Aspect of new update that is ridiculous. Topic

I don't think it matters.    Without currents, no one in their right mind is going to take a guy with the 8th pick based on 0 scouting. 
5/28/2015 1:22 PM
Maybe in their drunk mind, though.
5/28/2015 1:24 PM
Perhaps.   But, sometimes, doing something while drunk has a good result.  HBD should be no different. 
5/28/2015 1:26 PM
I might just take on another team so I can put 0m in ADV, IFA, COL, and HS, and see if I can make it work.
5/28/2015 1:27 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/28/2015 1:27:00 PM (view original):
I might just take on another team so I can put 0m in ADV, IFA, COL, and HS, and see if I can make it work.
Rickey just needs one ...
5/28/2015 1:29 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/28/2015 1:20:00 PM (view original):
What I didn't like about the amateur draft system was that you could even see Gagne with 0m in scouting. Was there any mention that this was going to be modified so you can't see the best players with very low scouting budgets?
You'll still have the same chance of seeing a great player, but you won't know whether the Jackson you're looking at is Reggie or Charlie.
5/28/2015 1:31 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/28/2015 1:27:00 PM (view original):
While drinking?
5/28/2015 1:32 PM
Eventually, probably.
5/28/2015 1:37 PM
Posted by torrone on 5/28/2015 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Keeping currents with it tied to the amount you put into scouting would have been a much better idea. Just eliminating it totally was a bad idea, IMO. Projections have been based on the amount you put into IFA/HS/COLL. Why not currents too?
I already knew that any amount I spent on scouting (even 20 million) would give me projections that were at least X percent bullshit.

WHAT possible good could it do to have Currents that are X percent bullshit?

Would I even want to see a player's card if I knew absolutely nothing on it could be correct?

5/28/2015 1:37 PM
We will all get used to this.   Instead of the 3 best players going in the top 5, they might go in the top 12.   The 12th best player might make it to the 2nd round.   None of this is bad.   Tankers would still rather pick 1st but they are no longer guaranteed to get one of the top 3 guys. 
5/28/2015 1:42 PM
I was just thinking the exact same thing.

5/28/2015 2:02 PM
I think it is an AWESOME update.

Way more likely that good solid players drop.

A guy spending 20M while several others play the 0 scouting game could realistically equate to said owner getting very solid BL players as late as 3rd 4th or even later rounds.

5/28/2015 2:20 PM
Whether the update will accomplish the goal of making ADV more important is debatable, but the change to prospect information seems certain to close a loophole. Someone spending $14M on HS or COL should get a better player at #20 than someone with $4M in HS/COL gets at #3, which has not been the case. It also makes a tiny dent in the benefits of tanking. If you're going to tank to get top picks, you'll want a good chunk of money in HS or COL for a few seasons. That will be less to spend on IFA/FA when you're ready to supplement your shiny new panzer, since it will take a few seasons to get scouting back down.

Beyond that, just the fact that they are attempting to improve the game is a good thing.
5/28/2015 2:41 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/28/2015 2:20:00 PM (view original):

A guy spending 20M while several others play the 0 scouting game could realistically equate to said owner getting very solid BL players as late as 3rd 4th or even later rounds.

To expand on this, you no longer know what the owners picking in front of you are spending.   You'll probably want to spend a little more time evaluating/ranking potential players.    If I was picking 25th, with 14m in HS/0 in college, I'd check to see what the teams picking in front of me had in scouting.   I'd run the prospects thru my formula, rank them that way and, as always, re-order a few.   I took no time re-ordering the top 5 HS players, assuming 10 teams before me had adequate scouting, because I knew they weren't dropping to me.   Now I won't know who has what so I need to be more precise. 
5/28/2015 3:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/28/2015 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchales_army on 5/28/2015 2:20:00 PM (view original):

To expand on this, you no longer know what the owners picking in front of you are spending.   You'll probably want to spend a little more time evaluating/ranking potential players.    If I was picking 25th, with 14m in HS/0 in college, I'd check to see what the teams picking in front of me had in scouting.   I'd run the prospects thru my formula, rank them that way and, as always, re-order a few.   I took no time re-ordering the top 5 HS players, assuming 10 teams before me had adequate scouting, because I knew they weren't dropping to me.   Now I won't know who has what so I need to be more precise. 
Especially if some owners actually decide to go the "punt development altogether" route.

The more that happens the higher the chances that a diligent owner with decent scouting budgets can get some serious depth out of a single draft. Especially those seasons when the draft class is fairly deep.

The only thing is no one will ever know how many owners are actually punting.

Also, you may no longer use the "go against the grain" method in choosing HS or College, because you won't know.

Overall the more thought I put in to strategies the more I really really like the move and think it will make the game so much better and so much more challenging.
5/28/2015 3:43 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Aspect of new update that is ridiculous. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.