276 college position players I'm seeing (with a COL budget of $20m), I'm not seeing a single SS with defensive projections that meet the recommendations of 80/85/85/85.  In a typical draft under the old system, I'd see at least 4 or 5.  So either this a a very weak draft board for SS, or the new system in much more fuzzier in terms of underrating prospects.

If the goal is to ensure that the draft is less of a "sure thing", especially for those guys who likely will get picked in the first round, they may have hit the mark.
7/14/2015 11:04 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26 Next ▸
May 26th Update - Feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.